• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Twiffle

I totally agree, which is why I started to use random choices at key points in the game. Now I can't plan on going through the Riverwood scenario you describe since half the time (Heads or Tails), I don't go to Riverwood at the start.

im just about to semi-retire a build, mainly because i want to try your idea of a simple heads or tails, see were it goes, along the lines of heads=left, tails=right, heads=yes do quest, tails=dont do quest so on and so forth you get the idea, lol, might even do a random race choice etc etc.

Moris

Just an observation I thought about last night, and it will probably ruffle a few feathers.
It has occurred to me that we have lost the essence of the game, it has now become a game of levelling all we seem to do now is leave Helgen with our Architypical character in mind, then we proceed to do the quests/tasks we have done countless times to perfect the character into a perfect build,
EG, i can leave Helgen go to Riverwood and after visiting around 5 close locations and a small quest i could be at level 7 with 5-7000 gold before i got to Whiterun, not including Bleakfalls, or the Archery glitch
or even sneak trick in Embershard.
So basically we have complicated this game so much we have (i include myself) lost sight of what we have in our hands. We have changed a wonderfully crafted GAME called SKYRIM, into a levelling challenge, the pursuit of a perfect character without actually playing the game and enjoying it anymore, as in life we make mistakes, well dont you think old Dova will make mistakes, we dont seem to just leave Helgen with our character in mind and just PLAY and enjoy the game as Bethesda meant it to be,, pure enjoyment. Yes.. Yes i know the levelling system is so exploitable for EG Illusion muffle, but IMHO thats because we seek perfection instead of playing SKyrim as a game of fun and see what happens anymore, Hands up how many have spammed Illusion muffle to level, , instaed of just cast, cast again when it wears off and others as well, just a levelling game not an RPG to be enjoyed, if we make a mistake, so be it, it actually may become fun again. . .

Just my thoughts, make of them what you like, but no insults please, TY

I tried very hard to get all of that out of my system with the first few characters I played. It was fun, at first, learning how stuff works in Skyrim. But after a bit the tedium sets in. I stopped. As a result, there's still plenty for me to learn about how things work (I'm wrong in a good many of my assumptions, and could use a lot of correction), should I want to go that route.

However, at the moment, and for a very long time, I've forbidden myself to do any math while playing. That one simple thing eliminates perfectly efficient min/maxing. It forces me to play by ear, as it were. It's a different kind of fun.

Twiffle

I tried very hard to get all of that out of my system with the first few characters I played. It was fun, at first, learning how stuff works in Skyrim. But after a bit the tedium sets in. I stopped. As a result, there's still plenty for me to learn about how things work (I'm wrong in a good many of my assumptions, and could use a lot of correction), should I want to go that route.

However, at the moment, and for a very long time, I've forbidden myself to do any math while playing. That one simple thing eliminates perfectly efficient min/maxing. It forces me to play by ear, as it were. It's a different kind of fun.

a little shorter than mine, , but yes Exactly, :)

Baelor

Just an observation I thought about last night, and it will probably ruffle a few feathers.
It has occurred to me that we have lost the essence of the game, it has now become a game of levelling all we seem to do now is leave Helgen with our Architypical character in mind, then we proceed to do the quests/tasks we have done countless times to perfect the character into a perfect build,
EG, i can leave Helgen go to Riverwood and after visiting around 5 close locations and a small quest i could be at level 7 with 5-7000 gold before i got to Whiterun, not including Bleakfalls, or the Archery glitch
or even sneak trick in Embershard.
So basically we have complicated this game so much we have (i include myself) lost sight of what we have in our hands. We have changed a wonderfully crafted GAME called SKYRIM, into a levelling challenge, the pursuit of a perfect character without actually playing the game and enjoying it anymore, as in life we make mistakes, well dont you think old Dova will make mistakes, we dont seem to just leave Helgen with our character in mind and just PLAY and enjoy the game as Bethesda meant it to be,, pure enjoyment. Yes.. Yes i know the levelling system is so exploitable for EG Illusion muffle, but IMHO thats because we seek perfection instead of playing SKyrim as a game of fun and see what happens anymore, Hands up how many have spammed Illusion muffle to level, , instaed of just cast, cast again when it wears off and others as well, just a levelling game not an RPG to be enjoyed, if we make a mistake, so be it, it actually may become fun again. . .

Just my thoughts, make of them what you like, but no insults please, TY

This is a very good observation, and I know I've pretty much fallen into this cycle on every character I've played. I always have a character build in mind, and even when I say I am just going to explore and roleplay, I end up seeking our certain quests or locations in order to get an item or gain experience. I've never TRULY just live in the world of Skyrim and let things come to me randomly.

For example, on my weapons+board characters, I know I always want to do either Companions or the Solitude quests so I can get the Shield of Solitude. I've done that quest countless times. Perhaps on my final playthrough I will just enjoy the game and stop seeking out items and quests.

TomatoThief

So basically we have complicated this game so much we have (i include myself) lost sight of what we have in our hands. We have changed a wonderfully crafted GAME called SKYRIM, into a levelling challenge...

I appreciate your viewpoint. To counter, for folks of a similar feather, the ability to ignore game trivializing mechanics is limited. We are not dealing with a few developer oversights or easter eggs like my oft-cited "enchanted daedric sword hidden in a bush". Skyrim, along with it's Elder Scrolls predecessors, is so riddled with mechanics that trivialize difficulty that you have to resign yourself to playing with horse-blinders in which much of the game content is ignored, or accept that you are playing an interactive storybook.

This might be passable if, as an open-ended near sandbox style game, Skyrim's skills and quests and items were so complicated in their interaction that weeding out exploits would be nigh impossible. But it's not. Most of it is so simple and overt that it can be solved by the most inexperienced of modders. This is what chaps my bee-hiney.

There doesn't need to be an overhaul. Steps toward balance can be hotpatched immediately and cheaply. It'll never be completely balanced. There will always be exploits. But that's no excuse for not trying.

TT

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
You're speaking about things that aren't anywhere near viable until end game
The build is viable early in the game. I committed to the build from the start of my Archer's game, always at Master Difficulty setting, and had no problems. It was very satisfying and more entertaining than than one shotting everything from a distance, which gets very boring very fast. The only thing I regret doing was putting any perks in one-handed as I didn't need to rely on melee combat even remotely as much as I thought I would have to. I haven't touched a melee weapon for combat since about level 28 and I rarely used one after level 12.
The idea that I'm going to stand my ground...
Why would you do something as stupid as stand in one place? It's not a prerequisite to fire arrows from your bow. The whole point of the Ranger perk is to give you the mobility, coupled with the stagger effect from Power Shot to keep enemies out of melee range for most of a battle. Steady Hand effectively doubles your firing rate because even though the animation is slowed by 50% the actual time to make a full draw is still in real time. It also allows you to fire with great accuracy while moving. You can get the Ice Form Shout at a very early level and can also put a paralyze enchantment on your bow as early as level 22 for additional crowd control. This is all viable with only 60 Archery Skill so it's not even endgame strategy. Once you have Quicks Shot your firing rate is even faster.

The point of the video wasn't about how many shots Legolas uses. It's about the fact that one of the most iconic fantasy archers portrayed cinematically uses his bow at all ranges, is extremely mobile and is most definitely not a stealth archer. I don't need to one shot my enemies. I just need to put them down before they can do any significant damage to my character and the build is extremely efficient at doing this. My Archer doesn't even use a Daedric Bow. She uses an Ebony Bow because it has the best balance of firing rate and damage and firing rate is important for open combat. She can in fact, kill most enemies in 2 to 3 shots. But even when it takes several more she can dictate the terms of engagement, i.e. keep out of melee distance the overwhelming majority of the time. You can scoff at the viability all you want but it's simply a matter of fact that the build and playstyle is viable as it's worked quite well for my character in handling all game content from beginning to endgame.

Baelor

Dagmar your knowledge of Skyrim is impressive.

How do you see the firing rates of bows in game? Is it an obvious thing I've simply overlooked for the past year?

Neriad13

Premium Member
Why don't you take a break from Skyrim and play another game for a bit? Chronic re-rolling, in my similar case at least, was symptomatic of burnout and boredom with the game. Jumping into other games with completely different mechanics was great for me after nearly a solid year of Skyrim. It was wonderful to go into something not knowing every detail of how to play it and feel the rush of learning on the fly again. I don't doubt that I'll return to Skyrim at some point - there's still so much that I haven't done, that I want to see for myself and I do still have a great love for the game. But for the time being, a change of pace is a very good thing.

San Abrusco

Watching you, all day, every day.
Neriad13 said:
Why don't you take a break from Skyrim and play another game for a bit?

This pretty much sums it up. Skyrim is massive and its freedom of choice - for me - drove me to create a character for each build/faction, which, of course, left me with about ten different level ones. After a few minutes of fury, I was compelled to place the controller down, eject the disc, and replace it with something different. That was truly a brilliant idea.

I now have a desire to return after a few months of Assassin's Creed 3 and Hitman: Absolution. But I'm still faced with those ten level ones... Ah, well, at least you're not alone, eh?

Twiffle

This going to sound terrible on this thread, but im about to re-roll again .. .. .. Why? you ask
Well, after a year of playing i just discovered what the atronach forge does, ,
i know, i know, but i just have to do a build based on the staffs and scrolls, ,

Dude I cannot tell you how many times i have done that.. I have about 8 characters all past level 30 some 40 and when I start coming around level 30 I feel this urge to start a new character because something about my current one dosent make me happy.. Its ludacris because there is absolutely nothing wrong with them, their looks are always on point and so is my skill trees.. I basically feel im scared the game is going to end and just start over lol.

I thought i was the only one im so glad im not the only one who feels the same way. My girlfriend said this weekend arent you tired of starting over... and honestly no I guess i dont get tired lolo_O

Twiffle

I thought i was the only one im so glad im not the only one who feels the same way. My girlfriend said this weekend arent you tired of starting over... and honestly no I guess i dont get tired lolo_O

welcome to the club, , , :D

welcome to the club, , , :D

hahah thanks :D Im dead serious I just joined this forums about a week ago. I love the discussions here, not to mention im highly addicted to skyrim lol. When i saw this thread I feel a little bit(okay maybe alotta bit lol) better about my obsessive compulsion to start a new character every week or so lol

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Dagmar your knowledge of Skyrim is impressive.

How do you see the firing rates of bows in game? Is it an obvious thing I've simply overlooked for the past year?
You can't see them ingame. You can see all weapon speed values with the Creation Kit. A bunch of UESP contributors obsessed with Bow DPS reverse engineered the formula for draw time for each bow based on that value and loads of testing and posted the information in the Skyrim Archery page on that site.

Katastrophe

King of Tales

Well I get tired of it and I have stopped. Between Assassin's Creed 3 and Halo 4, I haven't played much. But Skyrim is honestly the best open world RPG I've played in a long time. It's not perfect and I'm disappointed TES:O isn't going to be a "full" MMO... but I think ahead to TES6 and I just... wonder.

My issue is that I've never fully experienced the game. It's hilarious that I've had this game for over a year, I've bought all the DLC packs on the day they came out, and I've done nothing. But I don't consider it a waste at all. I enjoy playing this game. I just wanna finish the damn thing. But I really like this backstory I've put together and like others said, maybe just accepting that I always end up playing a stealth archer type will allow me to just push through.

Also, the giant white box in your sig bothers me, so I inverted it and cleaned it up.
DIfrd.png

jRi0T68

Nobody would ever make past step 1 out 12 without rolling a new character, and I'd rp the facilitator and charge everyone 100 septims an hour to listen to you all discuss your problems.

Twiffle

1. We admitted we were powerless over Re-Rolling - that our lives had become unmanageable.
  2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
  3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of Bethesda, and Forums.
  4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of our weapons and perks
  5. Admitted to the Forums, to ourselves, and to another NPC being the exact nature of our wrongs.
  6. Were entirely ready to have the Nine Divines remove all these defects of character.
  7. Humbly asked Them to remove our shortcomings, Deseases and Poisons
  8. Made a list of all NP'C we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
  9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, unless they or others deserved it.
  10. Continued to take personal inventory, and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it and Re-Rolled.
  11. Sought through shrines and Magicka to improve our conscious contact with the Nine as we understood Them, praying only for knowledge of Combat/Stealth and Magicka for us and the power to carry more Loot.
  12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to Re-Roll aholics, and to practice these principles in all our Re-Rolls and builds.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts