I need some advice (possible spoiler)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

DWFII

OK! Enough is enough! I am getting desperate. I need some help, or some advice or some counseling...

I am new to the game. But on my way to Broken Helm Hollow, I stumbled upon Forelhost. I went in with Lydia and I think I was at level 9 or maybe 10. I got most of the way to where you find the key to the well but before I got there I ran across a lot of very powerful Draugrs. After getting killed almost immediately during the course of the next hour or so, I realized that both Lydia (wielding an enchanted greatsword) and I could not defeat them. So I backed out and we went on some miscellaneous quests in and around Riften. One on one I can usually handle, but we were outnumbered four or five to two.

After leveling up a time or two, I decided to go back in. At the same spot as before we again got beat...and bad. Finally, a bright idea--I told Lydia to wait for me and I lured the Draugrs one or two at a time through a passage that has trip arrows and a swinging gate. Wiped every single one of them out.

So on we went with me feeling a bit smug but not entirely confident...after collecting the key to the well.

As soon as we emerged from the water, the next room (the Crypt) turned out to have just as many powerful Draugrs as the previous encounter but no way to trap them. And seemingly no way to beat them.

I have been concentrating on one handed and two handed weapons. But I have scrolls and potions and three shouts as well as "beast". Nothing seems to help. So, once again, Lydia and I went back to Whiterun to lick our wounds and re-evalutate.

I am badly discouraged and wondering what I am doing wrong. This seems like a very tough quest.

Has anyone else been successful in Forelhost as a warrior at level 11 or 12? I could use some advice--a strategy, tips...a spoiler.

I would even welcome someone saying "don't try this quest in your first hundred hours in the game." Or "wait until you're at level 95 in all skills." Something along those lines.

Lanconite

Tonight we dine in Hell.
Forelhost is a Dragon Priest lair, so if you are only level 11, I strongly suggest turning around and coming back later. Even f you get past the crypt, there is still the Dragon Priest to worry about, and my level 50 character still has a bit of a hard time with Dragon Priests. I am pretty sure Forelhost is full of Deathlords, which are at the most level 38 or 40, and the Priest himself is level 50. I strongly recommend training more before returning, unfortunately.

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
try equipping a bow with flame ability and sneak in. Daugers are vulnerable to fire.
To elaborate on that note, all undead are more vulnerable to fire

DWFII

To elaborate on that note, all undead are more vulnerable to fire

I wasn't sure about this but I have shouted fire, thrown fire and while they burn they keep coming. At least now I know that fire is to be preferred over frost.

So how do you equip a bow with fire? I had already thought that maybe an enchantment to poison arrows or something along those lines might be effective. Then I could stand back and deal with them from a distance.

DWFII

Forelhost is a Dragon Priest lair, so if you are only level 11, I strongly suggest turning around and coming back later. Even f you get past the crypt, there is still the Dragon Priest to worry about, and my level 50 character still has a bit of a hard time with Dragon Priests. I am pretty sure Forelhost is full of Deathlords, which are at the most level 38 or 40, and the Priest himself is level 50. I strongly recommend training more before returning, unfortunately.

Wow! That is so gratifying to know. I was wondering if I was ever going to have any success in this game again. I have to admit it is depressing (how can a game...made for entertainment...be depressing?) to get so badly beat that you have to slink away.

That's kinda the point tho...it makes you go away and train your character to be better all round....then you go back and whoop theyre asses when your character has improved.

Such relief when you finally kill those damn dragon priest's.

xGooGx

That's kinda the point tho...it makes you go away and train your character to be better all round....then you go back and whoop theyre asses when your character has improved.

Such relief when you finally kill those damn dragon priest's.
SPOILERS BELOW, DWFII IM WARNING U

SPOILERS BELOW

SPOILERS BELOW

SPOILERS BELOW

SPOILERS BELOW

it reminds me when i was making my way to sovngarde, at skuldafn over the portal and stuff, it was very hard for me to kill all those enemies, such as dragons, draugr deathlords.. and a dragon priest.. i was only lvl 25-30 if im not wrong..
so i barely killed them and ran away to the portal as fast as i could xD

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
I wasn't sure about this but I have shouted fire, thrown fire and while they burn they keep coming. At least now I know that fire is to be preferred over frost.

So how do you equip a bow with fire? I had already thought that maybe an enchantment to poison arrows or something along those lines might be effective. Then I could stand back and deal with them from a distance.

unfortunately, Fire arrows were left out of the finished product of the game. your best bet is to maybe use the default flames spell that comes with your character. or maybe even find a sword that is fire enchanted..One thing is for sure, there are no arrows/bows that are fire enchanted

Rudolf

Dark Shogun
I have no problem killing the dragon priests it takes about two to four hits for me t kill them. Another element is electric that is overpowering to undead. I use a ebony (legendary) Battle Axe with 40 Electrical damage and soul trapping. Now if its Defence Just everytime you lvl up up your health and use heavy armor for fighting dragon priests. I use Ebony Mail (Boethiah artifact) Ebony Blade (Whispering Door Artifact) Dragon Plate Helm, Ebony Boots and Ebony Gauntlets (Legendary with two handed increased enchantment) To get this doesnt take long just make iron daggers for maybe an hour and you will be able to forge ebony stuff ( The dragon Plate helm i foud it)

Lanconite

Tonight we dine in Hell.
I have no problem killing the dragon priests it takes about two to four hits for me t kill them. Another element is electric that is overpowering to undead. I use a ebony (legendary) Battle Axe with 40 Electrical damage and soul trapping. Now if its Defence Just everytime you lvl up up your health and use heavy armor for fighting dragon priests. I use Ebony Mail (Boethiah artifact) Ebony Blade (Whispering Door Artifact) Dragon Plate Helm, Ebony Boots and Ebony Gauntlets (Legendary with two handed increased enchantment) To get this doesnt take long just make iron daggers for maybe an hour and you will be able to forge ebony stuff ( The dragon Plate helm i foud it)

Really. That is actually a pretty good strategy, however for characters specializing in magic or the Sneak ability (mine), all of this may not be so necessary...Even so, the level still matters quite a bit. On another character of mine, a Nord, I specialize in weaponry and smithing. I managed to get a complete Daedric armour set, but since the character was still only level 16, he was still obliterated by Morokei...

BrthrhdOfSteel

The Goose Assassin
Also a very effective way to kill high lvl. baddies when ur not so high of a lvl. is to use the slow time shout. When dual weilding 2 swards, u can usually get in about 12-14 hits b4 the shout runs out. And most bad guys will mabe get in 1 hit on u. ......But...... even with this strategy, dragon priests are very powerful, and i would suggest not trying to take one on till bout lvl. 30. But the rewards for defeating them are substatial. Most dragon priest masks are just bad ass.

Papabear

Thot I'd toss my hat in this one because I could have easily written your initial post. I first went in at lvl 11, same as you. I used various tactics and got to the same place you are. If they came out one at a time to the platform, I could easily retreat into the water and pick at them. They don't come one at a time. Three very tough ones come at you and like you, I was so discouraged that I entered from the exit to just get the shout. I hated myself for that. I wanted to go through it the warrior way, not thief. I waited until level 32 and could summon frost anneroch, but even that wasn't enough. I kept getting my follower/ mule killed.
There is a tower of hag ravens almost directly south of the dungeon. I acquired a fire staff there that is still one of my favorites at lvl 51. That and some heavy planning, lots of potions and 2 lvls later, i finished it. Three hours of intense strategy and fighting and I loved every minute of it. I had a similar problem is one ice cave with a one way entrance. I couldn't get through it and I couldn't go back,

Someone gave me the best advice I've ever had. Stick to it. Save often. Plan your attack and take your time. Use some strategy. Have fun with it. It is a game after all.

It was the best challenge I've had to date. It's the hard ones that u remember and are the most fun when you finally beat it. Lately I've been finding it too easy. So I've stopped summoning critters every time. It's no fun walking behind as they wipe the floor.
Let us know when you get through it. I want to hear the details of how you did it.

DWFII

Thot I'd toss my hat in this one because I could have easily written your initial post. I first went in at lvl 11, same as you. I used various tactics and got to the same place you are. If they came out one at a time to the platform, I could easily retreat into the water and pick at them. They don't come one at a time. Three very tough ones come at you and like you, I was so discouraged that I entered from the exit to just get the shout. I hated myself for that. I wanted to go through it the warrior way, not thief. I waited until level 32 and could summon frost anneroch, but even that wasn't enough. I kept getting my follower/ mule killed.
There is a tower of hag ravens almost directly south of the dungeon. I acquired a fire staff there that is still one of my favorites at lvl 51. That and some heavy planning, lots of potions and 2 lvls later, i finished it. Three hours of intense strategy and fighting and I loved every minute of it. I had a similar problem is one ice cave with a one way entrance. I couldn't get through it and I couldn't go back,

Someone gave me the best advice I've ever had. Stick to it. Save often. Plan your attack and take your time. Use some strategy. Have fun with it. It is a game after all.

It was the best challenge I've had to date. It's the hard ones that u remember and are the most fun when you finally beat it. Lately I've been finding it too easy. So I've stopped summoning critters every time. It's no fun walking behind as they wipe the floor.
Let us know when you get through it. I want to hear the details of how you did it.

That was a great post! And very helpful too. I appreciate you taking the time.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure what difficulty setting you're on, but do remember you can always adjust that difficulty, even mid-combat, if you just have to get through something and it's no longer fun. (I apologize if this was mentioned above. I'm at school now so I can only skim, not read, every single thing.)

BrthrhdOfSteel

The Goose Assassin
I'm not sure what difficulty setting you're on, but do remember you can always adjust that difficulty, even mid-combat, if you just have to get through something and it's no longer fun. (I apologize if this was mentioned above. I'm at school now so I can only skim, not read, every single thing.)
I was just out exploring with a new char. and decided to check out a ruin(at lvl.10). Had a hell of a time gettin to the end and the boss(draugr deathlord) and he kills me with 1 arrow. I worked too hard to turn around on this one, so i changed to easy. That punk killed me w/ 2 arrows......So came back at lvl. 56 and beat him to death with my bare hands. Ha Ha Ha!!!!! Point is, even on easy, some baddies r just too high a lvl. for starting char.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
You can still conceivably get your behind kicked by some creatures, yes. But on the easiest difficulty, you can still nail just about anything, for good or for ill.

Thomas Liu

tyl089
another way is to over stock your supply of food and healing potions. Basically use attrition to wear down your opponent and heal yourself up as he inflict damage upon you.

There's no fire or ice arrows. Those abilities comes from enchanted weapons that you can buy or enchant yourself.

When I was clearing out daugher tombs before I was high level, I just sneak shot them when they are standing or lying in their places. Usually two shots is enough. Just sneak, instead of just walking in the tombs.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts