• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Neriad13

Premium Member
Whenever I'm researching anything, for any piece of writing, I tend to go a little insane. If I'm writing something big, I might spend months reading pertinent books and have entire notebooks filled with bits of information I've gleaned from them.

When I'm writing about Skyrim, I usually have a tab or two open in the UESP Wiki or Elder Scrolls Wiki. Even if it's only to look at a picture of the character I'm writing about, it's something that really helps me. Before I write a scene I also like to walk around the area in which it takes place myself (something almost entirely unique to a story set in a video game world), to really get the flavor and landmarks of the locale down. It's also a good chance to work out kinks in the plot and figure out how every action fits together in this location. There was this one particularly funny time when I was wandering around the outskirts of Whiterun, pretending to be Jenassa and trying to figure out where the heck she'd hide a body.

Another thing I like to do is keep extensive tabs on every single character and map out the timeline of events that led up to the present day. My laptop's memory is cluttered with old notes from old stories that rigorously list off every single physical and sociological attribute of every single character mentioned in the story. It's grueling, fairly boring work to make things like that, but when I look back on these things, I'm amazed at how clearly I can still see the story these notes were preparing to tell. I also tend to use documents like these as a catch-all for random ideas as well. In the notes for this one fantasy world that I've been writing about on and off for ten years or so, I was pleasantly surprised to discovered three entirely different, unique ideas for how magic works in this world as well as a strangely solid basis for an original language.

And now as far as notes go, I've really gone insane. Knowing now that it's a strong possibility that I'll be spending a large chunk of the summer away from Internet access, I have taken to gathering all my favorite research material and personal notes into one easily-accessible area, a massive compendium of knowledge, my own custom handy-dandy, mostly copypasta guide, chock full of character and world info, as well as copious reference pictures. The thing is 535 Times New Roman, 12 font, Word document pages long. This is its table of contents.

Contents

I Characters

Tiber Septim/Talos/Hjalti Early-Beard……………………………………………7

Tsun………………………………………………………………………………21

Shor………………………………………………………………………………23

Akatosh…………………………………………………………………………..24

Lydia……………………………………………………………………………..30

Jenassa……………………………………………………………………………33

Marcurio………………………………………………………………………….37

Uthgerd the Unbroken……………………………………………………………40

Susanna the Wicked……………………………………………………………...41

Paarthurnax………………………………………………………………………42

Alduin……………………………………………………………………………46

Odahviing………………………………………………………………………...54

Numinex………………………………………………………………………….58

Mirmulnir………………………………………………………………………...59

Sahloknir…………………………………………………………………………60

Jurgen Windcaller………………………………………………………………..61

Arngeir…………………………………………………………………………...65

Borri……………………………………………………………………………...67

Wulfgar…………………………………………………………………………..69

Einarth……………………………………………………………………………70

Elenwen…………………………………………………………………………..72

Ondolemar………………………………………………………………………..74

Rulendil…………………………………………………………………………..76

Gissur……………………………………………………………………………78

Shavari…………………………………………………………………………...80

Malborn…………………………………………………………………………..82

Razelan…………………………………………………………………………...89

Jarl Igrod Ravencrone……………………………………………………………91

Maven Black-Briar……………………………………………………………….93

Erikur…………………………………………………………………………….95

Brelas…………………………………………………………………………….97

Etienne Rarnis……………………………………………………………………99

Delphine………………………………………………………………………...101

Esbern…………………………………………………………………………..106

Fultheim………………………………………………………………………..108

Orgnar…………………………………………………………………………..109

Gerdur…………………………………………………………………………..110

Hod……………………………………………………………………………...112

Frodnar………………………………………………………………………….113

Ralof……………………………………………………………………………115

Ulfric Stormcloak………………………………………………………………118

Galmar Stone-Fist………………………………………………………………127

Gunjar…………………………………………………………………………..129

Lilija Snow-Shod……………………………………………………….………130

Nura Snow-Shod………………………………………………………..………131

Vulwulf Snow-Shod……………………………………………………………132

Asgeir Snow-Shod…………………………………………………………..…133

Vittoria Vici……………………………………………………………………134

Saadia/ Iman…………………………………………………………………….136

Kematu………………………………………………………………………….142

J’zargo…………………………………………………………………………..145

Brelyna Maryon………………………………………………………………157

Mirabelle Ervine………………………………………………………………165

Tolfdir…………………………………………………………………………166

Savos Aren……………………………………………………………………..168

Hafnar Ice-Fist………………………………………………………………….171

Atmah…………………………………………………………………………172

Faralda…………………………………………………………………………173.

Nirya……………………………………………………………………………175

Urag gro-Shub…………………………………………………………………176

Arniel Gane……………………………………………………………………177

Enthir……………………………………………………………………………180

Colette Marence………………………………………………………………182

Drevis Neloren…………………………………………………………………183

Sergius Turrianus………………………………………………………………184

Phinius Gestor…………………………………………………………………186

Onmund…………………………………………………………………………187

Ancano…………………………………………………………………………189

Estormo……………………………………………………………………….191

Augur of Dunlain………………………………………………………………192

Nerien…………………………………………………………………………193

Quaramir………………………………………………………………………194

Wuunferth the Unliving………………………………………………………199

Septimus Signus………………………………………………………………200

Paratus Decimus………………………………………………………………205

Gavros Plinius…………………………………………………………………206

Jarl Balgruuf the Greater………………………………………………………..208

Irileth……………………………………………………………………………211

Farengar Secret-Fire…………………………………………………………….213

Frothar…………………………………………………………………………..215

Nelkir…………………………………………………………………………...216

Dagny…………………………………………………………………………..218

Legate Rikke……………………………………………………………………219

General Tullius…………………………………………………………………221

Emperor Titus Mede II…………………………………………………………223

Gormlaith Golden-Hilt…………………………………………………………225

Felldir the Old…………………………………………………………………226

Hakon One-Eye…………………………………………………………………228

Olaf One-Eye…………………………………………………………………...229

Ysgramor………………………………………………………………………..235

Julienne Lyvieve………………………………………………………………..247

Clinton Lyvieve………………………………………………………………248

Azzada Lyvieve………………………………………………………………249

Michel Lyvieve…………………………………………………………………250

Lucky…………………………………………………………………………251

Khajiit Caravans………………………………………………………………251.

Calixto Corrium………………………………………………………………269

Aftland Expedition……………………………………………………………272

Innkeepers…………………………………………………………………….282

Thorald Gray-Mane…………………………………………………………….296

Morokei…………………………………………………………………………297

II Dragons and Dragon Language

Dragon Lore…………………………………………………………………….300

Dragon Language……………………………………………………………….305

Dragon Alphabet……………………………………………………………….318

Shouts…………………………………………………………………………..323

Dragonborn……………………………………………………………………..331

Dragon War…………………………………………………………………….334

Dragon Priests…………………………………………………………………..337

Epilogue……………………………………………………………………......342

III Factions

Blades…………………………………………………………………………..345

Second Aldmeri Dominion…………………………………………………….355

College of Winterhold………………………………………………………….382

Stormcloaks…………………………………………………………………….388

Legion………………………………………………………………………….395

IV Aedra, Daedra, Mundus, Oblivion, Aetherius

Pantheons of Tamriel…………………………………………………………...399

Mundus…………………………………………………………………………411

Oblivion………………………………………………………………………..413

Aetherius………………………………………………………………………..424

Sovngarde………………………………………………………………………425

V Misc People

Wulfharth………………………………………………………………………431

Alessia………………………………………………………………………….437

Pelinal Whitestrake…………………………………………………………….440

VI Armor, Weapons and Clothing Reference………………………………….447

VII Timelines and Calendars

Calendar………………………………………………………………………...492

World Timeline…………………………………………………………………497

Tanniel Timeline………………………………………………………………..535

Is it insanity in written form? Perhaps, but I'm strangely proud of it. And now I can rest so much easier knowing that I'll never be without the tools of my favorite work.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Very interesting! I almost never research for something I write. I just... write! But with this new fanfic Idea for Skyrim I'm actually doing a bit of research. Nothing like you though, but I'm rather terrible at organization, etc when it goes to planning a story. I'm getting a little better but not much. :) Still, was nice reading what you wrote!

Aeri Shadow

Dainty Elven Heir
I do a lot of research when I'm writing Skyrim fanfiction... or just writing in general. 'Write what you know' really applies to me. If I can't see/have any idea of what I'm writing, like setting or characters, then I can't write about them. :)

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
Pretty hefty compendium, but yeah, you'd want to have something like that if you're going to be away from the Internet for a while writing Skyrim fic.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I'd say I do a moderate amount of research. It all depends on what I'm writing, really. One of my Nanowrimo novels required no research whatsoever (well, okay, I did look up varities of Trojan condoms for one hilarious scene in a drugstore). Last year's, on the other hand, had me researching different branches of the FBI, and automatic firearms, and neighborhoods of Manhattan, and abandoned subway stations, and capillary viruses, and DNA mutation, and autopsies, and probably a lot more I'm forgetting.

For my Skyrim fanfic, I've been researching on the fly: looking up characters on UESP, watching YouTube videos for in-game dialogue, jumping into the game myself to check what Annika can see when she's facing northeast from the Whiterun stables, for instance. I've also got a lot of pictures of Sophia Myles and Vladimir Kulich in the fanfic's Scrivener file, as well as pictures of certain places in Skyrim, and maps, and the Tamrielic calendar, and a timeline of major events (e.g. when the Great War began, when Ulfric was tortured by the Thalmor, when Ralof was born) for quick reference. I keep everything I know I'm going to need to refer to often, and let Google take care of the rest.

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
For my Skyrim fanfic, I've been researching on the fly: looking up characters on UESP, watching YouTube videos for in-game dialogue, jumping into the game myself to check what Annika can see when she's facing northeast from the Whiterun stables, for instance. I've also got a lot of pictures of Sophia Myles and Vladimir Kulich in the fanfic's Scrivener file, as well as pictures of certain places in Skyrim, and maps, and the Tamrielic calendar, and a timeline of major events (e.g. when the Great War began, when Ulfric was tortured by the Thalmor, when Ralof was born) for quick reference. I keep everything I know I'm going to need to refer to often, and let Google take care of the rest.

I definitely keep a timeline, either on paper (well, computer file) or in my head. I have right now a large day-by-day timeline of everywhere Sjadbek will (have) be(en) from the Helgen attack through when Alduin is defeated, currently comprising about 15-16 months of time. I'll probably make another timeline when I flesh out Act II further.

Docta Corvina

Yeah, the UESP Wiki has really been my friend throughout the process. I too will use it to crosscheck and double-check things as I go. One thing in particular has been the history and the circumstances of the Great War. Those details are constantly in the back of my mind as I write, especially as I've been venturing into the CW side of my story. But that's the extent of the lore research I have been doing at least up until now.

I also will jump into the game to get views on landscapes, structures and other useful details on characters' perspectives. It's great for split-second inspiration as well. I can be walking around with merely the intention to eyeball a shrine or something, but then the wind will blow, a storm will roll in and I'll have a whole new scene/event idea. Having Oblivion available for exploration is also proving very useful, for Pen's personal reflections and exposition. It's fun to run around Cheydinhal (and Cyrodiil at large) and I can really see all that she's been missing in Skyrim. I can appreciate her homesickness.

So yeah, all in all, I'm not at all hardcore with my research - rather I seek what I need for accuracy and context, as necessary. :)

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
You're right, Neriad. You do go insane. :D But that's the price of accuracy, right? Plus, with stuff like this, there can never be enough information. So yeah, insane? Yes. A good kind of insane? Absolutely. :)

Start Dale

I got 99 problems but a Deadra ain't one.
I'm with Dunklunk on this you are pretty nuts, but it is that good, you're insane but you've made it work for you!

I've just entered the genre of fanfic writing with my first story. In a way I haven't done anywhere near enough research for the story i'm going to write. I just started writing an interesting scene and it has spiralled into a much deeper event. So now i am having to do research on characters, races, abilities and delving into the game to get a real feel for how the fight mechanics work. Thankfully the character i'm writing was the same character i played through the Dark Brotherhood story line. In an upcoming chapter i am going to relate one of my personal gaming experiences from the DB story quest into my fanfic story.

As me and my friend have been playing Skyrim in tandem on our PS3's (mainly to get all the trophies) we both have the Skyrim official game guide i have been using that tome has a go to flip book for most of my research up to now. That and stuff experienced in game. However i feel with the next stage of the DB story i will need to start some deeper research using the wiki site.

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
When it's something about a game, usually I play it for a good amount of hours (100-200) then if I want to write a story (it starts actually as a dream) then I set the main characters background, write influences, surroundings, build made up settings, set out each characters 'trail' and their influence, write out family trees even sometimes. Sometimes even I go overboard with research. Thing is with Elder Scrolls, there is a TON of information. Especially on lore, culture, history, and even geography of the series. So you actually aren't alone. Sometimes research helps with writing, least what I find, it makes it come alive. But just don't go overboard. While researching, copy notes and ideas down for your story so you don't lose them. And make it detailed so you are like 'Wha?!' later on. I find if everything gets jumbled in my head even notes can't save me lol. Course that is just me so meh. I'm doing research myself. Not to bad, I think.

Saozig

Hippy
I suppose if I was younger and had more free time I'd be consumed do something lie you did, Neriad. When I was a kid, we didn't have fanfiction like we do today because we didn't have the internet (yes, I'm that old). There was fanfiction--like Whovians and D&D geeks and other fandoms that existed back then--but it was a very different kind of network.

So a lot of us kids, who were in to sci fi and fantasy but too young to go to conventions and meetings they had then, would basically do what I did: I would write stories for an alternative universe I had created, and I had another entire 2" three-ring binder of backstory I had come up for this universe, including character profiles, languages, maps, timelines, genealogy and so on. It was insane---and I had so much fun. I had totally created it.

I've only just started to try to write fanfiction for Skyrim. I've written some fanfic but all for sci fi shows, never for a epic VG series like the TES. Since I don't realy know the earlier TES games very well, I've been doing a lot of research. It helps come up with ideas for the characters as will as the plot. But yes the wikis online are indispensable, and I have a separate docs for both stories that are my notes, that contain info I've either researched or the backstory stuff I've come up with the fill out gaps in the lore or details about character histories and personalities.

E14H

キー
Very far, I love research. I could never write a story without doing copious amounts of it. From proper character histories, to the correct chronological timeline of events in a/the world I'm writing about. I don't document as much research as you seem to Neriad13, but I do still have quite a lot of files lying around with 10-50 pages worth of information and planning (which most of the time I never use). So yes, research, I wouldn't be able to write without it.

KobuZero

Sneaky Archer
Well I usually write crossovers, and so I spend almost more time researching than writing to ensure that my adaptation of both games or show's lore is accurate.

Brynja

I'm constantly doing research for my fics. Characters and their family, the layouts of towns/buildings.... the only thing I'm not terribly strict about is when I talk about vague landscapes in a general region. Like, you know what the landscapes look like in _____, so just keep it realistic and no one will really notice (unless they have too much time to kill lol). On occasion I can't find pictures online, so I'll go into the game and go to a town/building to make sure my memory was right. UESP is a savior, though.

Myth

Hoarding All the Books in Skyrim, Tome by Tome
As a perfectionist by nature, research is critical in my opinion. I research until I'm absolutely sure if a topic I would like to incorporate into a fanfiction would be appropriate or not. I pay particular attention to the speech of characters, idioms, slang, etc. Speech that conforms to our modern language instead of the universe to which the story exists in. I have noticed such mistakes are common, and they strip otherwise good stories of their validity and believability.

-Mir-

Professional milk-drinker
I'd say my research is pretty moderate, too, but nothing like yours. :)
I usually just get the idea and make a whole script in my head and get all my thoughts typed up on my phone before I forget them, if I'm lucky. lol. After I get down my basic idea, I then go back and look stuff up to make sure it's not inconsistent or something that wouldn't work and that I'd need to change. I also think in-game "research" is very important for scenery and locations, and also for when I want to capture someone's specific dialect in type.

But I don't do near as much serious research as you, OP. That is pretty cool to have that much stuff ready to access, and is a great idea for when you don't have internet. Also, just wanted to say it's awesome that Lucky has his own page. :D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts