Form over Function... Armour

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
I love my Thieves Guild armour. It looks the best for my Character. But ive been using my Ancient Shrouded for most of the game simply for its combat buffs. Now i was thinking last night, My Ebony Dagger is now above 50 damage. Even WITHOUT my Ancient Shrouded gloves im still getting x15 damage with backstab. That's got to be at least 750 damage i can do with my dagger without doing a power attack which would yield me even more. I still get muffle from the TG boots, id find the extra carrying capacity the TG armour gives me of more benefit than the poison resistance the Ancient Shrouded gives me. So i was thinking of going back to full TG armour and forgoing the 30x backstab i get from the shrouded armour. And due to a glitch i can still wear my Ancient Shrouded Cowl and simply stack my TG cowl over the top of it! that was i still get +35% extra bow damage yet still retain the TG cowl! Yay for glitches! I'm so looking forward to NOT looking like im wearing a black spandex suit with some red leather patches... looks a bit kinky to me ;)

Does anyone else wear armour simply for looks over something more functional?

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
This is one reason I use the restoration potion glitch. I can max out a pair of boots or bracers and wear pretty much whatever else I want.

Black-Tongue

Prey approaches...
Yeah I usually just wear what I feel fits my character most. I don't like the DB armor at all in this game. Theives guild armor, especially the master set, is my favorite.

My mage just wears robes. I really need some new robes and hoods though. They could have done some more with the clothing in the game.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
^ Cant wait to get the guild masters armour, that's all i will wear!. I'm just waiting for a bit as i want to get the top tier Nightingale gear and Chillrend. So at least lv. 42 before i can finish the TG questline.

ShadowMage

Article Writer
Nightingale is, IMO, the coolest light armor in the game. So even though the Ancient DB and dragonscale beat nightingale, I still wear it.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I, too, prefer the Thieves Guild armor over anything else mainly for its look. It looks like something I would actually wear! I usually use the Nightinggale gloves and boots, though, because I love their buffs, and they look fine with Thieves Guild armor.

I was highly disappointed in the Guild Master armor, however. It's just too black, and too contrasty. By the time I got it, my levels were high enough that I didn't really need the extra bonuses it gave, so I switched back to plain Thieves Guild gear.

Golgo_SPB

I usually wear whats useful or make it, but when I had my assassin type character I used whatever unique light armor I could get as a challenge to myself. I believe I had volsung, nightingale armor, ancient shrouded gloves, thieves guild boots (I wanted to get linwe's boots but never got to it), nightweaver's band, and gaulder amulet. sadly I accidentally saved over him

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
Question unrelated to the topic, Why can you disenchant all of Linwe's gear but then cannot use the enchatments? seems very silly to me?

Orlik

In my most recent game I've been playing a Nightblade who usually wears a standard miner's shirt, the darker red tavern apron, or master robes of illusion. For shoes it's always shrouded shoes and occasionally I rock an Alik'r hood. And I have never had a character look cooler. In the beginning I wore the shrouded armor until I realized that wearing clothing not only looks cooler but adds a little bit of challenge.

Sevrin

There are a variety of player archetypes in RPG games (both tabletop and video game). The archetype I tend to fit most is called a number of things: "Character Actor", "Method Actor", "The Roleplayer"...Which is to say, function can kindly go screw itself if it doesn't fit the form for my character. I don't play to optimize stats, I play for the role. I play for fun. And personally, if you play an RPG focused on stats and function all the time, I think you're doing it wrong.

Function can be useful. But form is preferable.

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
In Skyrim function may be more important early in the game for that extra survival edge, but later on form wins out, IMO. My previous Nord warrior was all decked out in enchanted Daedric armor, helmet and all, looking like the very epitome of demonic evil. Later in the game I had an epiphany: why not make him look more like the character he is supposed to be? So I went back to the crafting table and hammered up a full set of steel armor, smithed and enchanted to perfection. Even though steel is vastly inferior to daedric, the armor cap was still exceeded by a mile, so I didn't even have to sacrifice any function. End result, a proud Nord warrior who looked the part.

I suppose one could take things to the extreme and play a peasant/beggar type of character with only ragged robes, but that would be sacrificing just a little too much function for my tastes.

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
Nightingale gloves + boots, Guild Master Armor, and the Ancient Shrouded Cowl is my favorite combination. It gives me a boost to things I use, and it looks cool. I agree with everyone that's said the original Thieves Guild armor looks the best - I feel like Indiana Jones when I wear it.

ShadowMage

Article Writer
Status update: I killed a Penitus Octalus (spelling) soldier last night. Looted his armor and went to the Dawnstar Sanctuary and picked up some armor. My favorite armor combo is the Penitus Octalus armor with Ancient Shrouded gloves and boots. Still trying to find a nice looking helmet in the red and black color scheme that gives a nice sneak bonus. I don't like Cicero's hat, so are there any more armors that would look good in that scheme.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts