How to get the most fun out of being a pure mage

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Jurgarik Greycloak

Techno master of Tamriel.
For the Topic:
  • Conjuration=minion tanking
  • destruction=damage
  • illusion=crowd control
  • restoration=healing if minions get killed (even though you should resummon them if that happens)
  • Enchanting=getting Illusion and Destruction down as low as possible to save mana for conjuration and restoration
  • lean levels toward Magicka at all costs

I am playing a pure mage now and am having a blast (pun unintended) with him. He is the first mage I have played and went with the most common Conjuration and Destruction magics. I think enchanting is essential for a pure mage for two reasons.

First it helps you level up. (And what kind of mage would I be if I couldn't create magical stuff?)

Secondly it boosts your mage abilities just like magical swords and bows boosts a fighters abilities. Reducing the mana costs of spells or increasing your mana or mana regeneration are the magic essentials. They keep you being able to cast your spells without constantly having to drink mana potions every time you turn around.

The first skill I made legendary has been the enchanting skill. Being able to put two enchantments on stuff is awesome. Hello boots that resist fire and allow me to carry more stuff! Hello gloves that give me faster mana regen and lower my spells costs!

Yep, loving my mage right now. I really do need to get my alteration up though. Getting tired of being shot up while having Iron Flesh.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Equip a follower with a soul-trap weapon and give them your unfilled soul gems. They will fill them fast.
Ah, but that would entail having a follower. Yuck. Noisy, complaining, in the way, non-magic resistant followers. I'll stick with Antronachs, undead and Dremora and, unfortunately, none of them can carry anything. :)

Dmarie

Equip a follower with a soul-trap weapon and give them your unfilled soul gems. They will fill them fast.
Ah, but that would entail having a follower. Yuck. Noisy, complaining, in the way, non-magic resistant followers. I'll stick with Antronachs, undead and Dremora and, unfortunately, none of them can carry anything. :)

You can always equip them with Muffle boots! and they can carry a lot for you.

Daelon DuLac

You can always equip them with Muffle boots! and they can carry a lot for you.
Ah, but where am I going to get a muzzle? "Is that a cave?" (well d'uh), "I have a bad feeling about this..." (well d'uh, you can see there's a dozen falmer in front of us), "I am sworn to carry your burdens..." (Dern straight Lyd's. Now shut up and take it!). :) At least antronachs don't say anything, the undead just moan and Dremora's act all threatening. :)

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
Ah, but where am I going to get a muzzle? "Is that a cave?" (well d'uh), "I have a bad feeling about this..." (well d'uh, you can see there's a dozen falmer in front of us), "I am sworn to carry your burdens..." (Dern straight Lyd's. Now shut up and take it!). :) At least antronachs don't say anything, the undead just moan and Dremora's act all threatening. :)

I prefer the "Wait Here" command if I have a follower, which I do not prefer to bring along.

Joker

I think I have found the best way to get the most out of a pure mage........slay them and loot their dead body! :D:D:D:D:D

Daelon DuLac

I prefer the "Wait Here" command if I have a follower, which I do not prefer to bring along.
I do that all the time with my dogs. The barking gets on my nerves. I always feel bad for my human/mer/beast race followers when I do that though. I always seem to forget them and can imagine them bored to tears waiting for me to return. I hope they brought a book. :)

Daelon DuLac

I think I have found the best way to get the most out of a pure mage........slay them and loot their dead body! :D:D:D:D:D
A man after my own heart! Don't forget to stuff all the stuff you don't want back in their dead bodies. Make the violation complete!

Joker

If I get a follower, I usually leave them at home......then I don't lose them, and they aren't bored.... :D:D:D

Dynnge

I'm looking for some tips on how to get the most fun out of my pure mage character. For instance, should I join the Dawnguard or the Volkihar Clan? Which school(s) of magic do you think I should focus on? What's the best gear? The best Magica - Health - Stamina distribution?

If you also have a link to any good guides out there on how to be a pure mage I would appreciate it! :)

I use a necromancer with frost, shock, fear, fury, some restoration (necromage coupled with vampire is epic), and alteration. Necromancy has its pros and cons. Only bad thing ive noticed is the lack of intelligence of summoned dead.

Daelon DuLac

I'm looking for some tips on how to get the most fun out of my pure mage character. For instance, should I join the Dawnguard or the Volkihar Clan? Which school(s) of magic do you think I should focus on? What's the best gear? The best Magica - Health - Stamina distribution?

If you also have a link to any good guides out there on how to be a pure mage I would appreciate it! :)

I use a necromancer with frost, shock, fear, fury, some restoration (necromage coupled with vampire is epic), and alteration. Necromancy has its pros and cons. Only bad thing ive noticed is the lack of intelligence of summoned dead.
And they take SOOOOOOO! long to stand up.

Dynnge

At first that was the biggest issue, but the thing that pisses me off is the complete disregard for a weapon. I stopped bringing melee enemies back and just committed to spellcasters/animals/creatures.

Daelon DuLac

At first that was the biggest issue, but the thing that pisses me off is the complete disregard for a weapon. I stopped bringing melee enemies back and just committed to spellcasters/animals/creatures.
I've discovered that, as long as you leave them with their original weapon they usually use it, although, occassionally I've had one of them pick up a weapon. I just raise everybody I kill and then immediately kill them via spell. It raises my conjuration and my destrution very quickly. I don't really like the undead in general. I'll stick with antronachs or dremora, although a raised vampire is a hoot. Why does a vampire thank you for releasing it? They're already undead.

On a side note, my other 1/2 thinks I'm a creep for doing that. The whole kill 'em just to raise 'em and kill 'em again thing is apparently abhorrent to some. :)

Jurgarik Greycloak

Techno master of Tamriel.

Or you could get the soul cairn summons and use those. They come with weapons on them.

Daelon DuLac

Or you could get the soul cairn summons and use those. They come with weapons on them.
You're right. I don't mind the bone-men, wraith-men or the other one (sorry, forgot the name). The Seekers aren't too bad either.

Dynnge

I just raise everybody I kill and then immediately kill them via spell. It raises my conjuration and my destrution very quickly.

On a side note, my other 1/2 thinks I'm a creep for doing that. The whole kill 'em just to raise 'em and kill 'em again thing is apparently abhorrent to some. :)

This was my tactic at the beginning. I went so far as to create a character who was born with a curse that made him raise anything he killed only to fight it again. The undead aren't all that bad honestly. Coming from someone who used to use atronachs exclusively, the undead is an interesting change of pace. Plus vampire necromancer is just beyond badass.

Joker

Ok, I am going to try this again. Illusion, Conjuration, Destruction, Alteration & Enchanting. I will conjure weapons to fill soul gems, but I won't perk the skills. No followers, so I am truly going rogue! ;)

Daelon DuLac

Ok, I am going to try this again. Illusion, Conjuration, Destruction, Alteration & Enchanting. I will conjure weapons to fill soul gems, but I won't perk the skills. No followers, so I am truly going rogue! ;)
Good luck. Make sure your character can run at low level though. :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts