• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

John Dubose

Article Writer
Hey guys,

This is my first thread and I just want to preface this by stating that I am not a veteran of the Elder Scrolls series and that I have probably played Skyrim for about 70 hours in total. I was just wondering what everyone's favorite play-style or what everyone's favorite character-type is.

Cheers,

John Dubose

Gunnbjorn

Formerly known as Arillious
Nord Viking-styled Warrior wielding a Battle-Axe and donning Heavy Armour.

Gunnbjorn

I've never done a character like that but I've been thinking about making one. What are your suggestions for that kind of character?

The heavy hits, the executions, it's everything I play for.

Be prepared to kill enemies within 4 swings of your weapon. Be prepared to charge into a camp and cause bandits and soldiers to be massacred one-by-one. It's as deadly as being an assassin, but faster, because your not sneaking in the background, your up close and personal, grabbing the attention of all.

It's also less complicated then mages, who have to go and pick out which spell they want to use, not to mention we don't wear dresses.

Become a Viking today. :D

John Dubose

Article Writer
The heavy hits, the executions, it's everything I play for.

Be prepared to kill enemies within 4 swings of your weapon. Be prepared to charge into a camp and cause bandits and soldiers to be massacred one-by-one. It's as deadly as being an assassin, but faster, because your not sneaking in the background, your up close and personal, grabbing the attention of all.

It's also less complicated then mages, who have to go and pick out which spell they want to use, not to mention we don't wear dresses.

Become a Viking today. :D

You make it sound so appealing I might have to try it right now haha :D

Gunnbjorn

You make it sound so appealing I might have to try it right now haha :D

This situation caused me to call upon my advertising skills for the greater good.

Be careful, because if one chooses the path of the Viking, one may never want to go back.

KaitoGhost

Sea Sponge First Mate
I've come to love greatswords. On Morrowind and Oblivion, I always used a one handed sword/shield combo, but on Skyrim, every character I've made eventually starts using greatswords. And once I start, I can't bring myself to stop. I generally wear the "medium" (the lower level heavy armor) stuff, as I find the balance between protection and weight pretty good.

My first character was an assassin type, though, favoring sneak attacks with the bow, or slitting the throats of her enemies.

Both are fun styles, and I can't really say that one is better than the other. Haven't tried a mage, yet. Not being able to craft my own custom spells kinda ruined Skyrim's magic for me.

Bertrum

Stop Hodoring!
I've always preferred playing as a mage, though I have probably tried all of the major character types during my time playing.

I'd say the second most fun play through I had was a warrior/conjurer combination which was really awesome.

Conjured swords with awesome armor, it was cool :D

John Dubose

Article Writer
I've come to love greatswords. On Morrowind and Oblivion, I always used a one handed sword/shield combo, but on Skyrim, every character I've made eventually starts using greatswords. And once I start, I can't bring myself to stop. I generally wear the "medium" (the lower level heavy armor) stuff, as I find the balance between protection and weight pretty good.

My first character was an assassin type, though, favoring sneak attacks with the bow, or slitting the throats of her enemies.

Both are fun styles, and I can't really say that one is better than the other. Haven't tried a mage, yet. Not being able to craft my own custom spells kinda ruined Skyrim's magic for me.

I have to say that I almost always revert to a sneaky archer character cause I love archery but I also use mages a lot. I've never used the great sword but I think I'm going to start sampling all these different styles.

John Dubose

Article Writer
I've always preferred playing as a mage, though I have probably tried all of the major character types during my time playing.

I'd say the second most fun play through I had was a warrior/conjurer combination which was really awesome.

Conjured swords with awesome armor, it was cool :D

I used to love conjuration mages; they were amazing. I loved the atronachs and the swords but I never tried the bow. :p I have a lot of things to try out.

Bertrum

Stop Hodoring!
Playing as a sneak with a conjured bow was pretty awesome actually, had to level illusion though to make spells silent. But that was really fun.

Though to be fair, now that I think about it I wasn't a sneak, more of a "I'm going to push you into a corner and you're going to die" character :D

I'd try and place rune spells near the enemy, fire an arrow with 3X Sneak damage + The conjuration perk that makes conjured weapons stronger and then watch them step into my fire rune :D An unseen/firey death. Marvelous.

John Dubose

Article Writer
Playing as a sneak with a conjured bow was pretty awesome actually, had to level illusion though to make spells silent. But that was really fun.

Though to be fair, now that I think about it I wasn't a sneak, more of a "I'm going to push you into a corner and you're going to die" character :D

I'd try and place rune spells near the enemy, fire an arrow with 3X Sneak damage + The conjuration perk that makes conjured weapons stronger and then watch them step into my fire rune :D An unseen/firey death. Marvelous.

That seems pretty damn awesome lol I'm gonna try that today.

Suleku

The Grey Knight
@.@ lol always loved playing almost everything on one character... :p Conjuration... Alteration... Sword.. light armor... you name it I got it XD

Nocte Aeterna

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film
I'm currently going through the game as a Death/Dark Knight (necromancer/warrior hybrid).

It's actually one of the most efficient classes I've ever played. The only setback I have is my lack of mobility with Heavy Armor, but most enemies end up dead from my zombified minions or my One-Handed weapon and shield anyhow.

John Dubose

Article Writer
I'm currently going through the game as a Death/Dark Knight (necromancer/warrior hybrid).

It's actually one of the most efficient classes I've ever played. The only setback I have is my lack of mobility with Heavy Armor, but most enemies end up dead from my zombified minions or my One-Handed weapon and shield anyhow.

Hmm interesting. What factions have you joined?

Nocte Aeterna

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film
He's currently involved with the Companions, and I'm doing the College of Winterhold next. Ethically, he'd be corrupt enough for all four, but I'm saving the Guild and the Dark Brotherhood for my next character.

John Dubose

Article Writer
He's currently involved with the Companions, and I'm doing the College of Winterhold next. Ethically, he'd be corrupt enough for all four, but I'm saving the Guild and the Dark Brotherhood for my next character.

Nice nice. Sounds like a solid character to me.

Vaga8ond

I think i have taken all types above lvl 20 but I tend to prefer ranged characters, particularly archer types. Wood Elves and Bretons are my favorite.