• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

TJ0331

Nords forever
I made an assassin that uses the ebony blade as a primary and is either going to use a bow or destruction as a secondary. I am going to get silent casting regardless but I have two questions. One will the ebony blade be good enough during higher levels or will it become too weak? My second is, should I use destruction with silent casting or just use a bow?

Nighthiker77

I prefer archery. No magica or stamina required, and you get more bang for your perk points.
You also don't have a sneak damage bonus for destruction
You can deliver poisons with a bow

TJ0331

Nords forever
I can't seem to get any upgrades for the ebony blade. I kill people that I have helped and nothing no voice or anything. I did get it by using a glitch so maybe thats the problem.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
As an assassin I prefer bow and daggers to any magic...maybe a little illusion.
Also im not 100% sure but I think by getting the ebony blade by the glitch (the silver platter through the wall??) Means you cant upgrade it. If you like the look of the sword and the absorb feature, what about harkons sword? Its one of the most unique enchantments, looks sweet annnd can be smithed?

I like the ebony blade to ,but as I havnt done any of the main quest I cant get it without glitch, im assuming thats what your doing?

TJ0331

Nords forever
Maybe I can just restart and make a new assassin. I still want a dunmer. I will probably do archery, alchemy, enchanting, one handed, light armor and maybe illusion.

Pete

I take my queue from the assassins in the game. I duel wield a sword and dagger for up close battles and self defense. I don't really worry about if it's ebony or steel. By using the right perks my characters become quiet deadly.

• Bow for silent long range kills
  • Daggers for the silent up close and personal kills
  • Stealth tree perks to make bows and daggers deadly
  • Elemental fury and duel welding sword / dagger for defense or basic attacks
  • Lady stone for regen health / stamina bonuses
  • Alchemy perks to make apply deadly poisons
  • Light armor
I will use enchanted items from time to time for special situations.

On my assassin build, i invested most of my skill points in archery and one handed. A little bit of illusion and alteration magic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

TJ0331

Nords forever
I think I might add enchanting but I'm not sure yet.

TJ0331

Nords forever
I don't know if I should start my new assassin or keep playing as my archer right now. My archer is a typical archer that uses a crossbow and a little sneak but can switch to a sword and board and fight in a melee situation. What do you guys think I should do?

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
I don't know if I should start my new assassin or keep playing as my archer right now. My archer is a typical archer that uses a crossbow and a little sneak but can switch to a sword and board and fight in a melee situation. What do you guys think I should do?

A true assassin is a comfortable using all types of weapons but is a master of short bladed weapons and usually realies heavily on weapons that can kill at a distance. Whether that be a more traditional bow&arrow or a technical crossbow.

The decision is of course yours to make but if i were to make a 'pure' assassin with a RP story behind it than I would go as the young elf who was always good with a bow but had an eye for the prized kill. As he grew older he found unlike his fellow hunters he worked very well byhimself. Sneaking around became 2nd nature and he learned of a group of people in Riften who earned lots of money by being 1with the shadows. Always keen to learn, the young elf decided to check out this guild in hope to hone his skill.

Though quickly rising through the ranks at the guild due to his natural ability, the elf always had to hold back from unsheathing his dagger everytime he snuck close to someone, as killing in the guild is a no-no.

Happy with his progress but never 100% satisfied, the elf than heard a rumour that someone needed the skills of a silent assassin...

Weapons - dagger (mehrunes is easy enough to get closeish to the beggining of the game), enchanted powerful bow (maybe nightingale), and a long bow (for delivering poisons - fantastic idea, NOT my idea but I read it on this forum and I will find em and give em credit).

Skills - archery, sneak, 1handed, alchemy, light armour (optional. If you want a real challange maybe try having your assassin decked out in clothing)

Hope this helps!

Edit: Credit for the awesome idea of carrying a long bow around to administer your poisons stealthily and at range goes to LotusEater. Iv tried it and have actually started using poisons due to that clever technique.

TJ0331

Nords forever

A true assassin is a comfortable using all types of weapons but is a master of short bladed weapons and usually realies heavily on weapons that can kill at a distance. Whether that be a more traditional bow&arrow or a technical crossbow.

The decision is of course yours to make but if i were to make a 'pure' assassin with a RP story behind it than I would go as the young elf who was always good with a bow but had an eye for the prized kill. As he grew older he found unlike his fellow hunters he worked very well byhimself. Sneaking around became 2nd nature and he learned of a group of people in Riften who earned lots of money by being 1with the shadows. Always keen to learn, the young elf decided to check out this guild in hope to hone his skill.

Though quickly rising through the ranks at the guild due to his natural ability, the elf always had to hold back from unsheathing his dagger everytime he snuck close to someone, as killing in the guild is a no-no.

Happy with his progress but never 100% satisfied, the elf than heard a rumour that someone needed the skills of a silent assassin...

Weapons - dagger (mehrunes is easy enough to get closeish to the beggining of the game), enchanted powerful bow (maybe nightingale), and a long bow (for delivering poisons - fantastic idea, NOT my idea but I read it on this forum and I will find em and give em credit).

Skills - archery, sneak, 1handed, alchemy, light armour (optional. If you want a real challange maybe try having your assassin decked out in clothing)

Hope this helps!

Edit: Credit for the awesome idea of carrying a long bow around to administer your poisons stealthily and at range goes to LotusEater. Iv tried it and have actually started using poisons due to that clever technique.

Haha yeah. I am only going to use light armor because of all of the cool armors out there for assassins. Do you think if I got the ebony blade the right way that it could work endgame? If not no biggie but I love the feel of it on a dunmer.

Dawn

I'm not really sure why you want to use the Ebony Blade. Is it for looks or for the enchant or some other reason (asking because knowing the answer might help me provide a better answer to your question than below)?

To your question, depending on the difficulty level and the skills you take, you could handle anything in the game with the Ebony Blade.

At the same time, you could use many other weapons that would perform much better than the Ebony Blade.

The enchant is not unique, just the charging method (and the fact that it doesn't need soul gems to recharge).

With enchanting, you could put an equal or better Absorb Health enchant on any weapon, including weapons with stronger base damage or which could be improved through smithing.

Also for me a typical assassin would dual wield 1H weapons (usually daggers) and use archery over destruction.

This is both because those weapons fit the typical assassin seen in the game (and other games) and because the sneak perks are built around bonus damage tied to sneak attacks using archery and daggers.

In other words, you'll gimp yourself significantly if you are trying to play a sneak assassin while using a 2H weapon and destruction magic.

Doable - yes, optimal - hardly.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
High sneak, ranged & one handed (almost never dual wield) with illusion or destruction in the off hand. Just luv that kind of assassin. Usually no armor - enchanted mourner's clothes for me. Sometimes even just regular clothes if I'm using a lot of poison. RP the hide in plain sight thing.

TJ0331

Nords forever
It's not that I haven't played assassins before. I just wanted to make a unique one with the ebony blade but I will just make the traditional assassin. Very basic: One handed, archery, alchemy, light armor, sneak. Thanks guys.

TJ0331

Nords forever
There isn't any reason you couldn't use the ebony Blade. I might play one with the Longhammer at some point.

I might just save the ebony blade for a dunmer warrior that uses the ebony mail as well.