• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

MyNameIsJon

So, I just got this game. I was playing around with it and heard about mods. I found some mod called Skyrim Scaling Stopper. So, I installed it.

I got through the starter dungeon I guess you'd call it, with the Imperial guy, and then he told me to go to Rivenwood. I did so. Along the way I met a fisherwoman. She seemed paranoid about her fishing. I left her alone though. After all, I don't care what she does out there. I'm not the boss of her.

So, I make it to Rivenwood and meet a shopkeeper. In casual conversation, he told me about some kind of golden claw of his that was stolen. So, I decided to go to Bleak Falls Barrow. Some thugs apparently are holed up there with the claw. Ok, fine. I just started this game. This is my first quest, so this should be easy.

So, I make my way up the mountain around the windy road. I get close to this castle like structure and there is someone standing outside next to a tree. I get closer and figure out it's a person. A woman. So, she sees me and comes out after me angrier than a hornet. She gets closer and I find out she is a Bandit Plunderer. Whatever that is. Just then something hits me and I lose more than half my health. One of the other brigands has a bow. So, I ran for my life. These bandits hit harder than the crab I killed, or the deer, or even the wolf.

I ran away from the archer, but the female bandit followed. I jumped up on a rock where she could not hit me. I used my flamethrower spell and it seemed to work well. I jumped off the rock and in the process of running after me, she fell into a crevass. I jumped down to a point slightly above her and was able to roast her alive. First, she taunted me, but as her health ebbed, she was reduced to whimpering. lol She finally died and ragdolled down the mountain.

In all this commotion, I leveled up to level 2. Oh good.

I looted her, then went back for the archer. I thought I could toy with him a bit and get him to make a mistake like the woman. Well, he came out after me and I tried to hide from him around a spire. I made a mistep and he shot an arrow into my face. I was killed instantly.

I tried again. Same thing.

I tried again and ran all the way down the hill. He followed and I got tired of trying to make him do what I wanted. I ran back up the hill and ran all the way to his fort. I looked behind me but he did not follow. I went into the fort.

I quickly looted a bowl and ladle. Then a change purse. I was so nervous, I didn't even see how much gold was in it. I feared the guy would come back at any second.

I then ran up some stairs and was about to jump out onto an outside ledge when I heard a sword being unsheathed. I went back down the stairs, out the door, and ran for my life. I went over the rocks and into the river. I made it back to Rivenwood.

That was enough for one day. I was exhausted.

So, my question is this ... is the mod I installed doing its job? Are those enemies the ones that normally inhabit that place? Regardless, Bleak Falls Barrow is clearly over my head at this point.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Have you played vanilla version of Skyrim yet, for any amount of length? If not I suggest playing through it without any mods to start with. Then, after some play throughs, think about adding mods to your game.

But if these npcs are killing you the best thing you can do is level up before fighting them. With no level scaling they will always be that tough until you get better skills and gear. But once you outrank them in level, etc, they will always be weaker than you in that area. Most times. And so forth.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
So let me get this straight. You bought Skyrim and before your first play though installed a mod you obviously didn't understand?

MyNameIsJon

I guess my post was too verbose for some to handle. My question was ... what kind of enemies normally hang around outside or near the entrance to Bleak Falls Barrow, or does it change throughout the course of the game?

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
As far as I know there are always some form of generic Bandits out front. I usually have 3 Bandits, including one using a bow. I think a Bandit Plunderer is a higher up version of a standard Bandit, so it seems like something that normally wouldn't be there at level 1 or 2. I would assume at level 1 or 2 there should be baddies named "Bandit." The list for their scaling is this Bandits (Skyrim) - The Elder Scrolls Wiki

Level 1 - Bandit
Level 5 - Bandit Outlaw
Level 9 - Bandit Thug
Level 14 - Bandit Highwayman
Level 19 - Bandit Plunderer
Level 25 - Bandit Marauder
Level 28 - Bandit Chief

As you can see, your Bandit Plunderer is a level 19 creep.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
The mod is working. Most encounters will be in the range of 18-20.

XbSuper

Why would you add a mod, before even playing the game? Enemies normally level with you. From what I understand, your mod is placing them at fixed levels, so if your characters level is not near, or above, the enemy level, they will likely be much harder than intended. Try logging a few hours without mods, then decide which ones you would like to use.

MyNameIsJon

As far as I know there are always some form of generic Bandits out front. I usually have 3 Bandits, including one using a bow. I think a Bandit Plunderer is a higher up version of a standard Bandit, so it seems like something that normally wouldn't be there at level 1 or 2. I would assume at level 1 or 2 there should be baddies named "Bandit."

... your Bandit Plunderer is a level 19 creep.

Thank you very much, Street. I should have known an owl would be wise.

So, yes, I am level 3 now. I don't do much hunting yet. I pretty much stay around Riverwood, familiarizing myself with the place, upping my sneak skill using M'aiq, learning how to make things on the workbench ... stuff like that.

I realize I've only killed one enemy of importance so far, but I'm in no hurry. This game might have had a deadline, but I don't have one.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
For future reference, you can determine an enemies level by opening up the console (with the tilde key), targetting the enemy, and typing the GetLevel command.

MyNameIsJon

For future reference, you can determine an enemies level by opening up the console (with the tilde key), targetting the enemy, and typing the GetLevel command.

Wow, thanks, Dagmar! That is a very useful command.

I am finding out that enemies love to come out at night and roam around. They seem to be coming from Bleak Falls Barrow. I ran into 3 adept mages near there. I ran for my life, but they are very accurate with their bolts. They killed me.

I went back later that day and found the Treasure Hunter bent over backwards. He was dead. Didn't he have a dog with him? No sign of him, but I found a dead rabbit in the vacinity. If bandits did that, they are indeed loathsome creatures. They didn't even loot the fallen. They must kill for sport or because they enjoy it. One day I will be strong enough to teach them a lesson.

I bought a pickaxe and again went back to that area ... again it was at night. I seem to find trouble quite easily. Anyway, I ran right into 4 Bandit Plunderers combing the area. I don't know what they were looking for, more victims I guess, but I managed to hide. My sneak skill went up almost 20 points in 15 minutes! LOL It was great. I think I leveled 3 times just crouching there.

I'm having a lot of fun with this game. I never know what will happen next.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts