• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Nameless233

I am going to make another Mage file and was wondering what race would be better for a Mage, high elf or Breton. I am going to use destruction ( and one other type of magic, which I would also like some help choosing with :) ) Bretons start with no destruction at all..... Is this hard to make back or does it come easily? Also, bretons don't start with extra magika, is this a huge problem or easy to overcome? I'm leaning towards being a Breton as I've never been one before, but any comments, suggestions, or answers to my questions are welcome.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
High Elves tend to be better at offense, due to their bonus magicka to start with and their racial ability while Bretons are slightly better at defense, with their magic resistance and Dragonskin racial ability. However there is no reason you couldn't play an offensive Breton or a defensive High Elf. Your play style determines what skills level up. At the beginning of the game each race has a slight advantage over the others in different areas but this is negligible and easily overcame. You could have an Orc mage if you really wanted to, though they're better suited for wearing heavy armor and beating someone's face in with an axe.

Bretons start with Conjure Familiar and High Elves get Fury. You can go with the flow and specialize in their respective areas of strength or do your own thing. I currently have a Breton mage-type character that uses no offensive attacks at all. Any damage he deals must be done by conjuring an Atronach or through his follower. If I must deal damage directly I either use my bare fists or a single strike with a dagger tipped with a paralyze poison so he can get away. He's being played as a non-combatant but you can do whatever you like. It's your game.

Nameless233

Ya ok and I chose illusion and destruction after, hope that works out..... Should I get my sneak up with illusion? Some people say is a good combo, but I'm not sure if it's worth the perks.

Flint firestorm

The leading man, who else?
If you like destruction them a dark elf is a much better choice. A high elf is more offensive (destruction+high magicka) and Bretons more defensive (absorb spell damage and resistant to spells).

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
I <3 Sneak. It's by far my favorite skill but then I favor stealth playing. Nearly every character I have made has taken 5/5 Stealth and most also take Backstab, Deadly Aim, and Assassin's Blade. Sometimes I take Muffled Movement but if you're playing with Illusion you can cast Muffle, or find something enchanted with it.

Shadowbane

Premium Member
if you use enchanting to get unlimited mana then the high elfs original abilitys to regenerate magicka and to be born with 50 extra magicka become useless IMO. I chose Breton because even though i can always get extra magica resistance, its a permanent buff on anything I wear. but with most characters all of there abilities become usless once you get to endgame

tigersauce

Caravan Guard
I'd say breton for a more battlemage/spellsword build and high elf for a more strict mage build

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?

Nighthiker77

There is a huge difference in movement speed, especially if you are playing a female character. The altmer is the fastest, and the female Breton is the slowest of all.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk