• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

jarif

i asked my dad if i could a computer and he said yes, my price is £500 - £650, intel 7 is too expenses so im getting intel core i5. I understand its good but how good is i5? also is 2gb graphics card good?

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
i asked my dad if i could a computer and he said yes, my price is £500 - £650, intel 7 is too expenses so im getting intel core i5. I understand its good but how good is i5? also is 2gb graphics card good?

i5 is good, its not much worse and it will easily play most games.

2gb graphics card is good as well, but it depends on if its AMD/Intel and what the video card is itself

Sean

lost somewhere

i5s are good, that's what (i5-3450) I have been using, and it has been great, and AMD is a good GPU brand.
You should also get a separate cooling unit besides the stock one with the CPU, and I would say the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is a good budget one.

Also, this is a good site to get your computer together, and just so you can have an example, this is my build, but it made back in November so a bit outdated, and it was a budget build ($750).

Edit:

Just to add a bit of what this build can do, I'll give some examples.
My computer can play these games on these settings:

-Fallout New Vegas - Ultra+ (Ultra with MANY graphic improvement mods)
-Skyrim - Ultra+ (Ultra with A FEW graphic improvement mods)
-Metro 2033 - Ultra
-Bioshock Infinite - Ultra
-Assassin's Creed Revelations - Ultra (tweaked)
-Assassin's Creed 3 - Ultra
-Crysis 3 - Mid+ (Medium setting combined with high settings)

and if I upped the GPU to something with maybe 2gb, then everything would be so much better.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
I would go with a AMD GPU rather then Nvidia. They are the best mid-range cards by far. Budget GPUs that get the same job done.

The CPU is not as important, the I5 will suffice for sure. Gaming is generally more GPU-dependent anyways.

You don't necessarily need a separate cooling unit, it would depend on your parts however. Myself, don't need one, my budget case I got for 50 bucks that comes with 3 fans already in it. Quiet as all fluff and my temps even on a high load don't go above 50'C.

Sean

lost somewhere
I would go with a AMD GPU rather then Nvidia. They are the best mid-range cards by far. Budget GPUs that get the same job done.

The CPU is not as important, the I5 will suffice for sure. Gaming is generally more GPU-dependent anyways.

You don't necessarily need a separate cooling unit, it would depend on your parts however. Myself, don't need one, my budget case I got for 50 bucks that comes with 3 fans already in it. Quiet as all fluff and my temps even on a high load don't go above 50'C.

There are a few games that may push the CPU to its limits, I have had mine actually force a shut down because it was in the upper 80s C, so it doesn't hurt to get a separate heatsink other than the stock one, and for $40 it isn't a bad price.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
There are a few games that may push the CPU to its limits, I have had mine actually force a shut down because it was in the upper 80s C, so it doesn't hurt to get a separate heatsink other than the stock one, and for $40 it isn't a bad price.

Nah there definitely is games, but generally I mean. I can name a few that use more CPU than GPU that I play, mostly strategy games where there is a lot of plops going on at once. But most of the popular games, like Skyrim for example, use substantially more GPU. That's what I'm gettin at.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but 40 dollars could mean the different between a decent GPU and a good GPU. But then again anything could happen regarding heat, you could get the exact build as me and have a horrible heating problem. PC's are incredibly inconsistent. Oh the joys of PC gaming .... :p

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/custom/intel-sandy-bridge/step1.html
is this good?
is 350w Power supply good? Does that mean it will use a lot of electricity?

whats your budget?

I'd say 350w is good for what you have there, but I would go 450 just to be safe but I would also look to get a different psu (possibly more expensive) because you don't want to rely on a no name PSU. when I was researching for my own desktop, I learned the PSU is most likely the part that is going to fail and/or could ruin your entire computer so pay the little extra and get a name brand known for quality

jarif

whats your budget?

I'd say 350w is good for what you have there, but I would go 450 just to be safe but I would also look to get a different psu (possibly more expensive) because you don't want to rely on a no name PSU. when I was researching for my own desktop, I learned the PSU is most likely the part that is going to fail and/or could ruin your entire computer so pay the little extra and get a name brand known for quality

my budget 500 - 600 and thanks for the tip :)

Halkin

pzzzztt
looks pretty solid but a 640 is an entry level card, i'd be looking at 670 minimum. also if the cash is there i'd get a xonar dg sound card (like £20.00 at most for the basic)

utael

honestly a basic on board soundcard is all you need. The audio quality doesn't change (I work the entertainment industry and sound quality is top priority there) the $20 could be put towards better speakers rather than the card itself.

jarif

honestly a basic on board soundcard is all you need. The audio quality doesn't change (I work the entertainment industry and sound quality is top priority there) the $20 could be put towards better speakers rather than the card itself.

i already have speakers and actually i have completely changed my build to run Ultra games

Computer Case - Black ATX Tower Case
CPU - AMD A8 5600K Black Edition X4 (4 x 3.6 GHz) - Radeon HD 7560D GPU
CPU Heatsink - AMD Heatsink & Fan
Memory2 GB 1333MHz (1x2GB) - (DDR3)
Graphics CardNVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 - 2 GB - (GAINWARD) - (PCI-E) (FREE Metro Last Light Game)
Motherboard -Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-UP4 (AMD A85X) - VGA/DVI/HDMI/DP
Sound Card - Motherboard Integrated HD Sound
Power SupplyCorsair 650W PSU - Low Noise
Monitor - 23.6"inches HD LED Widescreen Monitor - Black - 5ms - 1920x1080 - VGA/HDMI
Keyboard - Standard Slim Keyboard (PS/2)

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
i already have speakers and actually i have completely changed my build to run Ultra games

Computer Case - Black ATX Tower Case
CPU - AMD A8 5600K Black Edition X4 (4 x 3.6 GHz) - Radeon HD 7560D GPU
CPU Heatsink - AMD Heatsink & Fan
Memory2 GB 1333MHz (1x2GB) - (DDR3)
Graphics CardNVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 - 2 GB - (GAINWARD) - (PCI-E) (FREE Metro Last Light Game)
Motherboard -Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-UP4 (AMD A85X) - VGA/DVI/HDMI/DP
Sound Card - Motherboard Integrated HD Sound
Power SupplyCorsair 650W PSU - Low Noise
Monitor - 23.6"inches HD LED Widescreen Monitor - Black - 5ms - 1920x1080 - VGA/HDMI
Keyboard - Standard Slim Keyboard (PS/2)

Nah a soundcard isn't speakers, its what the speakers get the sound from. Don't worry, you don't need one. Like the other guy said they really don't make that much of a difference unless you buy the really expensive (100+). I don't have one and its perfectly fine, as long as you get a decent motherboard, which it seems you have a good one there.

Your list is pretty good, I'd say, the only thing I would change is the CPU and the GPU. Its really a matter of preference, but Ive heard that a lot of games (such as GTA for example) have troubles being compatible with AMD processors. I also found out that Intel sells more "meaty" processors, and even though AMD may say it has more power, its more skeleton-like and doesn't fare as well as even an Intel one with less power. Some people swear by AMD though.

I would upgrade the GPU as well, I have a 7870 and it was 240 (Canadian) which is the best mid-range card on the market. I would go with AMD GPUs simply because for the lower end its better, Nvidia is more expensive and really doesn't make a difference until the higher-end GPUs they have.

EDIT: I would also upgrade your RAM. You only have 2 gbs there. Games nowadays take that and more, so I'd be looking to go to at least 4gbs. I personally have 8 and it is overkill but I like to have options. I recommend Corsair for your RAM, they based their company off it, very high quality.

As well as your PSU, Corsair is a good company but I also learned that they contract another company to make their bigger wattage PSUs. That company is SeaSonic. This PSU here is the exact I have for the same price and its modular. (Which means the wires come detached so its way more organized and way easier to put together; you don't have a fluffton of wires all over the place. Trust me, even with a modular one its still a bitch, I can't imagine how hard it would be with one that isn't

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095)

jarif

I need help with my graphic card, Crookskin suggests that I should get 7870 2GB which looks beast which increases my price to £576.92 which I'm willing to try but I want to stay below £555 to avoid the slightest chance of my dad getting annoyed. (Bummer how this Laptop costs £500 but this could be £50+ more lol) so heres my options
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 - 2 GB - £507.32
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti - 2 GB - (ZOTAC) - (PCI-E) (FREE £50 In-Game Credit) £522.92
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST - 2 GB - (ZOTAC) - (PCI-E) (FREE £50 In-Game Credit) £551.72
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 - 2 GB - (GAINWARD) - (PCI-E) (FREE Tom Clancys Spinter Cell Blacklist Game) £566.12 (I am leaning to this)
  • ATI Radeon HD 7850 - 2 GB - (XFX) - (PCI-E) (FREE BIOSHOCK INFINITE GAME) £563.72
  • ATI Radeon HD 7870 - 2 GB - (XFX) - (PCI-E) (FREE BIOSHOCK INFINITE GAME) (as crookskin suggests) £576.92
I want to stay below £570 :/ and atleast £550 (I really want to stay). I want the best cheapest one, even with the lowest graphics card (GTX 650), it is already 100 better with my laptop but I want to go more than £507.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts