• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

adrian-smith31

Argonian
It's the Vance Miller kitchen spammers that seems to be the worst on my forums. Almost all come from Indionesian IP addresses including the hackers that have on one occasion caused my server to crash by using a program to brute force the admin & moderator account passwords.

Banning their IP addresses does not always work as they hide behind proxy servers. I ban the IP for 30 days because it will probably change later.

I have noticed that the spam on this forum has got worse recently indicating a spammer has got around the anti-spam systems. Often they will use a real human to figure out the Q&A and add it to a database for the spambot programs so this makes stopping them altogether impossible.

A Q&A based CAPTCHA using multiple questions and answers which gets changed often keeps spam to a minimum. Also forum software version must be kept up to date. Trick is to balance it to keep spammers at bay and not to put off genuine visitors who want to sign up by being forced to answer several stupid questions.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Is this the one with the dirty pictures or the one with the pictures that don't make any sense? I usually just ignore those. The only SPAM that bother's me are the adverts.

The dirty pictures. The ones with the naked character... the, I think the politically correct term is, "intersex" one? I don't really know. It's got boobs and a penis! OK?!?! LMAO. :oops:

Wait, please tell me I'm not the only one that sees this from time to time... Please? :eek:

I haven't seen much other spam on the forums, to be honest. I guess because people are diligent with reporting it or I can passively dismiss them or something.
Oh, I've seen it. :) I've seen worse, not on the Skyrim Forums, of course, but I did live in the San Francisco Bay Area for almost 20 years, so I've definately seen worse. Can you imagine playing that character though? Talk about an RP Dibella opportunity!

JoeReese

I used to report spam posts like you. Then I took them still all being there, several days later, to the knee.

AS88

Staff member
I've not been on for a few weeks due to IRL stuff, and probably will be coming on every few days to check stuff isn't getting too out of hand. As some of you know, Rayven has given me the ability to clean up spam and ban users, but I can't IP ban.

I've just deleted about 20 threads and banned the users going back to about Monday until now, so I'll try to keep on top of stuff while I'm here. :)

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I've not been on for a few weeks due to IRL stuff, and probably will be coming on every few days to check stuff isn't getting too out of hand. As some of you know, Rayven has given me the ability to clean up spam and ban users, but I can't IP ban.

I've just deleted about 20 threads and banned the users going back to about Monday until now, so I'll try to keep on top of stuff while I'm here. :)
You're far too good to us. We don't deserve it. :)

Twiffle

A thankless task,, so its thanks from me as a small gesture friend, .. .. :cool:

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows

Thanks AS88 :) I've been keeping up on reporting them. I saw one spam post in the Dawnguard subforum now, and that worries me... I hope they won't start posting in more than one forum section.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts