• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Black Ice

Like A Red Nose
So this is a pretty straight forward question. How do you travel in skyrim? Alone, with followers, animals, dragon riding etc?. I myself personally travel with sceolang pretty much everywhere. He's like my loyal guard dog that guards me when I sleep in random bed rolls near bandit hideouts or he fights the giant spiders for me because personally, I won't go near those things (the bigger ones of course). He also helps me hunt. I'll use the first word of unrelenting force on a deer or rabbit and just let him chase it. In short a dog in skyrim adds more immersion to traveling than a npc imo. What about you?

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
I travel alone and on foot everywhere. If there is a quest target across the map, it has to wait till I get there and that could take a while since I'm easily distracted. If I want to hang out with anybody I'll hang out at a hunters camp or mine. I'm a werewolf so I never sleep. Just hunt and ravage the land on the way to quest targets. It's a good life. :)

Black Ice

Like A Red Nose
I travel alone and on foot everywhere. If there is a quest target across the map, it has to wait till I get there and that could take a while since I'm easily distracted. If I want to hang out with anybody I'll hang out at a hunters camp or mine. I'm a werewolf so I never sleep. Just hunt and ravage the land on the way to quest targets. It's a good life. :)
You don't take a dog? I'm a werewolf as well and I love sceolangs company. Two canines traveling the land.

Black Orchid

Death Incarnate
Black Orchid rides Shadowmere just about everywhere, but the rest of my characters use a combination of fast-travel and running on foot and/or sneaking. A lot depends on whether I've already explored the area with a previous character, however.

Dawn

Early on it's all on foot. Later I might ride a horse if I have one, or take carriages between the holds. If I have a follower, they come along. Same with any pets or animals.

I tend to use fast travel only between carriage towns when trying to sell off all my looted junk or to buy up stuff for potions or such.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
You don't take a dog? I'm a werewolf as well and I love sceolangs company. Two canines traveling the land.

The barking drives me crazy...

I was hoping the huskies would be different but they bark just as much.

Chadonraz

Alone on foot, or riding a horse. I don't like to take my horse offroad, because of the dangers that lurk there. Not that roads are safe, but still.

I don't take dog (or Troll) followers because I know I'd feel terrible if (and when...) it died.

I really like my own company LOL .... Never any followers cept when I have to hold the little Vamp's hand and baby sit for awhile.:D I mix it up alot Fast travel and some times take off on foot . Never use horse .

Phantom

Uh, I didn't do it
I never seem to ever use companions. And I tend to get wherever I'm going the fastest way, usually fast travel or by taking the cart wherever. I might steal a horse for a while, but I absolutely hate walking everywhere. It gets taxing after a while to be honest.

I'm more of a get things done sort of player and less the walking around randomly sort.

Wildroses

Dog and follower on foot all the time, even when I don't want them.

Once I discovered a mod to make dogs essential I was like: Yippee! Dog follower forever and ever and ever! I get fed up with the way I keep having horses die when they jump from high places or get into fights, so I usually travel on foot.

And I always have followers. Even when I decide not to, somehow one appears. Serana once gave me her pathetic look when asking if I have any more adventures planned after we killed her Dad which made say: "Yeah, sure, you can come with me you poor lonely little thing even though I had planned to dump you." My current one ended up being saddled with Vorstag and Meeko despite my intention to make her a solitary sneaker. I'm roleplaying that one to the max. She is too kind to let a stray dog stay homeless (Why did the God's of Gaming Chance decree I have to role kindness as the primary virtue?!). When she found Meeko her kids had already adopted a Stray Dog and apparently the house isn't big enough for two dogs. She hired Vorstag for what she thought would be a brief period to do the quest in Nchuand-Zel because she was too terrified of Falmer to do it alone. Then I forgot to dismiss him when I went to finish the Forsworn Conspiracy and decided my character would fight than go tamely to prison after being framed. Once I was out of Markarth my thought process was: "Someone who murdered half the city guard to protect a criminal employer would probably not be welcomed home and my character is kind so I'm stuck with him forever, aren't I? Oh crap, he probably did it because he's fallen in love with her so she's going to have to marry him."

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
on foot and alone, i never cared for horses on this game, depending on my mood i'll sometimes go grab Serana and bring her along for awhile till i get tired of her getting in the way during battles, then i'll make her wait in whiterun and never return "imo its more polite than telling her to part ways" lol

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
Hmm. It really depends on the circumstances. If I have to go a long distance in a pretty monotone environment I usually travel by horse. But if it is only a few miles or a very interesting environment (like the swamps near Solitude) I just walk there. I know myself. I will end up dismounting my horse every few seconds because something drew my attention.

I never take followers with me (I only end up saving their butts :D ) unless I am planning to clear out some tombs or caves. In that case I might need someone to carry a few items for me.

AS88

Staff member

Agreed. If the dogs were quiet, I'd take them everywhere.

LuChao

The Martial artist
I always travel on foot EVERYWHERE more interesting encounters that way and chances of fighting which my Orc loves to do I will take a follower with me if I get bored usually its Serana cause I love her even though you cant do anything with her in terms of Marriage

Sahdira

Normally this one travels on horseback over long distances. If she knows she is going somewhere dangerous or even exploring near territory she leaves her horse at the nearest stable. She usually travels with a companion (she likes to have the company of friends) and her Phamar friend Wyntha.

jarif

On PS3 I use to fast travel a lot. When I get my gaming PC I will stop fast travel and my rule is that I can only fast travel if their is a carriage. (Damn you Gophersvids :D)

I will walk on foot but however I understand in real life even walking for more than 2 miles could be tedious for your character and me personally, I like to think of myself as a lazy person, that being said it depends on the character I am playing.

Thanks to mods like Quality map, Convenient horses and Skyrim heart beat it makes traveling A LOT interesting and not fast traveling believe or not helps the immersion.

Its not about the destination but the journey.

I have three very planned out characters and each has their way of traveling believe me.

• Humza - Dovahkiin stereotype of the internet, though he may look like a strong heroic Nord of the legends the elder scrolls foretold, bane and dragonslayer and hero of both Tamriel and Skyrim, he is actually lazy (like myself). He might walk for a bit but no more than 2 miles unless he has has a break, he will use horse a lot unless he has alcohol in his (I wouldn't advice it, trust me)
  • Kairal - Breton - He is how you say the opposite of Humza, he too is Dragonborn but is a damaged, evil (with a soft spot) aswell as intelligent. Because of trauma and his samurai/blades upbringing and being kidnapped, he will do what ever for power. So that being said, he is willing to push his body beyond the limit, he doesn't care and he knows it will benefit him after so he is willing to walk a lot. Plus on PC, I am planning him to be vampire lord and being a vampire technically means you don't get tired.
  • Stev - Expert hunter Bosmer for a 21 year old. He is a archer or scout ranger type and inspired adventurer. He is skinny and athletic, he has a lot of stamina for a skinny guy but since is a Bosmer and trained to be a hunter, he is trained to run a lot, that being said he can run a lot without getting tired. Unless your being very overkill like Riften to Windhelm.
Frostall is awesome for traveling. Literally, You could be on the your way to Winterhold from Solitude and you have to camp every night and sleep to get their. As you progress, you notice a change in the weather, and its a really awesome feeling because you are at Skyrim's mercy. Like I said its about the joruney not the destination and it really adds roleplay and immersion.

Indri Master

Dremora
I travel everywhere with any of my 4 hounds. I also turn off my HUD so trips usually take about 3-4 Skyrim days. On my Orc user I like strolling in my Thalmor Robes looking like a Dremora badass.

jarif

I travel everywhere with any of my 4 hounds. I also turn off my HUD so trips usually take about 3-4 Skyrim days. On my Orc user I like strolling in my Thalmor Robes looking like a Dremora badass.

turning off the hud is awesome when traveling!

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
I had Serana for a while but I dumped her for Annekke and we go everywhere together. My horse appears next to me whenever I fast travel so sometimes I ride him, but at other times it's a problem, so I tend to fast travel somewhere else close by and walk the rest of the way, leaving the horse behind.
I don't have any followers when I do the Dark Brotherhood quest. I am avoiding that this time because I don't want Annekke to go home just yet :)
I use a combination of fast travel and walking. I walk a lot when I am hunting for souls to fill my empty soul gems. Sometimes I just feel like not doing any quests and just wander off to explore. I found Anise's camp in this way.