Getting Your Way: A Guide To Cussing People Out in Tamriel

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
So, I was pleased to find out that I'm not the only writer who has been coming up with the problem of how to cuss someone out and still keep it lore-friendly. There are some ways to take English curses and make them work (i.e. turning "God damnit" into "Gods damnit"), but if you want something harder, what would it be? So this is the thread where you can post anything that you've found online or heard in the games to help out people in their writing.

Here's a couple that I found:

S'wit
Fetcher

Both I've heard used from characters when they were talking about people they severely disliked. I always viewed it as calling someone an asshole, but does anyone know more?

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
"Ysmir's beard" has always been a favorite of mine. I see it as a "Holy pl*ps!" type of curse.

"Oblivion" is often used as part of a curse, where "hell" would be used in real-world curses. For example, "What in Oblivion is that?" or "To Oblivion with you!"

Captain Nagisus

Jake the Dog!
When RPing I always come up with my own Argonian-sounding insults, eg disgrace-upon-Sithis. There always milk drinker though!

That's all the help I can really give that's strictly TES, but fluffing your thumb through your front teeth was s medieval insult!

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
When RPing I always come up with my own Argonian-sounding insults, eg disgrace-upon-Sithis. There always milk drinker though!

That's all the help I can really give that's strictly TES, but f***ing your thumb through your front teeth was s medieval insult!
So, would it be safe to say then that curse words are race-based? Like, their are unique to within each little sub-society?

Captain Nagisus

Jake the Dog!
So, would it be safe to say then that curse words are race-based? Like, their are unique to within each little sub-society?

Probably. I mean, Nords have a strong alcohol culture, so milk drinker is a serious insult. Tamrielic races all have strong religious views, so base insults off their gods and beliefs. Argonians could mention the Hist in insults, Khajiit could mention the moons (Masser is the big red one, Secunda is the small white one), High Elves could mention Auriel.

Morgan

That's all the help I can really give that's strictly TES, but f***ing your thumb through your front teeth was a medieval insult!

"I will bite my thumb at them;
which is a disgrace to them, if they bear it."

"Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?"

"I do bite my thumb, sir."

"Do you bite your thumb at US, sir?"

Bad enough to kill over . . . in fair Verona at least.

Captain Nagisus

Jake the Dog!

Bad enough to kill over . . . in fair Verona at least.

Wait, I type flicking, not the F word...

ANU TAKE THIS AUTOCORRECT

Moris

I've always been fond of Olfrid Battle-Born's description of the Greymanes as: uncivilized pelt-wearing axe draggers.

Neriad13

Premium Member
Here's a couple that I found:

S'wit
Fetcher

Both I've heard used from characters when they were talking about people they severely disliked. I always viewed it as calling someone an asshole, but does anyone know more?

S'wit is actually a contraction of "Slack Wit." As for fetcher, I couldn't find where it had originated, but I did find a pretty good Urban Dictionary page on it.

San Abrusco

Watching you, all day, every day.
I've taken to saying, "Buck-toothed, cross-eyed, son of an Ayleid whore!"

That is, has always been, and will always be my favorite insult.

Morgan said:

Shakespeare was a fetching genius.

Moris

fetching

 ​
[fech-ing]
adjective
charming; captivating.
Origin:
1875–80; fetch + -ing2

Related forms
fetch·ing·ly, adverb.
un·fetch·ing, adjective.

fetch

1 [fech]
verb (used with object)
to go and bring back; return with; get: to go up a hill to fetch a pail of water.
to cause to come; bring: to fetch a doctor.
to sell for or bring (a price, financial return, etc.): The horse fetched $50 more than it cost.
Informal. to charm; captivate: Her beauty fetched the coldest hearts.
to take (a breath).
verb (used without object)
to go and bring things.
Chiefly Nautical. to move or maneuver.
Hunting. to retrieve game (often used as a command to a dog).
to go by an indirect route; circle (often followed by around or about ): We fetched around through the outer suburbs.
noun
the act of fetching.
the distance of fetching: a long fetch.
Oceanography.
a.
an area where ocean waves are being generated by the wind.
b.
the length of such an area.
the reach or stretch of a thing.
a trick; dodge.
Verb phrases
fetch about, Nautical. (of a sailing vessel) to come onto a new tack.
fetch up,
a.
Informal. to arrive or stop.
b.
Older Use. to raise (children); bring up: She had to fetch up her younger sisters.
c.
Nautical. (of a vessel) to come to a halt, as by lowering an anchor or running aground; bring up.
Idioms
fetch and carry, to perform menial tasks.
Origin:
before 1000; Middle English fecchen, Old English fecc(e)an, variant of fetian to fetch (compare Middle English feten, fetten, British dialect fet; akin to Old English -fat in sīthfat journey, German fassen to grasp)

Related forms
fetch·er, noun.

Collins
World English Dictionary
fetching (ˈfɛtʃɪŋ)

adj
1. attractively befitting: a fetching hat
2. charming: a fetching personality

'fetchingly

Etymonline
Word Origin & History

fetching
1580s, "crafty, scheming," prp. adj. from fetch. The sense of "alluring, fascinating" is by 1880.

---

The last lines are probably the origin of the word "fetcher" as an insult, implying that one is a schemer and untrustworthy. Possibly also, though, the idea of "fetcher" as one who performs menial tasks (fetching and carrying).

Anwrise888

A very naughty naughty kinky mage....
What about some....

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts