• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Harperlarp

I love all styles but my favourite is my Battlemage setup. Heavy armour, sword and shield, destruction spells. I just run in and start fighting. Being a close range fighter my flame cloak can do serious damage while I swing my sword and block using my shield. I can take punishment because of the heavy armour and shield and I enchant the shield with magic resist and get the perk that adds 50% magic elemental resistance so dragons cower before my might! The reflexes perk in block is awesome as it slows time down if I time a block with an enemies power attack, which they do a lot it would seem. Also being a Mage I can use fire bolt for ranged attacks negating the need for a bow and arrow. I usually go for a high elf because with highborn you can launch a barrage of magic at flying dragons until they become grounded, then the sword comes out! Also being the tallest high elves run faster, jump higher, and hit harder than the other races. win.

sahqonsah

I love all styles but my favourite is my Battlemage setup. Heavy armour, sword and shield, destruction spells. I just run in and start fighting. Being a close range fighter my flame cloak can do serious damage while I swing my sword and block using my shield. I can take punishment because of the heavy armour and shield and I enchant the shield with magic resist and get the perk that adds 50% magic elemental resistance so dragons cower before my might! The reflexes perk in block is awesome as it slows time down if I time a block with an enemies power attack, which they do a lot it would seem. Also being a Mage I can use fire bolt for ranged attacks negating the need for a bow and arrow. I usually go for a high elf because with highborn you can launch a barrage of magic at flying dragons until they become grounded, then the sword comes out! Also being the tallest high elves run faster, jump higher, and hit harder than the other races. win.

I know they run faster but I don't think high elves hit harder than any race, I think all races hit with the same force wether it be orc or bosmer

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
I know they run faster but I don't think high elves hit harder than any race, I think all races hit with the same force wether it be orc or bosmer

It's like the mudcrab scaling, you see a tiny mudcrab, it walks slower and hits a lot softer than a larger mudcrab, which can go faster and dominate in combat. This is something you can go into your game and easily test if you don't believe. High Elf is 1.08 scale, Bosmer is a puny .98 scale, so they actually run slower, jump shorter, and melee softer than other characters.

For further testing, if you have a PC, you can player.setscale 10 and kill giants in 3-4 swings at level 8. Then you can player.setscale 1 and get straight up owned by a giant at level 8.

Edit: On topic, I like sword and shield combat.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
I like spells. FIRE!!! Burn! No, wait, Bows. Definitely bows. Nothing's more satisfying than killing a target well over 10 yards away. Yup... no. Sorry, I changed my mind. It's gotta be swords. Yeah baby! Hack and slash, rip and tear! No wait!!! I really love spells, though. And Bows. And Swords! Ah!! This isn't suppose to be this hard!

I got it. Just put all that together in a cauldron. Stir it up really nice, add some Nightshade and BAM you got Conjured Bows and Swords. A sweet combination of spells, swords and bows! All three of my favorite weapons rolled into one! That'll work for me. :)

Medea

The Shadow Queen
You can use spells and be virtually untouched, unless there are a lot of archers around. One-one one, I think spells are the best. With my mage build, I can easily fight even ancient dragons and win, untouched, in single combat.

For my two-handed warrior build, multiple enemies are no problem. I'll usually use a warhammer in combination with the shout that makes your melee attacks quicker, and just wade into combat, swinging away until all enemies are thrashed. But you will get hit more often with this option, and without a shield your defense is compromised.

I think the best combat style overall would be one-handed and a shield. A well-timed shield bash stops just about any melee attack and gives you two free swings on the enemy, at least. And with the right Block skill perks, you can:
A) Stop almost any type of physical/magical attack in the game from doing even the smallest amount of significant damage, just by blocking.
B) Become an offensive nightmare, simply by running over foes with your shield raised, and power attacking them while they are getting back on their feet.
C) Have a higher overall armor rating than armored characters that do not use shields (such as dual wielders or two-handed warriors).
D) Use well-timed shield bashes and power attacks to overcome even the scariest two-handed or dual wielding fighters.
E) Put extra enchantments on your shield and make yourself even more ridiculously powerful.

However, just because I think the one-handed, shielded fighter is the best style, it doesn't mean it would be for anyone else. It all depends on your own style of play, and you should stick with what you're good at, period.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
The kind of battle style where your enemies never see or hear you, and then you get a very satisfying throat slit animation. Yea:), thats me

ShadowGambit

Same as Rednek, except that I use bow.

I feel like that way of "skirmish" combat requires a lot more of tactics than the sheer force of close combat.

But everyone has his style though.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
Two Handed and Bows

Bertrum

Stop Hodoring!
Using destruction and restoration magic is my favorite, I haven't actually used anything else until I created my latest character.

Fireball, fireball, fireball, close wounds, fire ball :D

ShadowGambit

Bertrum, you should cast ice Storm first, so it slows your opponent. That way you will be able to cast more of yoour fireball before they come to melee :)

Bertrum

Stop Hodoring!
That's not a bad idea actually: Fireball, Ice storm, fireball, fireball, close wounds, fireball :D

ShadowGambit

Well, I think you will be able to cast at least 1 or 2 more fireballs, with the Ice storm effect :)

that would be fireball, Ice storm, Fireball, fireball, fireball, close wounds, fireball, fireball

Bertrum

Stop Hodoring!
The worst thing about my obsession with fireballs though, I just started a new character in preparation for Dawnguard and I'm banning myself from using destruction magic :sadface:

ShadowGambit

Then use sneak archery.

Cast Frenzy on the hostile that come at you. They will attack each other. Handpick those who still comes at you with your bow.

If too many comes, cast Pacify. Get away and cast Invisibility.

Repeat.