How does Skyrim compare to Oblivion

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Do you prefer Skyrim or Oblivion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sneable

This can be in a positive or negative way.
ie, What do you miss from oblivion? or what makes Skyrim better? what do you feel they've left out ?

One thing I miss from Oblivion is the level of interaction you can have with another character in the game, like haggling, and the old speech craft tool. Don't get me wrong they've covered alot in Skyrim, but I do miss being able to have a few really pointless convo's and building up my speech as I saw fit. It's harder to do on this one i find....

but i do love the historical link! My Fiancée moans at me cos i stop to read books! :D

What changes do you like/dislike?

I miss nothing from Oblivion. I love everything in Skyrim because it's almost exactly like Morrowind, but then again it's completely different also.

Xiomn

Everything is probably better in Skyrim in my opinion except for the guild quests and i personally liked the main quest line despite it being a very tedious task. I also liked the fact the guards were actually useful and served a purpose, i miss the "Stop right there criminal scum, nobody breaks the law on my watch!" And i personally felt the characters had tons more character or personality to them. Oh and i liked the areas/towns better as well. :)

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
Skyrim is like a bigger, better version of Oblivion in many ways. More of the same, less of the problems that plagued its predecessor. I especially like the new leveling system, which is a huge improvement over the previous one (which was counter-intuitive and almost forced the player to min-max & do ridiculous things like jump or run around like a headless chicken to level agility).

Still, Oblivion had its moments. I liked many of the quests and the verdant landscapes. That is not to say I don't appreciate Skyrim's rugged beauty, but Oblivion had its own, traditional fantasy type of charm that really sucked me in. And while Skyrim's music is grand and epic, Oblivion had an equally inspiring soundtrack. So as far as music and aesthetic appeal are concerned, both games are about equal I'd say; though of course Skyrim has an improved engine, much sharper visuals and actually runs better.

All in all I'd give Oblivion an 80/100 and Skyrim 90/100 if I had to rate them.

Sneable

Everything is probably better in Skyrim in my opinion except for the guild quests and i personally liked the main quest line despite it being a very tedious task. I also liked the fact the guards were actually useful and served a purpose, i miss the "Stop right there criminal scum, nobody breaks the law on my watch!" And i personally felt the characters had tons more character or personality to them. Oh and i liked the areas/towns better as well. :)

Ha yeah the guards don't interact to much on this one, and the towns were more pleasing to the eye, but as 'Monolith' has said, 'it has it's own rugged charm.' hard to choose... Both great games from all angles. good to know how all others see it though.

Nick G.

Shield Brother
I like the fact that in Skyrim, they made every dungeon or cave unique. As to Oblivion, I kept seeing the same kind of dungeon over and over again.

I also like that in Skyrim the armor looks more...realistic to where in Oblivion it just looked cartoon-ish.

However Oblivion served it's purpose and entertaining me for hours on end, I just like Skyrim ALOT better than Oblivion.

Fife

Nobody misses the stacking invisibility enchantments? It was like the Fallout Chinese Stealth Armor. Then again, the game got really boring after that. Teasing the AI was fun when fully stealthed. LOL.

Fife

I think the Khajit race got incredibly marginalized with the removal of Acrobatics. They were my favorite race in Oblivion. No more quick fights. No more unarmed frenzy. A majority of Skyrim is well-lit (especially the ice caverns, which are blindingly bright, further marginalizing Night Eye. What's even more sad is that if you want to invest in unarmed combat, the Skyrim interface encourages you to go into the heavy armor tree... Now you're not a stealthy, agile Khajit. You are a sitting turtle with nuclear punches. WTF? I hope the next Elder Scrolls game accentuates the grace of the Khajit.

Panthera

Don Gato
I miss white Aylied ruins in the middle of the forest! ...I still kinda want to see Aylied city from the past. I think that would be epic!

But I dislike at both games after you finish quest of certain guild, you became guild master... There is no option to be second in rank or I don't know foot-pad. Everything to depend on how you act and your skill. That would be more real. Practically you can have all magical skills low and become guild master. lol it's absurd that apprentice is more skilled in magic than guild master.

Panthera

Don Gato
I think the Khajit race got incredibly marginalized with the removal of Acrobatics. They were my favorite race in Oblivion. No more quick fights. No more unarmed frenzy. A majority of Skyrim is well-lit (especially the ice caverns, which are blindingly bright, further marginalizing Night Eye. What's even more sad is that if you want to invest in unarmed combat, the Skyrim interface encourages you to go into the heavy armor tree... Now you're not a stealthy, agile Khajit. You are a sitting turtle with nuclear punches. WTF? I hope the next Elder Scrolls game accentuates the grace of the Khajit.

I think they should make Khajiits faster and able to jump higher. I thought about that in oblivion. Any other race was able to jump the same after you master acrobatics to 100. So at the end being khajiit doesn't make any difference. -.- So I was thinking it would be great even if you would maximize your acrobatics you would still have additional +50 in that skill so as a race you would stand out than other races.

Gore gro-Gijakudob

I found quite the opposite, candlelight really helped in some of those dungeons. And Kajiit are still gracefull, but tell me honestly if one could out punch an Orc in heavy gauntlets? No, no they couldn't. Kajiit are cats, ever been punched by a cat? They can hit quickly but it really doesn't hurt very much. :)

Panthera

Don Gato
I found quite the opposite, candlelight really helped in some of those dungeons. And Kajiit are still gracefull, but tell me honestly if one could out punch an Orc in heavy gauntlets? No, no they couldn't. Kajiit are cats, ever been punched by a cat? They can hit quickly but it really doesn't hurt very much. :)
You are forgetting they have claws. :p

Yngvalld

I miss the Inn of Ill Omen and would love to know if it was still operating 200 years on. I also am not a fan of being leader of guilds/factions i also am not impressed that in said guilds/factions that the only person that really regularly leaves the lair are the companions and the character him/her self. I also miss skingrad :sadface:
buuuuttttt!!!! if Bethesda is in the custom of listening to their games fans and going on forums such as this to gain feedback, they have ALOT of options to continue with into the future!
Peace.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts