• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

nacman99

hey guys i started thinking that it be cool that the tech in tamriel would advance with every new game and that you could have new weapons like guns. i dont mean like any modern stuff, just very simple old guns (mavy dwarven). like bows are weak but fast, crossbows are strong but slow, and guns are very strong but very slow.

so what do you guys think, that it would be cool or that im nuts?

hey guys i started thinking that it be cool that the tech in tamriel would advance with every new game and that you could have new weapons like guns. i dont mean like any modern stuff, just very simple old guns (mavy dwarven). like bows are weak but fast, crossbows are strong but slow, and guns are very strong but very slow.

so what do you guys think, that it would be cool or that im nuts?
I'm sorry to say this, but this is the most bat-pl*ps retarded thing I've read all night. A gun has no place in a fantasy world. That is why we have swords, armor and bows. That is also why we do NOT have guns, electricity and other modern "needs". /thread

Clau

The Fateless One
You're not alone on that one. It has been discussed in various The Next TES threads. I think Vanilla flintlock pistols that a member had suggested.

You're not alone on that one. It has been discussed in various The Next TES threads. What I would like are vanilla flintlock pistols.

Imagine a pistol formed using Daedra heart.
*facepalm* This same thing happens on the Minecraft Forums all the time. You can't add modern, or early modern elements to a fantasy game. You don't see dragons in Call of Duty. You don't see guns in The Elder Scrolls. That is how it works, and that is how it should be.

Clau

The Fateless One
*facepalm* This same thing happens on the Minecraft Forums all the time. You can't add modern, or early modern elements to a fantasy game. You don't see dragons in Call of Duty. You don't see guns in The Elder Scrolls. That is how it works, and that is how it should be.

Point taken. I take it that you would like the theme of purity on what TES has for its combat element. Thank the divines that the guys in NEXUS are more open minded.

Point taken. I take it that you would like the theme of purity on what TES has for its combat element. Thank the divines that the guys in NEXUS are more open minded.
Guns are not lore friendly at all. It wouldn't make any sense for a world to have guns appear out of nowhere. Dwemer guns? Why were these not found before? Man/mer guns, how much variation can you put on a gun before it turns OP? There are no good ways to go about it, and if there were a good way to implement it, very few people would enjoy it.

Clau

The Fateless One
Guns are not lore friendly at all. It wouldn't make any sense for a world to have guns appear out of nowhere. Dwemer guns? Why were these not found before? Man/mer guns, how much variation can you put on a gun before it turns OP? There are no good ways to go about it, and if there were a good way to implement it, very few people would enjoy it.

Respecting your preference aside for TES (and with good reason), I remember a discussion in NEXUS wherein a project was having a Daedric artifact (resembling a flintlock rifle) that has a single shot that is a one shot kill. After that shot, the item itself is useless; you can't reload it and it is worth 0 in Septims.

Respecting your preference aside for TES (and with good reason), I remember a discussion in NEXUS wherein a project was having a Daedric artifact (resembling a flintlock rifle) that has a single shot that is a one shot kill. After that shot, the item itself is useless; you can't reload it and it is worth 0 in Septims.
For a mod, I can't say I would use it. A one-hit-kill super weapon, even if it can only shoot once, seems too overpowered. But whatever, my stance on guns is the same. I'll check here tomorrow to see how this thread turns out.

Clau

The Fateless One
For a mod, I can't say I would use it. A one-hit-kill super weapon, even if it can only shoot once, seems too overpowered. But whatever, my stance on guns is the same. I'll check here tomorrow to see how this thread turns out.

And I respect that. For my part, I was hoping for any new weapons for combat in the future; no matter what adaptation they come from. Be it early guns. I'm not expecting any modern arsenal what the armed forces are using today.

It's just that I am looking forward to Dawnguard and the crossbow.

Greatsword

I think guns could possibly work if they did it right. No AK-47 type things mind you but something similar to the hidden pistol in Assassin's Creed maybe? They'd have to make it like it was the first "gun" ever invented, really slow, ages to reload, can't carry much ammunition etc. I don't think they will do it and don't really want it to happen either but I still think it's a possibility.

Drewski

Relaxing on Revis Island, with Revis and Holmes :(
The early guns were almost exclusively used en masse, and were utterly impractical to be used solo.They were more like static emplacements. Even with advances in the 18th Century, the Longbow still outclassed the musket, for range, reload and accuracy. The musket only rose in popularity, because it was cheap and easy to train men in its use, whereas a bowman needed a lifetime of training.
An 18th C musket was only vaguely accurate to about 50yds; a flintlock pistol was point blank and that's it. It was only with the advent of Rifling (c.1800) that reasonable accuracies became achievable...

So no, guns just wouldn't fit into Skyrim, unless you want to put it in the Napoleonic Era...

I am not sure what benefit guns would bring to the game. Crossbows were historically as dangerous as early guns, and faster to reload! Unless you are willing to allow gun technology to develop well beyond the initial introduction, then I don't see any value, other than eye candy.
I don't have any kneejerk problem mixing technology with fantasy, there are several good books that do so, but I would rather see further work on this series concentrate on plot development.

Guns in fantasy work in some games. WOW for example and I thought they were fun in Fable 2. I don't see them in the TES universe tho.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
In a world where you can learn to shoot fire and lighting from your fingertips, the impetus to develop firearms just isn't there. Being able to direct a lightning bolt to instantly and accurately strike a target would be effective even by the standards of modern guns.

There's no apparatus to haul around and maintain, it requires no ammunition, it's deadly at tremendous range and is unaffected by wind speed velocity.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts