Has anyone had this happen??

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

redrkt

Premium Member
I am trying to go to Ragnvald to find the word wall and ran into Farkas outside, now everytime I move it starts the dialogue window with him, I had to fast travel out of there to get away from him.
Anyone heard of this one? is it a glitch or part of the game? this is the second time on this run through that I have run into the companions far away from Whiterun, and the first time they started attacking me.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
I've had something similar happen to me where a npc would keep opening the dialogue window, but it stopped. I can't remember whether I loaded my last save or I quit and restarted the game, but usually these type of bugs are just temporary. I've also had my character's face stuck on a certain facial expression when my game loaded after I was killed and beheaded, but when I quit and restarted/loaded my game it was back to normal.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
I've had the Companions show up outside of Riften and attack me. I figured it had something to do with me having started trouble in Riften.

I've experienced this glitch before. I joined the companions and after a couple quests, Farkas would follow me around and whenever he got near enough, the dialogue window would pop up, forcing me to talk to him. I think it stopped whenever I went far enough away from Jorvvaskr, and I think it stopped altogether after a long period of time.

Phate

you can't see me!
i've run into this as well.. no other problems with the companions otherwise..
but this guy is gonna get whacked..

of course, i'm going to look around more and see what else people have to say but, barring all else (like if i need him later), a dark corner, and a timely strike may be in order..

Neriad13

Premium Member
I met Torvar in the Rift Imperial Camp once. However, whenever I tried to talk to him, he said "Shush, I'm trying to watch this." As the character I was playing had nothing whatsoever to do with Jorrvaskr, he was still stuck in the dialogue you get when you first enter the building and see Athis and Njada fighting.

Maybe the reason to why the dialogue keeps opening up for you guys is because the NPCs following you around is registered in the game as city guards, and are apprehending you for any crimes you've committed? I got Hadvar chasing me around with his sword out after the Battle of Whiterun. I'm a thief and he's a soldier, but unlike Aela, Farkas, or Vilkas, I don't think he has that sort of dialogue like the city guards that open up when they approach you (like that "By order of the Jarl...")

No, he isn't, but the game recognizes him as a guard. Have you ever stolen anything from Jorrvaskr and had someone witness it? Aela caught me, and I received a bounty in Jorrvaskr (not in Whiterun hold, as you would usually get). I talked to Vilkas afterwards and he demanded I pay the fine. This was what I meant. Some members of the Companions act like city guards in the sense that they will apprehend you for any crimes you may have committed. And then the game glitches out and they will follow you around. This is a common bug, and one way you can fix this is to perhaps check if you have a bounty on you.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
All Companions that are members of The Circle have generic GuardFaction. If you have a bounty for any Hold in Skyrim and they are in your cell they will harrass you until you have paid off all your bounties. Because they don't have any of the guard dialogues for crimes it confuses most players when they begin to act this way. Because the Companions are the only guild NPCs that actually travel the roads of Skyrim independently of you, it's possible for you to encounter them on the roads while you have a bounty which will create the impression that they are seeking you out.

Serebro Moniker

He who moves it moves it
To stop Vilkas from following you, clear your Eastmarch bounty. Farkas, I don't know. Never had it happen with anybody else.

redrkt

Premium Member
thing is there is nothing in the dialogue about any of that, he just showed up and helped me kill a couple of draugr and then would not stop talking to me and only chat option was asking him why he joined the companions

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
Right. What I'd imagine is probably the reason they have GuardFaction is so that they will fight e.g. dragons that show up as the guards do, but yeah. This glitch probably acts the same way as how Delphine will attack you at the Solitude stables if you have a bounty in Whiterun (Delphine being in CrimeFactionWhiterun).

My guess on Hadvar's behavior is that Hadvar has CrimeFactionImperial, you killed an Imperial soldier in friendly fire during the battle and obviously there were witnesses, and when battle mode terminated Hadvar's AI told him to try to "arrest" you even though he can't. CrimeFactionImperial is relatively rare, only the various legates seem to have it as well as the Hjaalmarch guards for some reason (this last one is probably what caused Hrisskar III problems in his recent visit to Morthal).

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
thing is there is nothing in the dialogue about any of that, he just showed up and helped me kill a couple of draugr and then would not stop talking to me and only chat option was asking him why he joined the companions
As I stated before, they don't have the guard dialogues. If Farkas is approaching you with his weapon drawn or draws it out it's because he is simulating the physical action of a guard when a guard approaches you to arrest you. Since he doesn't have the dialogues the dialogue window will open but all you will see are his normal dialogue options. Clear your bounties and he will leave you alone.