Features in Oblivion/Morrowind you wish were in Skyrim

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
I also miss the dodge ability. That was fun.

Akim

To be clear, people, I never said which features you'd remove. Just features from previous games that you would re-add.

It depends how you word it. Should I instead have said "I wish Skyrim had Morrowind's travel features, allowing for more in dept travel experience, as long as their more thought intensive quest system"??? Either way it gets to the same thing. You can talk about spell creation, and more in depth armor combinations, but NONE of those things are as crucially crippling to the game spirit as insta-fast-travel, and ridiculously easy arrows pointing where to go.

So, yeah, I wish Skyrim had those features.

Akim

Also, it's been awhile since I've played Morrowind or Oblivion, but I don't remember as many surprising deaths as in Skyrim. Was it more noticeable when you were dying in those games? In the heat of battle, I honestly can't tell if I'm getting hit for 1hp or by 200hp per swing, and I just won't notice my health bar until it's too late half the time. IMO there should be a noticeable difference between a measly bandit stabbing you for 1% of your health, or a master fire mage fireballing you for 50% of your health, other than just your health bar's status.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
Honestly, the one thing that I feel Bethesda seriously screwed up in skyrim is magic. Back in Oblivion, I was almost always a mage, now I can't stand to use magic, so bring back Olivion's magic system!!!!! Not just spell creation, or specific spells, no, the whole damned thing.

Orange_

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa! Watch the magic!
Also, it's been awhile since I've played Morrowind or Oblivion, but I don't remember as many surprising deaths as in Skyrim. Was it more noticeable when you were dying in those games? In the heat of battle, I honestly can't tell if I'm getting hit for 1hp or by 200hp per swing, and I just won't notice my health bar until it's too late half the time. IMO there should be a noticeable difference between a measly bandit stabbing you for 1% of your health, or a master fire mage fireballing you for 50% of your health, other than just your health bar's status.
If I remember all the time I spent in Oblivion correctly, the combat system is basically the same. I have the same problem too though, it's tough to focus on the health bar when you're watching the enemy and timing your blocks and power attacks accordingly or lining up a shot with a ranged attack. You can always pause combat at any time by opening the menu and looking at your health bar, allowing you to take a potion if necessary, but doing so kind of throws off the combat rhythm.
One of the reasons playing an assassin is appealing is not having to worry about enemies fighting back haha, but straight up melee especially can feel a little clunky at times. If I remember correctly, Oblivion wasn't any better in this regard though.
I die a lot from being engaged with a melee enemy and an archer is taking pot shots at me without me even realizing it since I'm not focused on my health bar.
And attacking a mage with a melee character is little more than bull rushing them and hoping your health and stamina hold out long enough to slap em around.

Haha, I generally just go by timing and use a "if a single enemy takes more than 20-30 seconds to kill, I probably need a potion" general rule of thumb and adapt it from there based on the type of enemy (mages like 5-10 seconds lol) and the number of enemies doing damage to me. But I get what you're saying about being frustrated when you seem to randomly get cut down in like 2 hits versus your character screaming when a wolf does like 1pt of damage. Thus the "pain" sounds don't really help like they should cause the damage could be 1pt or 300 pts.

thecelticlatino

From Morrowind-
Spears
Hand 2 Hand
Throwing Darts/Stars/Knives
Medium Armor
House Factions (they could've done it with Skyrim with the clans)

From Oblivion-
Imperial Arena

I think Skyrim's better than both Morrowind and Oblivion, but those features would've been cool

Neriad13

Premium Member
Guars. They were so cute.

The first time I saw a pack guar I squealed in joy and gazed upon its cuteness for some time before moving on. Though, to be fair, I did do the exact same thing when I first stumbled upon the huskies in Fort Dawnguard.

As for things from Morrowind that I'd want in Skyrim...I'd most strongly want the conversation options that that game gives you. Any local can be asked for directions, any person can give their opinions on anything, anyone can be bribed, taunted or complemented. I felt that the characters in Morrowind, though they didn't sleep or close their shops, were a lot closer to real people than the ones I meet in Skyrim.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts