Immortal Words - Saurano Direnni

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Kittym

Hey Wooly - just wanted to let you know that I have been enjoying everything you write but don't think I've ever bothered to tell you! I still like re-reading Hrisskars diary... it is like a pleasant trip down Skyrim memory lane.. Anyway I know you're a busy guy but I really hope you don't stop giving us more stuff to read!

BIGwooly

Sorry everyone, it's hard to run your own business AND travel a lot and still find time to do this kind of stuff. I'm going to try and get back into it now, since I've got a bit of free time coming up.

Kittym, thanks for the support. It's people like you that keep me going on this. d;-)

BIGwooly

Mournhold - Midday

As well as everything went last night, I've made a critical error. Well, two critical errors.

The gravest of the two is that I failed to remove the signet ring from the King's hand. A ring that carries a powerful enchantment to constantly heal and restore your fatigue, as well as full protection against paralysis and magic. It is even rumored to fully reflect damage done to the wearer, a rumor which I found to be true last night. The ring was truly a priceless prize, and I was a fool to leave it behind. I was caught up in the excitement of my accomplishment. My current frustration over this error cannot be measured.

The second critical error is that I failed to secure a reliable escape from the city. I was so focused on my goal, and so certain I was going to die attempting it, that I overlooked my exit plan. I foolishly assumed I could just go back to my mansion and operate from there. But the fact of the matter is that I need to cure myself of this vampirism or I'm going to be doomed to a life in the dark. I'm going to need to leave the city and return to Vvardenfell if I want to cure myself. But I can't just leave. The daylight burns my skin, and the city guard is on full alert to locate and kill me. I'm trapped inside this cursed house.

I need to calm myself down and think. There has to be a way out ...

BIGwooly

Mournhold - Morning

It's taken me two nights of wandering the city in the dark to find someone willing to smuggle me out of it. The price is a dear one. The only way for him to smuggle me out is as a slave on a slave ship, headed to the province of Cyrodiil. We'll travel over land via wagons to Thorn in Black Marsh, board the slave ship, and then sail to the port of Leyawiin. One caveat of all of this is I have to look the part of a slave. I won't be able to travel with anything on me aside from stinking rags. No armor. No weapons. No potions. No gold. No rings or amulets. Nothing.

As it is, I've had to pay a heavy price just for the service. The smuggler requested a high price, understandably. If it wasn't bad enough that I'm the most wanted soul in Morrowind, I'm also under the sickness of vampirism. I've had to part with all of my gold and most of my belongings, including my beloved Amulet of Shadows. While I won't be able to carry any armor or weapons, the smuggler has agreed to transport an enchanted dagger for me and a few pieces of my glass armor. When we make port in Leyawiin he will set me free and give me the smuggled items, and from there I'll be on my own.

I didn't tell him about this book, and I'm going to do my best to smuggle that myself. It's odd that I'm willing to make the journey without a weapon, but not this book. It's become my life.

BIGwooly

Thorn - Night

The first leg of the journey is complete. It wasn't easy, as we had to travel during the day since the roads aren't safe at night. I have a cloaked robe, but it is still quite a challenge to keep myself hidden from the harshness of the sun. Luckily the last two days it has done nothing but rain.

The smuggler captain, Direnis, if that is even his real name ... managed to put me in a cart with supplies, away from the other slaves. He says he will try and do the same aboard the ship. As much as I don't want any trouble, he doesn't either. It is best for all of us if no one knows my identity or my condition.

This is the first chance I've had to write since we left. There are too many eyes around and I can't risk losing this book. I should probably put it away now. I hear footsteps.

BIGwooly

Setting Sun - unknown

I'm aboard the ship now, and feeling much less nervous. The land journey was by far the riskiest leg. So much could have gone wrong, but now that I'm aboard the "Setting Sun" it should be smooth sailing to Leyawiin. As promised, I was set apart from the other slaves, which has proven to be advantageous for a number of reasons. Aside from the smell and risk of being identified, I'm not shackled to a post for the next 10 days or so.

Only the captain has the key to this storage room, or so he said, so I shouldn't need to worry about anyone stumbling in unexpected. I have a slight concern that the captain could try to double-cross me and turn me over, but if he was going to do that I don't see why he wouldn't have done it back in Mournhold. Still, I'm at his mercy and it makes me uncomfortable.

There's really not much else to write at the moment. I'm in the dark, with barely any room to move amongst barrels and crates. I have nothing to do other than ponder how to best put my newfound infamy to work for me. But first I'll need to find a cure for my vampirism, and I have no idea how to go about that yet.

BIGwooly

Setting Sun - unknown

I believe it's been three days. It's difficult to tell. I'm feeling quite seasick as the seas have gotten rougher and rougher. Direnis checked in on me a bit ago and brought some fresh water. I can't figure him out. I've made him a rich man, but he could be even more wealthy if he turned me over. Perhaps he didn't like the King. He seems to like me.

He told me that if the weather worsened they would sail closer to the coast to get away from it, but that it was best to use the stormy weather as cover for as long as they could. I simply nodded my head, unable to speak for fear I would vomit again. I'm really not feeling well, and on top of that I'm feeling the urge to feed ... as a vampire does.

BIGwooly

Setting Sun - unknown

This voyage has become a nightmare. The weather hasn't improved. If anything it's gotten worse, and Direnis is already sailing as close to the coast as he dares. I can't keep anything down, food or water, and worse yet my craving for blood has become overwhelming. Food has no taste to me. Direnis is the only face I see each day, once in the morning and once in the evening I believe, although I've completely lost track of which is which. His is the only face I've seen for days and days now, and it's becoming unbearably difficult to not feed on him. Surely we are close to Leyawiin, or at least close to the edge of this storm.

I can't suppress my urge for much longer. I can't stay locked up for much longer.

BIGwooly

Unknown - night

I can't believe I'm alive.

I was in a fitful sleep, trying to brace myself against the barrels and crates as the ship tossed back and forth ... when suddenly there was a loud crash. It was like thunder in my ears, the sound of wood splintering and cracking. And then I felt a rush of cold ... as water surrounded me ... and then I was being pulled away. I felt barrels and crates all around me, swirling and dancing .. slamming into me. I clutched to the book with one arm as if my life depended on it, and with the other I reached out for salvation.

And I felt a bit of rope and grabbed onto it, my eyes shut against the freezing water. I felt myself floating, hoping it was upward and not down. And it was. Moments later I surfaced and gasped for air, clinging to a shred of rope that was somehow still attached to a floating barrel. A storm was raging and I could barely see through the constant spray of salt water and rain. Even with my vampiric night vision it was hard to make anything out, but I did see the stern of the Setting Sun just as it disappeared under the rolling waves. It had sunk like a sack of stones.

I clung to the rope and the barrel with all my might as the storm tossed me around and made me more ill than ever. Some time later I was carried onto a beach by the crashing waves. I managed to claw my way up the shore to a large tree, and collapsed. Exhausted.

I passed out shortly after and just woke up now. I have no idea where I'm at, or more importantly, what time it is. I need to find shelter right away before the sun rises or I'll be dead in no time, even if it's cloudy. I'm going to head into the forest and see if I can find a cave or an abandoned structure.

BIGwooly

Cave - Morning

I wandered off into the forest. Walked for hours before I came across an old fort. It looked abandoned, but upon entering I discovered a band of marauders was using it as a hideout. I decided to leave and head back to the coast. I could follow it until I found a village perhaps. But as I exited the fort I was spotted by a marauder scout that was patrolling outside. I had missed him before. I ran off into the night with him in pursuit, yelling insults and threats. I lost him after a few minutes, but by then I was thoroughly lost in the woods, with no idea when daylight would break.

I continued on, with a mixed of caution and anxiousness. It was hard to move slowly, knowing that time was against me. There were several additional close calls over the next few hours, but I managed to escape from the creatures of the wild each time. But then I noticed the sky. It was lightening.

With a pit in my stomach I threw caution to the wind and began running. My eyes were searching frantically for cover of any kind, but I wasn't finding it. And then I felt the first burn of the new day's sun. Panic set in. I only had minutes now to find something, and there was nothing.

But by the gods, if I believed in them, at that very moment I crested a hill and spotted wooden steps leading up to a cave. There was a goblin patrolling out front. I had no weapon, only tattered rags and a tattered hood and this book. Not even shoes on my feet. I couldn't attack the beast, especially since the sun was already burning my life away. But I had to get inside that cave. I had to get out of the light.

I ran toward the goblin, to get his attention, and then drew him away from the entrance. There was a giant rockpile nearby and I led him behind it so that he wouldn't see me enter the cave. If the sun wasn't enough of a problem, I had no idea what awaited me beyond the cave door. But I knew I couldn't have him follow me inside and alert the others. He had to think I had run off and escaped.

By yet another stroke of luck my plan worked, and I managed to get inside the cave undetected, although nearly dead. I was weak and in extreme pain, but I was alive. Better yet, there was no goblin waiting to slit my throat on the inside. Just a long, dark empty tunnel leading down.

I couldn't risk waiting at the door in case the goblin outside decided to check inside the cave. So down the tunnel I went, using my vampiric vision to see in the dark and spot any life ahead of me. The only life immediately ahead of me was a mud crab, though, and I quietly snuck up behind it and ended it's life with my bare hands. I'll be eating it's meat as the day progresses. I'm going to need the meal, and more again soon.

The tunnel led to a small room with a firepit, a smashed crate and a chest. I was hoping the chest at least had something useful for me, but it didn't. Just some gold and a lockpick, both of which right now are worthless to me. I need food and a weapon, and shoes ... and a bed to rest and heal my wounds. It's a lot to ask for and I don't expect to find what I need in here.

I'm going to have to wait and then leave in the evening. The trouble is, I have no idea of knowing when that is, and I can't just poke my head outside the door.

BIGwooly

Unknown Forest - Night

After making sure I found a suitably secluded spot, I rested in the cave for a few hours and recovered from my burns. But I awoke to the same dilemma I fell asleep to. I needed to leave the cave but I couldn't risk stepping back out into the light in full view of the goblin guard. I waited by the door for what seemed like days, trying to decide what to do ... trying to come up with a plan. But there was no plan. It was just .. sneak out and hope that the sun had set.

So eventually after agonizing hours of waiting, I did just that. I sneaked out the door, and to my great joy it was dark out. Even better, the goblin guard was a good thirty paces away, walking away from me. I quickly searched a barrel next to the door, hoping to find a weapon or something of use. I found an old set of clothes ... shoes, trousers and a shirt. Not the best find, but better than the rags I was wearing. And it was nice that the shoes mostly fit. My feet were already quite a mess from running through the forest earlier.

I turned and headed up the stairs, quickly but quietly, and found they led to a road. I probably should have taken it downhill, in hopes of reaching the coast again, but I didn't think of that until just now. Instead I headed uphill, and after a bit of walking I came across a fork in the road. To the right I could make out a whitish structure of sorts, so I headed that way.

I'm inside the structure now, which is some sort of ancient ruin. There are glowing crystals provided some sort of magical light, and I've just stumbled across several dead rats. Judging from the stars I saw before I headed inside, dawn will be coming soon. So as much as this new place makes me uncomfortable, I think I will shelter her until the new night arrives.

BIGwooly

Ruins - Night

The sounds within these ruins were preventing me from sleeping, as was the sight of the dead rats and the blood on the walls. So I decided to poke around a bit to make sure it was safe. There was a trap just inside the ruins, with giant swinging blades coming out from the walls. No doubt this is what had killed the rats that lay strewn about underneath the blades. But I wanted to be sure.

I carefully navigated through the swinging blades, knowing any one of them would cut me in half if I wasn't on my toes. It was all about timing and being quick on my feet, which wasn't too difficult. A trap like this is more mental than anything else. And quickly enough I was past it.

Not too far beyond the trap was a small room with three passages leading away. The passage ahead was blocked by an iron gate, which appeared to be unlocked. Using my vampiric vision I could see the faint sign of life ahead beyond the gate .. a person. So I checked the passages to either side first. Both led to a large room underneath a balcony where the aforementioned person was standing. I found a chest in one of the passages and tried to unlock it but broke my only lockpick. I'm hoping there was nothing but some gold in it.

I went back up to the smaller room and quietly unlatched the gate. I wasn't keen on getting into a fight with the person ahead of me, I just wanted to get a better look at them and judge them as a threat. I crept closer, sticking to the shadows. They had their back to me, and I could see a quiver of arrows and a bow. I was happy to see it was another dark elf like myself, and not some undead soul that would end my life in a blink of an eye.

For some time I sat there in the shadows, observing the woman. She had no idea I was so close behind her, and just went about her business, which seemed to consist of standing as a lookout for some unknown master. As much as I wanted to just creep back out and get some sleep, I couldn't help but notice she was around my size. She had a bit of armor, including some very nice looking boots, and it all looked like it would fit me ... much better than the oversized pants and shoes I was currently wearing. More importantly, she had a weapon, and I desperately needed a weapon.

But still the issue was gauging her threat. From what I could see, I felt as though I could take her. But appearances aren't everything, and she had the advantage of armor and weapons, to my cloth and bare fists. I had the advantage of surprise, which is not to be underestimated I also had the advantage of increased abilities due to my current sickness. But ultimately, I had no way of knowing if I could kill her or not. I had to make a decision soon, though, before she was relieved by another lookout and I was discovered.

With significant hesitation, I decided to try and kill her. I used my vampiric ability to disappear, to ensure I could close the distance to her without being spotted. I would have rather retained this ability, which I can only use once per day, to escape if things took a turn for the worse. But I knew if I didn't maintain my surprise attack the whole endeavor would be in danger, and it was worth the risk to try and obtain the armor and weapons.

So disappear I did, and I snuck up close behind her until I could hear her breathing. Then I used my bare hands and struck her as hard as I could, and knocked her to the ground. For a moment I paused, in shock. I thought I had killed her. But a moment later she was rising to her feet and I gained my senses. From there the fight was brutal and animalistic. She drew a sharp dagger and I did my best to avoid it. My hands rained down on her and I felt her blade over and over. I began to focus my blows, conserving my energy for stronger attacks. These seemed to knock her to the ground fairly often. Each time this happened I gained a bit of an advantage over her, being able to strike her without resistance.

The fight dragged on and on, and I began to worry. She was landing some vicious attacks with her dagger, and I was beginning to feel weak from the damage. I couldn't keep up the fight much longer. With a renewed frenzy I went after her, clawing at her like a wounded bear. And when she fell to the ground once more, I raised up both hands together and struck the back of her head. She let out a painful moan and fell to the floor, and was dead a few moments later.

I was out of breath, but ecstatic. I quickly stripped her boots off, which were made of gleaming mithril, and replaced the old shoes on my feet. A perfect fit! The same went for the cuirass, also made of mithril ... and for the felt pants, which felt so much better than the rough, worn trousers that didn't even fit me. I confiscated her elven bow and about a dozen elven arrows, and got it all equipped on myself. The only thing left was the dagger, but I couldn't find it.

I was more than happy to have the bow, but after counting only ten arrows I knew it was not a long term weapon solution. I had never used this bow before either, so I was likely to miss on my first several shots unless I was close to my target. No. I needed to find that dagger. I looked all around and couldn't find it, but finally I decided to drag her body away from where she fell, and there was the dagger underneath her. It was a very nice dagger, a dwarven dagger, and very sharp and solidly built like all dwarven weaponry.

Now I just need to find food, or someone to feed on ...

BIGwooly

Village - Night

After nearly being spotted by several bandits in the ruins, I determined it was best if I left and sought refuge someone safer. I rest for a short bit on a dark ledge that I managed to climb and jump over to, and after that I headed off into the night. But not until I had stepped out into daylight several times, forcing me to wait around in the ruins for the sun to set. But set it finally did and when I finally walked out into darkness it was in the middle of a wild rainstorm. Perfect.

I wandered out into the rain, and after a very short walk .. within sight of the ruins actually, I discovered an inn. Eager to get out of the cold rain I stepped inside, and felt the immediate warmth of a well-stoked fireplace. There were two individuals up at this late hour ... the innkeep and an imperial guard. The presence of the imperial guard tells me I must indeed be in Cyrodiil. Where at I have no idea. I'll need to get my hands on a map sometime soon.

More importantly, the innkeeper refused to serve me, and raised his voice out of fear and disgust at my condition. It made me anxious, considering the imperial guard within earshot, so I left him alone and quickly left the inn before an incident could occur. It wasn't easy walking back out into the driving rain, not after feeling the fire's warmth and seeing loaves of bread and bunches of fresh fruit begging to be eaten. For that matter, the innkeep himself looks somewhat tasty. I would have made him my dinner if it weren't for the guard. I'm in no condition to fight an imperial guard. The vampirism has given me certain advantages, but I'm weak from my journey and lack of food, and I'm not familiar with these weapons and armor I have. No, I need to be very cautious still.

Back out in the storm I wandered the road, hoping to find another suitable place to rest my head for the coming day, and hopefully find some food. I've eaten the rat meat that I pulled from the dead rats. It was most disgusting, particularly because it was raw, but I need the nourishment.

It wasn't too long on the road before I was ambushed by a goblin. At first I drew the dwarven dagger and attempted to put up a fight, but he was besting me rapidly, and before long I was running for my life. I was hanging onto it by a mere thread, and dashing through the thunderstorm with the angry goblin right on my heels. And if that wasn't enough, as I was fleeing I came across a highwayman, who proceeded to join in the chase just as I was losing the goblin. So I continued running .. and ran and ran until I had lost the criminal as well.

And now I've come across a sleepy village. Three cottages ... no guards in sight. I need to choose one to enter, and hope to the gods that the owner is fast asleep. I'm so close to death, a stern look in my direction could kill me. Please be asleep. Please .....

BIGwooly

Village - Night

The woman was asleep when I snuck inside. I was lucky she didn't keep her door locked. She was so peaceful lying there, and didn't awake as I fed on her. My hunger for blood melted away with each drop I took in. Afterwards I had planned to leave, but I was in desperate need of a place to tend to my wounds. So while I was still crouched next to her I drew my dagger and plunged it deep into the unfortunate woman. She awoke, of course, and there was a violent scuffle that followed. She was an archer it turns out, as she didn't draw a blade on me but instead picked up a bow.

Now I was very close to death still, and a single arrow was very likely to kill me. So I danced around her the best I could, avoiding her shots and stabbing at her every chance I got. The fight went on for some time, and flowed from the bedroom to her living quarters, and then to a small storage area. Somehow I managed to avoid her shots. I still don't know how a single one didn't scratch me. She breathing her last breath eventually, and it was only then that I noticed she held an ebony bow and had been loosing enchanted arrows at me. Surely if a single one had found it's mark I would have been the one breathing her last breath.

Dawn was approaching, and I couldn't be seen leaving the cottage where this woman had been murdered. So I took her gold and her bow and some of her arrows and fled to the hills above the village. From there I watched all day as the other villagers went about their business. Eventually I grew wearing of watching them and wandered around a bit. I was very cautious still, considering my health was in dire straights. But I located a nearby fort and a set of ruins as well. Either could potentially work well to stage from for the time being, while I use the woman's cottage at night to rest and heal. Eventually perhaps I can introduce myself to the other villagers and see if perhaps I can take over the woman's cottage. Of course, I'll have to wait for some time so they can discover her body and come to terms with what happened. Then hopefully when I make my appearance it won't be suspicious at all.

As night fell over the village tonight I entered the cottage and rested for several hours, regaining my health and strength. After this I arose, snuck into another of the cottage and fed on the man sleeping inside. I'm definitely developing a taste for blood.

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
Glad to see you have taken up the proverbial pen again.

I'll have you know I was following Hrisskar and this journal long before I joined the forums. I expect if I was doing so there are probably a number of other people who have never registered for an account who have enjoyed your writings.

Looking foward to more.

BIGwooly

Glad to see you have taken up the proverbial pen again.

I'll have you know I was following Hrisskar and this journal long before I joined the forums. I expect if I was doing so there are probably a number of other people who have never registered for an account who have enjoyed your writings.

Looking foward to more.

Thanks for the support. It can be tough to do this with my crazy work schedule. Glad you enjoy the reads, though! The slaying of the king blew my mind. I couldn't believe it actually worked. Now she's back to square one and I have a feeling things could get dicey again. She's nearly died several times already!

BIGwooly

Village - Morning

Several days have passed and I've monitored the village from the outlying forest. Nothing changes on a daily basis. I'm certain by now they are wondering what happened to their neighbor, who was a man it turns out, not a woman. I couldn't tell in the dark that night. They will never find his body, regardless. He was obviously a hunter, and over time it will be assumed he was lost in the woods. There are plenty of ways to die out here.

Each day I've ventured further and further out from the village, and yesterday I discovered a walled city nearby. I may venture there today, although the presence of guards at the gates makes me leery. I think I'll stow my bow and arrows, as well as my armor, and just shuffle in like another nobody. Maybe afterwards I'll head into the village and see if I can make acquaintance with the others there, and secure the cottage as my own. It's likely they will want something in return, so I should be prepared for that. Perhaps I'll offer up something first. I'd rather do that than have them ask for gold, as I don't have much. And besides, I'd rather spend my measly pocket on some health potions in the city. I have a feeling I'm going to need them.

BIGwooly

Blankenmarch - Afternoon

I've spoken with the men in the village and learned it is called Blankenmarch. They had nothing to say about their missing neighbor, so perhaps he wasn't well-liked and they see it as gift that he's gone. Regardless, I've offered to clear out the nearby abandoned fort as a good faith payment for taking the dead man's home. They didn't seem to care, and now I'm wishing I hadn't said I'd do it. But I already said I would and if I don't want to cause waves I should probably try and follow through on my pledge.

I'll head over tonight under the cover of darkness ... after I feed on the nord, of course.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts