I need some disambiguation in regards to smithing

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I need some disambiguation in regards to smithing.
I posted this here but got no response: The Ultimate Enchanting Guide | Page 3 | Skyrim Forums

My smithing and enchantment level is 100, my character level is at 55; I disenchanted some boots with 60% frost resistance but I can not enchant any boots to 60% no matter if I use a grand or black soul gem, So, to get max enchantment must be related to my character level, right?

In the thread I posted a link to, Reiji, seemed to imply I can disenchant boots with 20% frost resistance and create a pair with 40% or 60%? I know the bigger the soul gem the more powerful and expensive the item will be but the enchanted item's power must be attributed to a combination of things like:
1) The size of the gem.
2) My character's enchantment level.
3) My character level.
4) The amount of enchantment/magicka the item I disenchanted originally had.
5) What I am enchanting (leather shoes vs daedric boots or an iron dagger vs a daedric sword)
6) The amount of mackica perks I have chosen (I have all three balanced..Magicka, Health and Stamina)

How many of the factors listed in the above is a factor in the enchantment level of what I enchant?
I really need clarity with #4. #1 and #2 I understand. Not sure about #3 #4 #5 and #6

I disenchanted Gloves of The Pugilist and have had a heck of a time getting the amount of punching power that the original gloves had. Same with soul snare enchantments. I can't enchant items that steals a soul if it dies within 15 seconds like what I disenchanted....even with black or grand souls.

What must I improve to get max enchantment?

XbSuper

The item that you disenchant, has no effect on the outcome of the new item you enchant with its effect. The only varying factors are:

The soul gem, and soul inside
Your enchanting skill
Enchanting potions level of boost

The higher all of these are, the better your enchantment will be. I believe(correct me if I'm wrong) that it is possible to enchant an item with the maximum 80% resistance to a specific magic type. However this takes a lot of effort to achieve. I think the highest I've ever enchanted myself was 56%. Hope this helps, let me know if you need any clarification.

Kuurus

1) The size of the gem.
2) My character's enchantment level.
3) My character level.
4) The amount of enchantment/magicka the item I disenchanted originally had.
5) What I am enchanting (leather shoes vs daedric boots or an iron dagger vs a daedric sword)
6) The amount of mackica perks I have chosen (I have all three balanced..Magicka, Health and Stamina)

How many of the factors listed in the above is a factor in the enchantment level of what I enchant?
I really need clarity with #4. #1 and #2 I understand. Not sure about #3 #4 #5 and #6

3,4,5 and 6 have absolutely nothing to do with the resulting enchantment you place on an item. On #1, a minor clarification - it's the size of the soul that matters, not the gem. A petty soul stored in a grand soul gem is the same as a petty soul in a petty soul gem.

The only other things that affect the enchantment are perks and enchanting potions. Obviously 5/5 in the first perk "enchanter" makes the most difference at +100%. Other perks are specific to enchantments - ie fire enchanter will add 25% to any fire based enchantment, be it damage or resistance.

The maximum you can achieve without exploits is 3.65x base magnitude of the enchantments. On elemental resistances, base magnitude is 15%. Therefore to your original point, no, you cannot make something with +60% resists without exploits. The max is about 55%.

This page can tell you pretty much everything you want to know about how it works:

Skyrim:Enchanting Effects - UESPWiki

Specifically, scroll down to the section about Effect charges and strength to find the math behind your results.

XbSuper

^ take this, and what I said together, as we are both correct, but touched on different points. I forgot to mention perks in my earlier post.

redrkt

Premium Member
Would you get a better enchantment from a black soul gem compared to a regular grand soul gem?

Only if it had a black soul in it, other wise they seem to take whatever comes their way.

Kuurus

Would you get a better enchantment from a black soul gem compared to a regular grand soul gem?
No. The gem you are using doesn't matter. Only the "size" of the soul it contains matters. Who or what that soul came from doesn't matter either - animal, human, who cares. A grand soul from a mammoth is the same as a grand soul from a bandit when it comes to using it.

Adam Warlock

I likewise can`t get a 60% resist for magic element damage on armor pieces(currently at 46% for the 3 in my case) , so I make up for it by adding the 25% Resist Magic enchant I got from the Shield of Solitude. Because Resist Magic stacks with the other resists (if my math is correct) , this provides me a base 59.5 % Resist across the board with a minimum of 4 enchant slots. [46% + (25%x54%=13.5%)]. An additional Resist Magic added somewhere will boost all resists to 73%. If you have some good Fortify Enchanting potions , you can get very close to maximum magic protection with 4 enchants and probably over the cap with 5.

Kuurus

I likewise can`t get a 60% resist for magic element damage on armor pieces(currently at 46% for the 3) , so I make up for it by adding the 25% Resist Magic enchant I got from the Shield of Solitude.
Resist magic and resist elemental types are different. They don't add together, but each will reduce damage separately. The game applies your resist magic first, then applies the appropriate elemental resistance (fire/frost/shock) after that.

If you have 25% resist magic and 46% resistance to fire for example, you will resist 59.5% of a fire spell or dragon's breath.

It's more effective to focus on resist magic first since it applies to all 3 types of damage, and then add elemental resistances on top of that. Right now you are using 4 enhancement slots to prevent 59.5% of damage, but if you used resist magic instead, you could be preventing 75% with only 3 slots used.

Adam Warlock

Resist magic and resist elemental types are different. They don't add together, but each will reduce damage separately. The game applies your resist magic first, then applies the appropriate elemental resistance (fire/frost/shock) after that.

If you have 25% resist magic and 46% resistance to fire for example, you will resist 59.5% of a fire spell or dragon's breath.

It's more effective to focus on resist magic first since it applies to all 3 types of damage, and then add elemental resistances on top of that. Right now you are using 4 enhancement slots to prevent 59.5% of damage, but if you used resist magic instead, you could be preventing 75% with only 3 slots used.
Thanks , I wasn`t aware I was stacking in reverse ! Time for a new kit ! Now where did I put those Dragonscales , I wonder ?
However , I do notice that if you want 3 Resist Magics to be active you must be holding a shield which is something I only do occasionally with my preference for dual-cast Incinerate spells and the dual-sword decap animations. I also have the Spellbreaker shield if need be. I`ll see if I can find a comfortable compromise with this new information in hand.

Kuurus

Thanks , I wasn`t aware I was stacking in reverse ! Time for a new kit ! Now where did I put those Dragonscales , I wonder ?
Yeah, the maximum total protection is actually 97.75% resistance if you have both resist magic and your elemental resistances at 85%. I have 85/80 which is 97% on my Redguard. Mages, which used to be his bane at earlier levels without the resistance, now pose no more of a threat than a mudcrab.

To the OP - sorry for derailing your thread. Hopefully you have the answers you were looking for!

Once you have enchanted an object, can you improve it by a second round of the same enchantment if you become better, or find a better soul?

XbSuper

Once you have enchanted an object, can you improve it by a second round of the same enchantment if you become better, or find a better soul?

No, once an item has been enchanted, it can no longer be improved. You will have to find a new item to enchant with your improved skill/soul gem.

P.S. props to Kuurus for being so detailed in his responses.

RedVideo

His Excellency
I have noticed that the value or type of item you are enchanting can affect the outcome. You get very different results between enchanting a hat or a helmet, or gloves vs gauntlets.

I tried to enchant regular cloths for my blacksmithing and alchemy costumes, but it turns out armor always holds a higher enchantment than clothes, all other things being equal.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
The maximum you can achieve without exploits is 3.65x base magnitude of the enchantments. On elemental resistances, base magnitude is 15%. Therefore to your original point, no, you cannot make something with +60% resists without exploits. The max is about 55%.
The displayed maximum elemental damage resistance is 54%.

It's one of the oddities of the enchanting system in Skyrim that you can find generic magic apparel that can provide significantly higher elemental damage resistance than you can craft with a full alchemy and enchantment build (and the maximum for generic magic apparel as loot is actually 70% not 60%, although I honestly don't recall if I've ever seen Firewalker/Warmth/Grounding enchanted gear).

Dagmar

I likewise can`t get a 60% resist for magic element damage on armor pieces(currently at 46% for the 3 in my case) , so I make up for it by adding the 25% Resist Magic enchant I got from the Shield of Solitude. Because Resist Magic stacks with the other resists (if my math is correct) , this provides me a base 59.5 % Resist across the board with a minimum of 4 enchant slots. [46% + (25%x54%=13.5%)]. An additional Resist Magic added somewhere will boost all resists to 73%. If you have some good Fortify Enchanting potions , you can get very close to maximum magic protection with 4 enchants and probably over the cap with 5.
A more elegant solution is to stack the Resist Magic enchantment from the Shield of Solitude with the generic Resist Magic enchantment. With the proper build and a 32% Fortify Enchanting potion the resists are 29% and 23% respectively. Combined with the Agent of Mara ability you could cap magic resistance with just 3 enchantment slots.

Dagmar

You get very different results between enchanting a hat or a helmet, or gloves vs gauntlets.
No you don't.
I tried to enchant regular cloths for my blacksmithing and alchemy costumes, but it turns out armor always holds a higher enchantment than clothes, all other things being equal.
No it doesn't. My Fortify Smithing chest piece is a Blacksmiths Apron and it has the highest possible enchantment without using exploits at 29%. Ditto for the gloves and which have 29% Fortify Smithing and Fortify Alchemy enchantments, and for my 29% Fortify Alchemy circlet.

Adam Warlock

A more elegant solution is to stack the Resist Magic enchantment from the Shield of Solitude with the generic Resist Magic enchantment. With the proper build and a 32% Fortify Enchanting potion the resists are 29% and 23% respectively. Combined with the Agent of Mara ability you could cap magic resistance with just 3 enchantment slots.
Thank you Dagmar ! I already have both Resist Magic Enchants and the Agent of Mara blessing(which I had forgotten about ,lol). In an effort to eliminate the need for a shield ,what about this ? Necklace with Resist Magic(Solitude)/Resist Fire , ring with Resist Magic(Solitude)/Resist Frost , Boots with Resist Shock , and the Agent of Mara blessing ?

koldfront kraig

No you don't.

No it doesn't. My Fortify Smithing chest piece is a Blacksmiths Apron and it has the highest possible enchantment without using exploits at 29%. Ditto for the gloves and which have 29% Fortify Smithing and Fortify Alchemy enchantments, and for my 29% Fortify Alchemy circlet.

So 29% is max in both smithing and alchemy?