• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Neriad13

Premium Member
I had dug a pretty deep hole for myself recently - I'd been using the "Crime Pays" mod, which raises the bounty for crimes committed by the player, to make the game more interesting. Being caught pickpocketing is worth 500 septims, assault is 1000, murder is 15k and being caught transforming into a werewolf is 30k. Guess which massive fine I got in Markarth - all because some lone, idiot hunter had to stumble upon me a second after I'd turned back into an elf. I figured that I'd just stay out of Markarth for a while. But eventually, both the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood were sending me there.

I decided to walk right up to the gate and get arrested. It was the only thing I could do. I wouldn't fight back and would not resist. I would take my horrible fate in Cidha Mine with the grace that my Dunmer ancestors have borne their own numerous struggles with. Calmly, I walked up to the guard, his weapon threateningly drawn and asked to be taken to jail.

The screen went dark. The game crashed. I tried again, with the same result. It happened half a dozen times or more. I got rid of the mod, but it didn't erase my massive bounty, which I had no hope of paying unless I wanted to grind for a dozen levels. I tried different tactics - waiting a while before entering Markarth, doing different things before having another go at it, hitting the gate at a different angle. The same thing happened every time. It wasn't a glitch that was going to fix itself. I thought that I would have to start over again if I wanted to complete the questlines I'd been working on for days.

I decided to have one last go at it. Weary, frustrated, I told the guard to shove his mace where the sun doesn't shine and sprinted in through the gate. The entire city went wild, calling for my blood, raining arrows and magic on me, every guard and citizen relentlessly hunting me down. I eventually found a good hiding space under a bridge and huddled there, shivering in the icy water before the chaos above me died down.

Carefully, I crept up and snuck down the winding streets of the old Dwemer city. I had almost made it to Understone Keep before another guard caught me, presenting his arrest dialogue. Fearing the worst and crossing my fingers, I tried turning myself in yet again.

I almost wept for joy at the sight of a loading screen. I probably would have cheered or pumped my fists or done a little dance, if I hadn't been playing on my laptop in a library. Words cannot express how glad I was to have finally gone to jail. I was flooded with relief and a strange sense of accomplishment.

Who knew that it was even possible to outrun a glitch?

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
I had never even heard of this glitch preventing people from going to jail

Kir the Silent

Until Your Flesh Is Consumed
I never go to jail, but i do plan to break out if I ever do and cut a bloody swath to freedom!

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Nice! I wouldn't mind a real prison mod where you had to work and work and work. More than simply going to sleep to pass the jail sentence. Cidhna Mine was okay but more could have been done. :)

I always want to break out of jail but for some reason i never do.
Anyways that glitch that you had is very odd and i have never heard of somebody having that before... Glad you got it fixed though!

Neriad13

Premium Member
I always want to break out of jail but for some reason i never do.
Anyways that glitch that you had is very odd and i have never heard of somebody having that before... Glad you got it fixed though!

By whatever means necessary! =D

I don't go to jail very often myself, but whenever I do, I can never quite manage to break out. I'm just that bad with a lockpick. I normally break at least 2-3 picks on Novice locks and have over a hundred of them on me at any given time, which I'll quickly blow through, depending on the situation.

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
Nice! I wouldn't mind a real prison mod where you had to work and work and work. More than simply going to sleep to pass the jail sentence. Cidhna Mine was okay but more could have been done. :)

I'm wondering if that could partly be attributable to the war - guards are short-staffed/overworked as it is; it's currently less of a waste of resources to simply lock up prisoners rather than sending a number of guards sufficient to oversee a chain gang.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts