help me with my new character!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Tom

Article Writer
hey,

ever since my high level assassin got the bug where shadow warrior doesn't work anymore :sadface: i have lost interest in him (but i love him as well he was epic!!) so i am going to make a new main character! but what should i do???

i must say i like to keep to role play a bit and im not overly fond of magic. i do like full on combat but find it a little boring after a while and obviously i love assassin and thief type characters!

i have got a level 20 something paladin i use on master but again it gets a little boring with him, all i do is attack, block and heal and after a while i run out of things to do. so i think i might make another character that uses stealth as his main ability, but maybe not a full on assassin.

basically what type of stealth characters do you play or have played that are fun? i dont mind if there skill revolves around stealth kills, archery, theft or anything! i usually just play the most basic characters and dont ever mix it up.

ow and p.s i have not done any of the DLC yet so bare that in mind as well.

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
hey,

ever since my high level assassin got the bug where shadow warrior doesn't work anymore :sadface: i have lost interest in him (but i love him as well he was epic!!) so i am going to make a new main character! but what should i do???

i must say i like to keep to role play a bit and im not overly fond of magic. i do like full on combat but find it a little boring after a while and obviously i love assassin and thief type characters!

i have got a level 20 something paladin i use on master but again it gets a little boring with him, all i do is attack, block and heal and after a while i run out of things to do. so i think i might make another character that uses stealth as his main ability, but maybe not a full on assassin.

basically what type of stealth characters do you play or have played that are fun? i dont mind if there skill revolves around stealth kills, archery, theft or anything! i usually just play the most basic characters and dont ever mix it up.

ow and p.s i have not done any of the DLC yet so bare that in mind as well.
Try a Nightblade style character.
Basically your typical assassin but with Illusion too, you need to perk most of the illusion tree but it's worth it. You get muffle for silent footsteps, invisibility which when combined with muffle makes you completely undetectable when sneaking. Calm is also amazing for an assassin, as soon as your discovered cast calm/pacify on them and they will stop attacking, then just walk behind them and crouch for an easy backstab, this is even easier than shadow warrior attacks.
Use alchemy more too, it's especially good if you have hearthfire because of the greenhouse and garden, try my 2 favourite poisons, deathbell, salt pile and river betty for Slow movement and high damage health, and imp stool, canis root and mora tapinella for paralyze and lingering damage health.
Make sure you get the dark brotherhood gloves/gauntlets for double backstab damage and the assassins blade perk for x15 sneak attack damage, this adds up to x30 sneak attacks.
Also I recommend getting Mehrunes Razor for your main weapon.

Smarty

I used to have a witchhunter back in Oblivion, they're a pretty fun build, but they can be a bit tricky if you've never played a mage type before. In that case I would recommend a battlemage or spellsword, I never get bored of those. You may not want to do a pure mage though, since Destruction and Alteration at high levels is pretty weak.

Tom

Article Writer
using illusion looks really good, just watched a few vids and wow it looks like fun

I seccond Nightblade, or Arcane Assassin. The latter is my particular variant, with other magic besides Destruction (Not really Stealth Oriented) and usually unarmored, since non-detection is your primary Defense. Illusion, Conjuration (Bound Weapons, then late game Necromancy) and/or Alteration work well with Sneak, 1H, and Archery. If you just love Crafting too much to live without it, Alchemy is the best match up with these skills. My ideal Arcane Assassin build requires no gear whatsoever, just as lethal in a Loinclith.

Some quick Questions: What Difficulty are you, and what Factions' Quest Arcs where you planning on running? There's slight variations for DBH, TG, College of Winterhold, and combinations thereof, not even counting the DLCs.

Other variants I like to run are Stealthtank, Shadowhander (Greatsword/Battleaxes) Nightbow, and Backburner. (For the latter, think Festus.)

MaraRose

my most recent character is an altmer spellsinger/spellsword. shes also pretty stealthy, her boots are enchanted to be muffled. her sneak and archery skill are pretty high and i have a few perks in each. i also sided with the stormcloaks just to make things more interesting. it was pretty fun, ill admit, being the odd one out.

Tom

Article Writer
i will be doing, DB, Tg and then just messing about, probably side with the Stormcloaks and go around killing Thalmor.

Neveraine

BRINGER OF DEATH
What could also be fun is being a stealthy character who role plays as a pacifist. It can make several quests very challenging as you try to sneak your way by hostile characters, or use illusion to end their hostilities. It also makes sense with the thieves guild as they constantly talk about not killing people since it is bad business, but that has never stopped me from killing the guards at both golden glow estate or at the east empire trading company when you follow gulum eye (argonian in solitude), so forcing yourself not to do that could make things a lot more interesting as a stealth character.

Tom

Article Writer
i enjoy killing people to much haha. im going to make this new illusion assassin/ thief later today, he has to be a dark elf, now i just need to think of a back story for his RP :/ hmm.

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
i enjoy killing people to much haha. im going to make this new illusion assassin/ thief later today, he has to be a dark elf, now i just need to think of a back story for his RP :/ hmm.
If your going to be a Dark Elf then if you have Dawnguard I suggest becoming a Vampire Lord, the additional powers, Night eye ability, 25% sneak and Illusion bonus is very helpful for any thief/assassin + the Dark Elves resistance to fire totally eliminates the Vampires weakness to fire.
As for backstory I recommend the Morag Tong, you can get there armour in the Dragonborn DLC, perhaps you left the Morag Tong and joined the Dark Brotherhood for some reason. Here is some info http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Morag_Tong

Tom

Article Writer
hmm, i usually play my assassins as a anti hero kind of character, not full out evil, which i think being a vampire lord is! i would more likely become a member of the dawn guard and be some sort of special assassin for them.

i still like the idea of being a witch hunter! going around and seeking out vampires, witches, hargreavens etc

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
hmm, i usually play my assassins as a anti hero kind of character, not full out evil, which i think being a vampire lord is! i would more likely become a member of the dawn guard and be some sort of special assassin for them.

i still like the idea of being a witch hunter! going around and seeking out vampires, witches, hargreavens etc
For a witch hunter build your mainly focused on Archery, they also use alchemy for poisoning their arrows as well as destruction and conjuration.
You'd probably want to focus on fire spells as undead have a weakness to it, for summoning focus on the atronach side, summon an atronach and then switch to your bow, bound bow would work well too as it levels both conjuration and archery.
You also get the restoration spells like sun fire from the dawnguard.
You could use a bow or crossbow depending on how you play, if your an assassin you would use a bow as they are silent but if you move more towards a witchunter then a crossbow could be used as they are less focused on pure stealth.

Tom

Article Writer
i am thinking of assassin, but after my last assassin got a bug which destroyed him! when i went into shadow warrior the enemy just carry on attacking they always see me! so i cant just vanish anymore! i just dont want this to happen again :sadface:

so i am going to make a ex morag tong assassin, who was skilled in one handed combat and illusion ow and archery. im going to make him like a pure assassin, but also a bit of illusion just for invisibility :)

AS88

Staff member
im not overly fond of magic. i do like full on combat but find it a little boring after a while and obviously i love assassin and thief type characters!

I have a build for this type of playstyle, different to many of the other builds I've seen people try, but actually quite simple. I call it a Skirmisher.

Think of the Imperial Legion archers you see in Helgen and elsewhere. Light Armour, a Bow, and in many cases a Sword and Shield. Now what if one of those soldiers decided to leave the Legion and start out on their own, as a bounty hunter or mercenary?

First tactic is sniping from the shadows/hilltop. However, if you don't manage to pick everybody off, you're well capable as a short-term melee fighter, using a Sword and Shield. Mobility and tactics are key, but I've ran this build numerous times on Expert difficulty and very rarely find myself in too much trouble. Potions and poisons are your friend, and long fights with tanks or mages aren't, but what can they do if you've knocked them off balance with an arrow or a bash, and now they're lying on the ground paralysed?

At high levels, you can reach the armour cap with Light Armour, but still make the most of mobility and sneaking. With this build, you should never need to use magic, but that's obviously up to you. Illusion and/or Restoration would make this some kind of twisted Nightblade, which are unstoppable even without Block, which this build adds to most assassin-y builds.

Just a suggestion, and here's a picture to tempt you :p

IMAG01941_zpsc421d741.jpg

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts