• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Swedestanlogical

Premium Member
Dude, TOTALLY agree. I literally went from playing Red Dead Redemption, which has the BEST horse riding gameplay I've payed, to this game. It feels like they didn't upgrade horses at all from oblivion :sadface: Which is super disappointing.

And yeah, to the original poster- I've had that happen to me 3 times!!! I get off to fight a dragon which I DONT even wanna fight right then anyway, and my horse DISAPPEARS! WTF is that. Why FORCE me to fight a fl*ffing dragon if yorue gonna make my horse disappear!? Especially, when it's a quest horse that you CANT BUY AT OTHER STABLES.

SOOOO annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is real life - horses will move away from danger - just look around and you will find them - in Real life I run a ranch - if you hop off a horse, they will wander off to graze - if they get spooked - they run for a while then stop to graze - for me the horse simulation is very realistic

Nuclear Dave

With the horse that i bought, every time I lost him, he would reappear at the next place I fast traveled to. Is this not happening for yall? I have now stopped using horses as they try to fight anything near them once I dismount. This, most of the time, gets them killed. So now I just walk/sneak every where. which really affords me a better look at the world.Because in the end, trying to look around on a horse while moving just makes me fall off mountains and trails.

you CAN attack from horseback. X to draw your weapon, and right trigger to slash. its the same as regular fighting. only you can't use magic. oh, i forgot, holding left trigger, makes you swing on the left side, not block. personally, i think the horse simulation is awesome. they can sprint, they behave like real horses, heck, they even acknowledge your there if you walk in front of them. makes the horses in Oblivion look....well, like dumb AI's, which they were. yeah, i wish i could use my saddlebags, but hey, Bethesda can't be perfect. and they last so much better in a fight. my horse (i am level 18, and more or less half way through the main quest. this is my first horse, and she is in perfect health, because i am careful with her) helped me six shot a dragon. not a powerful one, just a green, but still. their combat AI is so much better than the Oblivion horses, who were, in my opinion weak.

BG5150

Gold is so easy to come by in this game. You should be able to buy a horse every time you want to travel somewhere.

BG5150

That said, I rarely use a horse, as I usually have a follower in tow.

I wish I could park Shadowmere somewhere and get him only when I wanted him.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
So I've bought 3 horses now.. first time it died.. second and third time I got off to kill a dragon and it disappeared... -.- Not spending anymore gold on horses.
Good call. You sound like me. I cannot have animal companions. They always get killed (especially horses - and their expensive!). Besides, you can run as fast as your horse anyhow and they pretty much just look good.

If you really want a good horse get Frost or Shadowmere (unless you're in to skeletal horses that won't go anywhere near civilization).

Frost I luv cause of the look and, apparently my game is glitched to make him all but unkillable (unless I do it directly - bad juju) and Shadowmere is just plain cool.

If you want your disappeared horses back, just fast travel anywhere and the last one you were riding will reappear. They probably just ran away when you got off (wouldn't you if there was a dragon involved!).

JMO

sticky runes

Horses in this game are so sh!t. I bought two horses in one day once - the first got put down by a single arrow from a bandit, the second died after being bitten by a wolf and then zapped by a bandit's lightning bolt. They suck.

Daelon DuLac

Daelon DuLac

That's why I stick with Shadowmere :cool:
hey, at least you don't stick TO Shadowmere. That would be gross. :) Too bad you can only get it by joining the DB, not by destroying it. :)

True, but if that's the case then Arvak can get the job done just as well :D
I like Arvak and he'd be perfect for my current Ingin, but he won't go anywhere near civilization. Makes sense really - a skeletal horse would pretty much freak everybody out if I rode it in to Falkreath and how on Nirn would any of the stablekeepers know what to do with it?

DestroyerDevourMaster

"Zu'u Alduin. Zok sahrot do naan ko Lein!"
hey, at least you don't stick TO Shadowmere. That would be gross. :) Too bad you can only get it by joining the DB, not by destroying it. :)

True, but if that's the case then Arvak can get the job done just as well :D
I like Arvak and he'd be perfect for my current Ingin, but he won't go anywhere near civilization. Makes sense really - a skeletal horse would pretty much freak everybody out if I rode it in to Falkreath and how on Nirn would any of the stablekeepers know what to do with it?

Now that would be a problem.

Daelon DuLac

So I've bought 3 horses now.. first time it died.. second and third time I got off to kill a dragon and it disappeared... -.- Not spending anymore gold on horses.

I tend to sell a lot of items and 6 hours later I'm very wealthy so buying a horse isn't much of a problem for me. I just don't like how these horses have low stamina.
I always have plenty of money to buy the horses, I just figure, for 1K gold I should get more use than 30 seconds out of 'em. Without fail, as soon as I get on one I'm attacked by a bear, a dragon, bandits or once time a spriggan. Sheesh... whoda thought a spriggan would be that close to whiterun?

WarriorMage

Hey! Someone stole my sweet roll!
second and third time I got off to kill a dragon and it disappeared.

Try going back to the town where you bought it. I sometimes find mine there. But then the problem is that when you ride them as soon as you get off they walk back to their home stable. They're only good for one way travel.

Speaking of Shadowmere, do you have to take him? My Breton just joined the Dark Brotherhood but has no interest in ever owning a horse. Besides, she's a werewolf. She would probably just eat him.

Daelon DuLac

second and third time I got off to kill a dragon and it disappeared.

Try going back to the town where you bought it. I sometimes find mine there. But then the problem is that when you ride them as soon as you get off they walk back to their home stable. They're only good for one way travel.

Speaking of Shadowmere, do you have to take him? My Breton just joined the Dark Brotherhood but has no interest in ever owning a horse. Besides, she's a werewolf. She would probably just eat him.
After introduction, you're under no obligation to actually ride him. I usually hop on, hop off and just leave him be.

I luv it "just eat him". heheheheheh.... :)

JoeReese

Horses are also great when you leave a Dungeon and you are overburdened from loot and it makes it a lot faster to get back to civilization to sell your loot.
this is true. you can ride horses while you are over encumbered.
Exactly, which makes the horse invaluable. It is easy to kill the horse, though, if you get attacked and they try to come and help. When dragons attack, the horse rarely goes too far from the scene. You can find them by making a circle around the immediate area, or just fast traveling somewhere else and the horse will show up like a follower.

If your horse walks away and heads back home, they are not YOUR horse. That's the difference in stealing/borrowing the horses. Your horse will stay where you put them, unless they are attacked, and then they will stay close.

What I do, to help my horses live longer, is fast travel to known safe locations and then walk the rest of the way to a new dungeon. If I want to hit Hamvir's Rest, for example, I'll fast travel to Dustman's cairn and leave the horse, then walk around the corner.

In dungeons, if you become overloaded, put everything into a trunk, urn, or sack, near the front door. Then you're free to run around as you please. When you're done, fast travel right to the same location, and your horse will arrive. Ride him up to the door, grab your stuff, and get back on the horse, and then off you go.

JoeReese

Also, I have never been very good at steering, but you CAN fight on horseback. You can use melee weapons and bows, believe it or not, but not shouts or magic. With a sword, for example, your right attack button does a right side swipe and your left button does a left side swipe. Hold the button and you'll hold your sword aloft on the appropriate side, and then swing when you release.

Reactions: Atz

Atz

Yep I did the same thing when I first started S.R. 1000 G a pop and bears are out there lickin there chops :eek: No More Horses

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
I use Arvak from time to time. But my followers can't keep up and I feel like an ass for speeding off ahead while they're struggling to keep up.

Also... (can't resist)
qewe.jpg

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts