Game too easy? Try a character with no smithing or enchanting!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Couthful

Tamriel Adventurer
Not sure what the fuss is all about in this thread, and the judgmental tone. What makes the game so cool is the variety of ways through it.

It's a single-player game -- worrying about how others are playing it is weird.
The problem is some people max out Smithing, Enchanting, and Alchemy without knowing it will make them god like and allow them to one hit everything, including dragons, and now they are bored with 20+ wasted perks. I expect many players are used to MMOs where you must use crafting or you're weak and at times cannot advance in quests or dungeons, in Skyrim this is not the case.

Being on this forums about 2.5 months I can say several posts have been created asking why the game is so simple and I expect those posts will continue to be created as long as the game doesn't rescale based on if you have crafting skills or not.

Oren74

The problem is some people max out Smithing, Enchanting, and Alchemy without knowing it will make them god like and allow them to one hit everything, including dragons, and now they are bored with 20+ wasted perks. I expect many players are used to MMOs where you must use crafting or you're weak and at times cannot advance in quests or dungeons, in Skyrim this is not the case.

Being on this forums about 2.5 months I can say several posts have been created asking why the game is so simple and I expect those posts will continue to be created as long as the game doesn't rescale based on if you have crafting skills or not.

Good thought, Like an "effective level" based on your weapon dam, armor, and level...

BSE

I'm new here and decided this would be my first post. Also, I didn't get the game until xmas, so Im still on my first character.

Anyway, I have discovered some of the grinding secrets throughout the game by accident, and as soon as I did, I stopped using them (i.e. smithing iron daggers, soul trapping dead bodies, etc.). I prefer to level my skills naturally, as I feel the grinding/glitching takes away from the experience. Of course, as a pure spell-casting mage (non-enchanting) character, I now only use smithing to make jewelry and sell it, since I dont really need weapons or armor anymore. Same with alchemy...selling potions to make money, but only with ingredients I happen upon.

LeAmericain

In Fear and Faith
This is a great idea..On my nord warrior, once I smithed and enchanted Daedric Armor and nothing could even hurt me anymore, I no longer got excited finding new armor because I knew it would never be better than the armor I have. This will definitely be more challenging and add to the excitement. Plus it will save me a lot of time spent crafting iron daggers :p

Straumgald

I figured out by like my 6th character that no matter what skills you use or don't use or what your playstyle is, all characters reach what I call Critical Mass. Once you start getting most of the Perks you want, and your skills in those trees get high enough, the game just becomes easy. It would be cool if you could level SLOWER even. Maybe max out one tree by like level 15, where its actually useful and powerful still.
By the time you get enchanting maxed out, the dual enchantments are kind of useless, because your character is already overpowered. The same thing goes with master spells, by the time I get to 90 in a skill and get my master level spells, I was already killing everything too easily with Adept level spells.

Even without tradeskills, any character will still hit that critical mass where the game becomes too easy.
I think the problem for me at least is I am too used to MMOs. You work on those base levels and perks to make your character powerful enough to handle the endgame. Without tradeskills or maxed skill trees your character just can't cut it. Skyrim has no ENDGAME. You spend all this time improving your character and maxing out stats/perks and its over. Its not fun doing randomly generating quests when you've killed the game boss and completed all the actual quest chains.

Vraek

Sure, after a while things get easy, but if you want a challenge, playing some kind of lightly armoured character with no smithing etc can be kinda fun. I'm currently playing a dark elf assassin (without archery) on master, only using weapons I can find. Mehrune's Razor and Blade of Woe are basically as good as you're gonna get :L

Gyllenhall

Sure, after a while things get easy, but if you want a challenge, playing some kind of lightly armoured character with no smithing etc can be kinda fun. I'm currently playing a dark elf assassin (without archery) on master, only using weapons I can find. Mehrune's Razor and Blade of Woe are basically as good as you're gonna get :L

this is me, except i use archery and illusion magic... no smithing, enchanting or alchemy and ive gotten bored because the game has gotten too easy.

Straumgald

Yah I made two sneaky assassin type characters, one 65, one 58. Around level 30 everything dies before it can even melee you. Both of them are using dropped weapons/armor. Also as you can see in my signature, I have a level 46 conjurer. By mid 20's when I got Dremora Lord he could kill anything. No destruction spells, bound sword only, uses heavy armor but only 2 points in smithing.

Kuurus

Everything becomes easy with familiarity and a well built character. I started a stealth/illusion archer. I am playing him on Master difficulty from the start. I have him up to level 35 and have only put perks into Sneak, Illusion, Archery and 1H. I have not crafted a single thing. No smithing, no enchanting, no alchemy.

However, once his skills advanced and the perks in those 4 trees started to fill out, everything is pretty easy again. The only difficulty was when he faced enemies that were too high a level for fury or calm to affect them. Perks in the illusion tree took care of that. The only difficult encounters now are dragons as they are immune to Illusion. I kite them to guards or other NPCs like giants for assistance.

I really wish Illusion type spells had been coded with a chance to work, relative to level, with a floor of 5% and a cap of 95% chance of success. It would make for far more dynamic and interesting encounters. The current implementation of works 100% or 0% depending on level, makes for pretty boring and predictable results.

Gorzash

Battle-Jaded Orc
Roleplaying is a fantastic way to keep things fresh and challenging in this game; after all, it is an RPG. :) All but one of my characters have never touched a blacksmith's forge because very few people in reality (in Skyrim's time setting) did operate a forge. The same goes for Enchanting - even though nothing represents it in real life: I have one character that has Enchanting skills.

Another way to really make Skyrim more challenging via RP is to limit your Level to 25-35. That not only defines your character from an RP perspective, but it also makes you think twice about what Skills to increase and where to invest those precious Perks.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts