• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Gehenna

Dazed & Confused
Eh, I'd say for the good majority of races I don't have an opinion either way. I just ignore them as player choices. I got hooked on playing a Breton back in Oblivion, due to the stats and abilities, then sort of created a story for my character which has spilled over to my Skyrim character, making the Breton my favorite choice there as well.

I also like the Khajiit, because it's just different, and looks great in Skyrim.

I had something of a distaste for elves in Oblivion because I couldn't stand the voice actress they had. Didn't feel like going through the game doing groans and battlecries in that voice. Same with Orcs and Nords (I've mentioned I never cared for Linda Carter's voice work). This means I've just never gotten around to trying these races in Skyrim.

I don't like Argonians much. No particular reason why. They just don't appeal to me.

I suppose this is as accurate as my list will get for the time being.

Breton
Imperial
Khajiit
Altmer
Bosmer
Dunmer
Orc
Redguard
Argonian
Nord

Altmer: Tallest, longest reach, and fastest running speed. There's so much running around the map from objective to objective, to me this hidden bonus is huge. Also, the only Stat boost in the game, all else being equal, a high elf will always have higher stats.

Redguard: Adrenaline Rush is fantastic, again for running cross county. I can sprint from the North gate of Riften to Shor's Stone in under a minute, nobody else can pull this off. Also make incredibly good Spellswords, which is probably my favorite class (Counting hybrids like Nightblade.)

Dunmer: I've loved their culture since Morrowind, and with the release of Dragonborn, I've gotten re-aquainted. Their Ancestor's Wrath power is extremely helpful until you can cast Flame Cloak the hard way, and Fire Resistance really helps against certain enemies.

Nord: Powerful warriors, but not Over Powered like Orcs. Battle Cry comes in handy sometimes, while Cold Resistance helps with the Stamina drain of that element.

Breton: Used to be my favorite until I broke the game with them. Short, which means slow. The magic Resistance is the primary reason they're so popular, but honestly, the Spell Absorbtion power is what's really abusable.

Khajiit: Good sneakers, the only re-usable racial power, and some resistances. The tail annoys me.

Bosmer: Disease resistance is nice, Charm Animal is damned near useless. Good archers, otherwise not all that notable. Extremely shrimpy.

Orcs: Born Warcrafters, and the Berserker Rage is the most OP daily power in the game. Actually work great as assassins, because a Backstab is technically a melee attack.

Imperial: Forgot about them. Should tell you something about how entirely unremarcable they are. The calm power can be useful. They make great paladins with their skill bonuses.

Argonians: My main problem with them, other than the tail is that they start with NO offensive skills whatsoever. So, in the beginning, you need the Histskin power just to survive long enough to win a few fights without it. I don't care about picking pockets, and the like.

Wolfking

Dark Elf wizard. Real name Casik.
Because they disappeared - extinction. It would be kind of weird to play as a Dwemer when they are actually extinct, especially in Skyrim.
I mean why did they make them extinct in the first place.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
Nord
Redguard
Imperial

Nord becuase I fell in love with the race (in a manner of speaking)
Redguard becuase that was my first true playthrough and the Ebony Warrior is redguard.
Imperial because they are my second most played race, the calming power amuses me, and you get better rewards and loot.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
Nord
Redguard
Imperial

Nord becuase I fell in love with the race (in a manner of speaking)
Redguard becuase that was my first true playthrough and the Ebony Warrior is redguard.
Imperial because they are my second most played race, the calming power amuses me, and you get better rewards and loot.
I never touch the other races.

I mean why did they make them extinct in the first place.
Because that's the mystery they've been dangling in front of us like a carrot on a stick since the get-go. (Or at least Morrowind, when they truly became Extinct.) They were originally created as a dissappeared people, so barring another Ret-con (There's several) or traveling back in time (Another recurring theme) it would throw the entire History of 3 games out of whack.

Valin Oakthorn

Vagabond Extraordinaire
  1. Bosmer- I just love the lore behind them and archery is my favorite skill so it fits well.
  2. Altmer- I greately respect these guys for their intelligence and for forming the thalmor.
  3. Dunmer- Versed in both combat, sneak, and magic these guys are great and have cool lore.
  4. Khajiit- Amazing assassins, look awesome, dont love that they fought against the bosmer and that their drug addicts, but they are somewhat loyal to the dominion which is good.
  5. Orsimer- Very strong warriors, pretty much just like them because they are mer.

Jimes

Demoralize the enemy with assassination.
For me it goes:
Altmer
Bosmer
Red Guard
Imperial
Khajiit
Breton
Argonian
Nord
Dunmer
Orc

"To me im a really big fan of the elven races they just seem to be more wise and powerful. I especially love the Altmer they seem to be a intelligent and mighty race. I also love elven lore since they are so old and have been through so much."

I agree with that comment so much! Altmer are just so awesome! Dunmer im affraid are the only let down for me. Historically however in Mer history Altmer, Bosmer, Dunmer, Falmor and Orc are all types of Mer (Eleven Kind) However over time i think its become clear that some have come to reign over others!

Valin Oakthorn

Vagabond Extraordinaire
For me it goes:

"To me im a really big fan of the elven races they just seem to be more wise and powerful. I especially love the Altmer they seem to be a intelligent and mighty race. I also love elven lore since they are so old and have been through so much."

I agree with that comment so much! Altmer are just so awesome! Dunmer im affraid are the only let down for me. Historically however in Mer history Altmer, Bosmer, Dunmer, Falmor and Orc are all types of Mer (Eleven Kind) However over time i think its become clear that some have come to reign over others!
The force is strong with this one, good to know there are still some out there with sensibility

A Deadly Orc

Orc. They are craftsman and warriors. And have the best racial power in my opinion.
Dunmer. I personally think they are deadly with a mage/bow build.

Wolfking

Dark Elf wizard. Real name Casik.
Because that's the mystery they've been dangling in front of us like a carrot on a stick since the get-go. (Or at least Morrowind, when they truly became Extinct.) They were originally created as a dissappeared people, so barring another Ret-con (There's several) or traveling back in time (Another recurring theme) it would throw the entire History of 3 games out of whack.
well then why couldn't they just use on of the extra elven races they have lying around if they wanted mystery? I mean they have 3 elvish races, (4 if you count orcs), yet no dwarves. Seems unbalanced in the favor of elf lovers.

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
1:Breton (Generally because I always try to find a character based on my ethnic group and well, around a few months ago realised breton is contributed of half & half (Half blood) like most of the people of today have)
2:Dunmer
3:Imperial
4:Bosmer
5:Orc

Nuff said.

Rinn

Sweetroll Kleptomaniac
My first character was a Nord, simply because Skyrim's actual inhabitants are Nords. Next to that, I didn't have an idea back then what the benefits and differences of the other races were and didn't wanted to look into them as well - I was total noob to the Elder Scrolls series and Skyrim was my first Elder Scrolls game.
Right now I am playing as a Redguard with my new roleplaying character as I like the recommended skills with the race.

I don't really have a favourite race though. But if I am more familiar with all the races I wll be able to make a list, for sure.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Nord because of my most legendary character to date, Ulfvir the Highlander.

Ulfvir caused the great collapse... by skipping a pebble across the Sea of Ghosts.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts