• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
So I've bought 3 horses now.. first time it died.. second and third time I got off to kill a dragon and it disappeared... -.- Not spending anymore gold on horses.
>> Welcome to the party pal !! Yep, it is a waste of money and that happened to me also, so don’t feel you did something wrong. Now, I do prefer to walk or run so I can explore better. But I am not going to deny the fact that sometimes, I would like to have a horse available, especially when I am climbing to find a shortcut. Harvak is good to have it though but deep in the game which it is not good I guess. Beside, riding a horse you are more vulnerable than not.
With the lot of stamina I got, I can tell you that I am running faster than a horse, believe or not ... if I could change my name in the game, I will call myself “Ghost Rider” ... lol ...

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
For me, I like horses and all, but I wish there was an option to tell it to wait or something along those lines.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Also, I have never been very good at steering, but you CAN fight on horseback. You can use melee weapons and bows, believe it or not, but not shouts or magic. With a sword, for example, your right attack button does a right side swipe and your left button does a left side swipe. Hold the button and you'll hold your sword aloft on the appropriate side, and then swing when you release.
I like archery from my horse. Works like a charm. Never tried the one handed though.

HappyTroll

I got tired of having them get fried by the dragons. Cause the dumb horse fights for you, which is cool, but dumb. I like the latest one enough that I tend to use healing hands on it after we get into a scrape with something big.

Snake-Brother282

The Saxhleel Slayer
Admittedly, I did find the mounted combat to be a bit stiff at first, but I came to appreciate the little bit of variation, I mean obviously fighting on horseback is more difficult than on your own two feet, you're trying to ride a horse and kill people at the same time! For me the challenge lies in never dismounting and finding interesting ways to implement Calvary-based tactics. I also always carry a two-handed weapon exclusively for mounted combat, better reach. That being said I only use horses when I'm not using a follower, somehow it just makes those moments when you're charging into a group of bandits, with your axe drawn, about to cut down some hapless archer, just that much more enjoyable.

sticky runes

Another thing that sucks about horses is they can't swim against currents, which makes crossing some rivers a bitch.
Can't use spells or shouts from horseback either.
Can't talk to people while on horseback or gather items, i have to dismount to do those things.
Yet they can nimbly charge up rocks like a spider, whats that all about? o_O

Sparky04

On my first character I had a palomino for the whole game, till I acquired Frost. Lost Frost shortly after, I mean completely lost, went back and couldn't even find a body. However my old palomino was waiting for me where I had purchased him. Guess I'll stick with my trusty horse. However on my new character, her horse died 4 times in the space of a few minutes. I kept reloading until I got frustrated and decided to walk.

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)
This is why I either use Shadowmere or Arvak. They are completely free. Shadowmere is nearly unstoppable, and Arvak obviously can't be killed.

You can choose either one according to how you like to play. Arvak is for those players that get annoyed easily by horses that try to help you fight and fast travel with you. But keep in mind, when you fast travel, if you start walking away, the horse doesn't follow you. So I don't see the problem here, but anyways. Arvak can be summoned anywhere, and can't die or be lost, so that is handy. And he also looks totally kick ass. But he rarely helps you fight considering he just "dies" and goes back (and he makes this horrifying sound every time he does, it bothers me to hear a horse like that, it reminds me of my own horse Roxy).

Shadowmere is more so for people who don't mind their horse fighting by their side. You don't pay for him, so there is no waste of gold. But I have seen this horse take on TWO dragons at once, with no help from anyone, and he did perfectly fine on his own. You can stand there and beat the plops out of him with legendary enchanted daedric and dragonbone weapons, and he's totally fine. That horse is evil I swear with his cool red eyes. So really the only way I've ever seen him die is by falling off a cliff, but even then he respawns, so no biggy. Personally, I typically prefer Shadowmere. I have a love for horses because I actually own them, so I don't mind him fighting by my side. Plus, he picks up the slack and gets me out of tight spots by distraction. Also, he has a unique saddle blanket with the DB symbol. Lastly, his stats are higher than all the other horses. Oh, and he has red eyes, I thought that was cool....

But, for the normal horses, it is a complete waste of money. Absolutely agree here. They die so easily, so I never wanted to take them anywhere with me. Since I knew they were going to die, I tried not to make them fight, but to no avail. So if you fast travel where something is already trying to kill you, you can bet your horse is gonna die. This is indeed very annoying.

EDIT, I forgot to add. Plus you can fight off of horseback, which is actually handy because you take less damage. And if you see something you want to collect or explore... just get off the horse.

Majir-Dar

Confused Khajiit
I can't ride a horse, I have to be able to pick my mushrooms... for alchemical reasons.

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
I call the $1000 it takes to buy a new horse my stupidity tax. I gladly pay it, and fast, so that it seems like my horse never died at all. :)

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
Horses are definitely a mixed bag. I didn't care for them when I first started playing. They seemed expensive for what you got. Even after mounted combat was added, riding a horse can be somewhat tedious if you want to interact with people or pick ingredients. And if it was a "borrowed" horse, as soon as you got off it would walk back to where you found it.

Still, they have their uses. I have scoured Dwemer ruins of almost every scrap of metal that could be smelted down into ingots and looted everything I could lay my hands on. I was barely able to walk when I left. But I had the foresight to buy a horse which made the trip back to civilization a lot faster. And horses can go places which are incredibly difficult to get to otherwise. Like the nearly vertical side of a mountain, for example.

They do have a nasty tendency to die. But when you have more gold than you know what to do with, 1000 Septims is nothing. I much prefer Shadowmere but that isn't always an option.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
This is why I either use Shadowmere or Arvak. They are completely free. Shadowmere is nearly unstoppable, and Arvak obviously can't be killed.

You can choose either one according to how you like to play. Arvak is for those players that get annoyed easily by horses that try to help you fight and fast travel with you. But keep in mind, when you fast travel, if you start walking away, the horse doesn't follow you. So I don't see the problem here, but anyways. Arvak can be summoned anywhere, and can't die or be lost, so that is handy. And he also looks totally kick ass. But he rarely helps you fight considering he just "dies" and goes back (and he makes this horrifying sound every time he does, it bothers me to hear a horse like that, it reminds me of my own horse Roxy).

Shadowmere is more so for people who don't mind their horse fighting by their side. You don't pay for him, so there is no waste of gold. But I have seen this horse take on TWO dragons at once, with no help from anyone, and he did perfectly fine on his own. You can stand there and beat the pl*** out of him with legendary enchanted daedric and dragonbone weapons, and he's totally fine. That horse is evil I swear with his cool red eyes. So really the only way I've ever seen him die is by falling off a cliff, but even then he respawns, so no biggy. Personally, I typically prefer Shadowmere. I have a love for horses because I actually own them, so I don't mind him fighting by my side. Plus, he picks up the slack and gets me out of tight spots by distraction. Also, he has a unique saddle blanket with the DB symbol. Lastly, his stats are higher than all the other horses. Oh, and he has red eyes, I thought that was cool....

But, for the normal horses, it is a complete waste of money. Absolutely agree here. They die so easily, so I never wanted to take them anywhere with me. Since I knew they were going to die, I tried not to make them fight, but to no avail. So if you fast travel where something is already trying to kill you, you can bet your horse is gonna die. This is indeed very annoying.

EDIT, I forgot to add. Plus you can fight off of horseback, which is actually handy because you take less damage. And if you see something you want to collect or explore... just get off the horse.
I agree that Shadowmere is cool but take exception to "Arvak can be summoned anywhere". No he can't. Just try summoning him anywhere near civilization and see yourself fail. Arvak may be interesting, but for those of us that don't want to spend all of our time out in the hinterlands, Arvak is relatively pointless. Besides, he frightens the children...

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)
Horses are definitely a mixed bag. I didn't care for them when I first started playing. They seemed expensive for what you got. Even after mounted combat was added, riding a horse can be somewhat tedious if you want to interact with people or pick ingredients. And if it was a "borrowed" horse, as soon as you got off it would walk back to where you found it.

Still, they have their uses. I have scoured Dwemer ruins of almost every scrap of metal that could be smelted down into ingots and looted everything I could lay my hands on. I was barely able to walk when I left. But I had the foresight to buy a horse which made the trip back to civilization a lot faster. And horses can go places which are incredibly difficult to get to otherwise. Like the nearly vertical side of a mountain, for example.

They do have a nasty tendency to die. But when you have more gold than you know what to do with, 1000 Septims is nothing. I much prefer Shadowmere but that isn't always an option.

Hahahah I'm so happy I'm not the only one who uses my horse for mountain climbing. They can literally go up almost any mountain with no problem. It's for me when I start getting pissed off about trying to find some cave all the way on top of a mountain when I can't find the goddamn road and the spell Clairvoyance won't do it's job. So I just hop on the horse and go straight towards the marker, works like a charm.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
The fact that your horses got killed, doesn't make them a waste of money. It means you should be more careful with them. :p I usually leave them behind when there is trouble nearby. And I have to say, it is just quicker. Many people say walking and riding a horse goes just as fast. That's not true..

HappyTroll

I agree. I like having the horse. If I see something troubling I will usually backtrack with the horse and dismount and walk back. This also gives my follower a chance to catch up. Its as scenic as walking and I can outrun wolves etc.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

sticky runes

Using horses as a mountain climber is convenient, but also very daft. The human character should be able to climb vertically up cliffs, while the horse should find steep rocks like that impassible. That's just dumb gaming mechanics.