How Things Have Changed

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
It's been 30 years this year since I first started Gaming. In those days I used to write game programs more than I played them.

When the PC game Delta Force was released in Sept 1998 I got heavily involved in making Maps and Mods for that game and the other games of that series that followed right through to DFX, which I made over 100 Maps for DFX alone. I also did the same for JO ( Joint Operations ) & the JO series. In all I made over 500 Maps for the Delta Force & Joint Operation Series.

About 5 years ago I switched to Xbox gaming as I was sick of having to constantly upgrade my computer to play a new game release. These days I am solely a Xbox 360 Gamer.
A lot has changed since those early days........lol

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
I've been gaming since the days of the original NES. I've watched the gaming industry, mainly with consoles, grow quickly. The history of gaming is something that truly interests me, because you can see steady change in the course of thirty years. The radical differences between even an Atari 2600 to a SNES is astounding. And yet look where we are today. Who would have thought, eh?

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Back then a lot of people including my family & the majority of my friends, used to tell me to " Grow The f***f Up " and stop wasting my time on something that won't go anywhere. It was only a game to play in your spare time. No person in their right mind will make money from games.
I knew different, I was a visionary back then and I knew that it could only get better. I laughed at them then & I still laughing at them now.

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
Well, if you think of it like that though you still have to buy a new console every few years to be able to play a new game. Also, with PCs the games have the ability to expand their technology usage beyond the limitations of the console hardware.

I see PCs as a great investment towards the future of new gaming technology because eventually games will be run on a cloud environment and you won't even need a top of the line computer to play that new game. They actually already have a service that does this I believe.

Also, you don't get that customization ability like you do with PC games. There will be no mod kit for the xbox or PS3, only for the PC. (As you can tell, i'm pretty pro-PC)

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
I make sure my teenage kids have an up to date gaming computer, also we up date our consoles every few years anyways. We have a total of 4 Xbox consoles & accessories associated them, plus we have a relatively top notch gaming computer, plus another older computer ( The one I'm using now ) & a laptop as well.

If I had more money I would be investing in 3 - 4 Alienware computers or something similar as well Tron keyboards or something the same or better. All this in addition to the Xbox consoles.
I know that computer games are a lot better because of the whole Modding aspect, been there & done that with The Delta Force & Joint Operation series as well as the PC game Pirates Of The Caribbean.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Well, if you think of it like that though you still have to buy a new console every few years to be able to play a new game. Also, with PCs the games have the ability to expand their technology usage beyond the limitations of the console hardware.

I see PCs as a great investment towards the future of new gaming technology because eventually games will be run on a cloud environment and you won't even need a top of the line computer to play that new game. They actually already have a service that does this I believe.

Also, you don't get that customization ability like you do with PC games. There will be no mod kit for the xbox or PS3, only for the PC. (As you can tell, i'm pretty pro-PC)

And I'm pro console. I don't have the energy to deal with updating my computer to make sure it can handle the games I want to play. And the PC doesn't even get all the games I like either. Games like Uncharted and Red Dead Redemption have only been made for the consoles, or one console.

Do I support PC gaming? Of course I do, it's simply just not meant for me. I get extremely giddy when it gets to be that time for a new console to be unveiled. Be it a handheld or regular system.

For me, my computer is meant for writing and artwork. My consoles clearly for the gaming. Nice balance for me.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
It amazes me also that gaming industry grew so much. But is it culturally significant? Maybe. A lot of people around me still thinks video game is for babies and I should grow out of it. At this point in my life, I can never go on without a bit of video game and internet.

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
You don't have to buy alienware computers to get top notch gaming. Besides, you could build one of their computers for half the price. You're mostly paying for the name brand, well that and customer service. I remember when ABS(Always Better Service) used to build computers. My friend ordered a laptop from them that was desktop quality, man did that thing overheat. He had tons of problems with it, but honestly I think they were user problems seeing as he doesn't seem to take care of his PC components that well. Now they only sell hardware.

Hmm, if you wanted to save some money but still have some decent customer service you could always order a barebone kit from newegg or tigerdirect and consult them on upgrading. They offer top of the line at affordable prices.

Mauli

Actual Alchemist
I was gaming before there were consoles and computers. We used these ancient artifacts we called books and dice.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
I know what you mean......lol. I remember my Grandmother teaching me to play Chess, Bridge, Blackjack, Poker & a host of other card games.

Mauli

Actual Alchemist
I really was referring to Dungeons and Dragons. I was a very popular Dungeon Master in my day :D

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Second Life?

Windress

I was gaming before there were consoles and computers. We used these ancient artifacts we called books and dice.

LoL, I love it! I cut my teeth on Vampire: The Masquerade! Sixth and Seventh Edition! D20 games taught me how to plan tactical character development and leverage skill sets, without sacrificing creative expression!

I'd have to agree that the gamer culture (be it PC, Console, or Table Top) has both grown and become more widely accepted by those who would have otherwise been skeptical five years ago. The attitude of what constitutes a gamer has changed as well. The marginalization of computer/console gaming has become a mainstream attraction, thanks to the rise in popularity of comic book movies, gaming movies, and promotional teams like the Frag Dolls. A successful, capable gamer has a level of swag now. They're like hipster rockstars.

I remember attending Quakecon while in college and just being completely amazed that there were so many like-minded people in one convention center, and that some of them honestly made a profession out of playing video games. The same goes for when I attended comic book conventions. It was like receiving validation for what I had always been taught was a useless hobby that would keep me from developing "real relationships."

Hell, Gaming is such a social experience now, I'd argue it's a better portal for diverse relationships than going to some bar and hanging around with strangers. Where else can you serve on a co op team with someone from The Netherlands?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts