Hard to play as typical playstyle

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I have had Skyrim for almost a year and I have yet to beat the main quest line because I always start over. The farthest I have gotten was completing Alduin's Wall as a level 29 Dark Elf Nightblade. I have not gotten that far since. Anyway, there is one thing I have noticed when I play this game. I have noticed that I can't play as my usual playstyle that I play in other games. I am the type of player that loves to go through a game beating people's faces in. I hate playing a sneaky character but when I play Skyrim, I seem to have more fun being sneaky instead of running around beating people's faces in. I was wondering if anyone else experiences this when playing Skyrim.

To sum up my question: Do you have problems playing as your typical playstyle from other similar games when you play Skyrim?

I can't really say I have a personal preference for play style. I make a character, play them a bit to get a feel for them, and then the character develops a fighting style and that's what I go with. My absolute favorite for Skyrim is a female Nord who likes to use a one handed sword and a healing spell in her off hand. That way she can kick Imperial A** and heal her Stormcloak buddies at the same time. My second favorite is a Bosmer archer that takes great pleasure in bringing down her enemies before they ever know she's there. I played Oblivion the same way.

I do seem to have a preference for magic users in other RPGs, but I still like to leave it up to whatever character I'm playing.

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
I prefer more of a Nightblade style character in Skyrim. Sneak, Archery, 1H, LA, Smithing are my usual skills. Mage style characters always frustrate me. Too many levels go towards reducing spell casting costs. I even tried a "pure" mage, that didn't last too long. My main character, level 53 now, is a Nord, that made HA legendary to go to LA, with Archery, 1H, and block. So much more enjoyable. Even more so than the Conjuration spellblade that I have at level 28.

Mage style characters always frustrate me. Too many levels go towards reducing spell casting costs. I even tried a "pure" mage, that didn't last too long

My very first character in Oblivion was a pure mage. I spent hours leveling her: casting light spells, summoning scamps just to kill them with destruction magic, standing in the brazier so I could continuously heal myself. I finally got her to level 15 or so and my husband saved over my game :sadface:

The only game I play a mage in is Dragon Age Origins, and that's as an arcane warrior, I tend to like dual wielding rogues or warriors. Although I do get a kick seeing enemies on fire :D

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
You can go through the whole thing bashing peoples' heads in if you want to. In fact, Skyrim seems built for that over other play styles. So if level 29 is the longest you've played, it seems like you're just leaving most of the game untouched. Why is that? My guess is you don't set enough goals in Skyrim.

Lucid

I perfer elven stealth-archers in almost every game type, that includes the Elder Scrolls games. But some of my favourite Skyrim characters have been head bashers.

True play style in this game is a lot different than it is in oblivion, but it usually is even in games from the same series, but you tend to get used to it after a while, having played either mmorpg's or single player games since '96 , I try to do as much research as I can before I buy a game.

zuko514

my go to character has been the same in ever elder scroll game. stealthy archer with conjuration. In oblivion it was much easier since there is no need for the quite casting perk.

I have had Skyrim for almost a year and I have yet to beat the main quest line because I always start over. The farthest I have gotten was completing Alduin's Wall as a level 29 Dark Elf Nightblade. I have not gotten that far since. Anyway, there is one thing I have noticed when I play this game. I have noticed that I can't play as my usual playstyle that I play in other games. I am the type of player that loves to go through a game beating people's faces in. I hate playing a sneaky character but when I play Skyrim, I seem to have more fun being sneaky instead of running around beating people's faces in. I was wondering if anyone else experiences this when playing Skyrim.

To sum up my question: Do you have problems playing as your typical playstyle from other similar games when you play Skyrim?
No because my typical playstyle is mage, which is a challenge in skyrim. That makes it fun skyrim is tailored towards barbarian type warriors they excel in skyrim with little effort which to me makes it boring

Aren Direfrost... Witchhunter

Having played on legendary, I have come the conclusion playing a one-handed and light armor would not be the way to go, looks like stealthy or 2h would the way to go and probably heavy armor if you do melee. Mage class would be hard for the first few levels, since you only do 1/4 damage and they do 4x damage. Unless you get barbas, which is why they probably put those semi-immortals in the game

sticky runes

Sneaking is a lot of fun in this game. It works well with archery so you can pick enemies off from afar before they detect you, or you can sneak right up to people and stab them or pick their pockets. Or if you're a mage, you can stay in the shadows and cast fury spells to make enemies attack each other.

I normally do prefer sneaking to at least whittle down enemy numbers before rushing ahead to take enemies face to face. My latest character likes to use stealth against magic using enemies because he's not fond of people who use magical powers to win in a fight. But when it comes to fighting bandits and enemy forsworn, he will charge right in and give them the honor of a real fight.