• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Even after all this time, I always get lost looking for Esbern in the Ratways. Are there places that other people always have a problem with? Does this depend on each player, or are some locations really more difficult than others?

Wildroses

It's only recently I've stopped getting lost in Windhelm.

I get ever so lost in the Ratway no matter who or what I'm looking for. One time I was looking for the Flagon because I needed to talk to Vex about the drunk in Winterhold's dead girlfriend and spent half an hour of real time walking in circles. Another time I completely failed to find the Dunmer farmer's bow despite having the quest arrow activated and ended up finding Esbern, which was fascinating as he has a completely new set of dialogue if you haven't started the quest to find him. I kept knocking on the door because he had about five to eight different lines before he'd just scream at me to go away.

Any Dwemer dungeon you can guarantee I'm going to get lost in. Also any large caves. One time I saw a comic comparing a soldier in real life and a video game seeing an enemy. The one in real life says: "I'd better find another way around." The one in the video game runs out guns blazing while saying: "Yippee! This means I'm going in the right direction!" That's me in Skyrim all the time.

Mr Forz

I'm helping. Mostly.
The Midden. All the time.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
locations are ALWAYS annoying to find on this game, mainly cause of all the stupid mountains.. every damn quest you take on seems to lead right into a huge unpassable hill, try to go around it and you'll just find yourself going backwords, this is the reason i unlock the entire map via console commands on EVERY character i create, cause otherwise there would be no possible way to get anywhere, i honestly wonder sometimes how in the hell they expected you to reach certain destinations cause after all these years of playing i STILL can't reach half the quest points on the game without abusing fast travel.

locations are ALWAYS annoying to find on this game, mainly cause of all the stupid mountains.. every damn quest you take on seems to lead right into a huge unpassable hill, try to go around it and you'll just find yourself going backwords, this is the reason i unlock the entire map via console commands on EVERY character i create, cause otherwise there would be no possible way to get anywhere, i honestly wonder sometimes how in the hell they expected you to reach certain destinations cause after all these years of playing i STILL can't reach half the quest points on the game without abusing fast travel.

As far as I know there is a path to every location: finding it is another matter.

seeker23

Looking for the Snitch in Skyrim...
I get lost all over skyrim :D. This is mostly because I don't activate my quests in the journal.
It's kinda cool when you wander about without knowing which way is what.

Oh and of course in the Midden. Each and every wall in it looks the same to me.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation

As far as I know there is a path to every location: finding it is another matter.
i'd love to see how you're actually supposed to reach certain areas cause there are some which i've wandered around for hours and HOURS and all roads and paths lead to the same thing, a mountain..

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
i'd love to see how you're actually supposed to reach certain areas cause there are some which i've wandered around for hours and HOURS and all roads and paths lead to the same thing, a mountain..

Locations like..? Can you name a couple?
omg where do i even begin... lets see, high hrathgar comes to mind, i've never once found that place without fast traveling there.. you'll have to excuse me, i'm really bad with remembering the names of places on this game, i either can't remember them at all or i can't pronounce the word.
whats the name of that one area you gotta go on the very first dawnguard quest? yea that place is a total bitch to find too, i usually end up abusing fast travel to get there after hours of roaming around. the problem is mountains.... mountains, mountains, MOUNTAINS! i hate'em, too many mountains, did they really need so many mountains? fuk mountains. :Dovahkiin:

JClarke1953

Blackreach I believe is the most difficult to navigate. It isn't hard to become turned around in there, not to mention the Falmer, the Falmer slaves and the Dwemer Spiders and other Bot's waiting.

The Only Cure quest is long, and is sort of easy to become lost in, as you have to go quite a distance to get to its end.

The Ratway can be a bit confusing, but there's more than one way out of it, so that helps a bit.

The Dwemer ruins in Markarth as well as Nchardak can be a bit of a hassle as well I think.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Oh please, I still get lost all the time, even in my own houses! Especially the big one in Solitude.

The other day, I actually got lost in Castle Dour. Kept going in circles. Funny - I can get lost outdoors all the time, in the city, in my house, but I never get lost in any of the tombs, dungeons, caves or dwemer ruins? Weird.

omg where do i even begin... lets see, high hrathgar comes to mind, i've never once found that place without fast traveling there.. you'll have to excuse me, i'm really bad with remembering the names of places on this game, i either can't remember them at all or i can't pronounce the word.
whats the name of that one area you gotta go on the very first dawnguard quest? yea that place is a total bitch to find too, i usually end up abusing fast travel to get there after hours of roaming around. the problem is mountains.... mountains, mountains, MOUNTAINS! i hate'em, too many mountains, did they really need so many mountains? fuk mountains. :Dovahkiin:
But you can't fast travel until you have already been there. (SPOILER) High Hrothgar is simple (though watch for the troll): the path starts at Iverstead and is well marked with cairns.

Dawn

Places like the Rataways can be confusing.

I've never really liked interior maps that wind up and down and branch out across multiple levels like giant caves or tunnels. I just end up lost.

I also agree the maps and directions in the game suck. If you are on the PC, add the map mod that actually shows the major roads and paths - it helps.

Not sure how you find some things in the game without the quest / map markers enabled as the instructions will be something like "Find X" with no details on where in the world X resides.

I miss the days of the journal actually giving you enough details that you could go off and find things without having to have a big mark on the map.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Places like the Rataways can be confusing.

I've never really liked interior maps that wind up and down and branch out across multipl levels like giant caves or tunnels.

I also agree the maps and directions in the game suck. If you are on the PC, add the map mod that actually shows the major roads and paths - it helps.

Not sure how you find some things in the game without the quest / map markers enabled as the instructions will be something like "Find X" with no details on where in the world X resides.

I miss the days of the journal actually giving you enough details that you could go off and find things without having to have a big mark on the map.
Sounds like one of the Treasure maps. X marks the spot, but the spot doesn't have an X on it or appear to be anywhere in Skyrim. Fah!

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Dawnguard DLC -- Forgotten Vale ..... I'd just like to forget it :rolleyes:

Forgotten Vale is easier than it looks really. I used to get hung up on Glacial Crevice alot because I though there was only one way out. Turns out not to be true apparently. Also the realization that the Wayshrines are optional helped a lot too. First few times I went there I mistakenly thought they were necessary to access areas.

Ever since I stopped fast-traveling (about 6 builds ago), I rarely get lost anymore. One thing that helped me a lot was the realization that locked doors are optional in almost all areas. This helped me differentiate between THEE path and optional loot areas.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
But you can't fast travel until you have already been there. (SPOILER) High Hrothgar is simple (though watch for the troll): the path starts at Iverstead and is well marked with cairns.
you can if you use console commands to unlock the map, which is what i do when i create a character cause i hate roaming around for hours finding nothing but hills trying to reach my destination.. that plops makes for a very frustrating and boring game.
i can reach high hrathgar if and when i ever find the path but its finding that path which makes this area so difficult to locate..

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Another small thing that might help a lot of people with getting lost outside. Scan the horizon in the direction you are heading often. A lot of times it's a lot easier to see the path up a mountain from a distance.

As far as the map goes, I like it just the way it is. I'd get bored to death if every road was mapped. If I want to be shown exactly how to get somewhere, I'll play Fable 2. :)

Dimhollow Crypt and Highpoint Tower have been known to give me fits.