• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

stephj1216

Hey,

Since I'm new to this game and Elder Scrolls in general I'm not sure exactly which path to take. I've decided I wanted to make a Thief/Assassin character, however, I don't know if I should complete the Main quest first and then the Theives Guild/DB questlines.

Any advice would be appreciated!

lolkhajiit

Hear Me Roar!
I would suggest doing either the Thieve's Guild or Dark Brotherhood first. Or both, like I did with my first character. Going through either of these questlines can help build your assassin/theif skills. Plus they are great ways to introduce yourself to how the game works. Since you are going to be an assassin/theif, I would strongly reccomend using archery in these questlines, because archery is pretty much all I use on my my first character. Trust me, archery is effective during the battles in the war. Especially if you used it alot during the Dark Brotherhood/Thieve's Guild questlines. Anyway, rambling aside, I hope this helps. By the way, welcome to Skyrim! :D

Morgan

Seconded. Both of those questlines also get you some pretty decent gear early on if you do them first.

Train

Is that all you got?!
Yeah, it's best not to ever do the mainquest of an open world RPG...it's just so wrong unless it's one of the last things left to do. I did it eventually, but I wasn't happy about it, what a disgrace; forgive me, Bethesda... ;)

The Reele Deele

picture is temp
It's worth advancing the main quest a mission or two, like through Kynesgrove, in order to get Dragons to show up with a little more frequency. That way, you've got more than one way to get dragon souls. Aura Whisper and Throw Voice can be pretty handy for a thief/assassin!

lolkhajiit

Hear Me Roar!
It's worth advancing the main quest a mission or two, like through Kynesgrove, in order to get Dragons to show up with a little more frequency. That way, you've got more than one way to get dragon souls. Aura Whisper and Throw Voice can be pretty handy for a thief/assassin!
Good idea I didn't think of this. Though couldn't you just advance to the first dragon to get dragons appearing? You wouldn't need to advance all the way to Kynesgrove would you?

The Reele Deele

picture is temp
Good idea I didn't think of this. Though couldn't you just advance to the first dragon to get dragons appearing? You wouldn't need to advance all the way to Kynesgrove would you?

They'll appear once you deal with the first one near Whiterun, all right, but the further you get in the story, the more frequently they appear/are spawned. So getting to at least Kynesgrove will ensure a fair number of dragons/souls available without being overwhelming for an assassin starting out.

lolkhajiit

Hear Me Roar!
They'll appear once you deal with the first one near Whiterun, all right, but the further you get in the story, the more frequently they appear/are spawned. So getting to at least Kynesgrove will ensure a fair number of dragons/souls available without being overwhelming for an assassin starting out.
Oh I see. I wasn't sure if mattered how far you are in the main quest that determined the frequency of dragons.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts