Xbox 360 Equipping your hooded follower

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Adam Warlock

This post only applies to regular followers who have default hoods ( 3 types) except as noted

1. Followers who wear fully hooded robes ( Illia , Erandur , Aranea )
2. Followers who wear hoods seperate from robes ( J`zargo , Onmund , Brelyna)
3. Armored followers with hoods ( Rayya , Serana in daylight )

The following method allows you to replace follower`s robes/clothes with any other robes/clothes and/or replace the hood with some other kind of unarmored headwear like a circlet or hat.
You can also put different clothing/robes on unarmored followers who don`t have a default hood (Annekke , Derkeethus, Marcurio) in the same way

First remove all inventory from follower at an inside location.
Then give follower the robes/clothing and new headgear along with the other things you want them to have(bare minimum)

At this point , they will not be wearing the new clothes or headgear.
Now give them any helmet and they will equip it.

Save your game.
Now load the game you just saved.
Ask to trade with your follower and remove the helmet.
Voila ! they will now be wearing the new items you gave them.

Do not fiddle with the follower`s inventory as that may cause them to revert to default clothes either at the time or after a loading screen. Sometimes this also happens when they have been hit with arrows that are added to their inventory.
In either event , just repeat above steps to reset.

Example - Brelyna given Arch-Mage Robes(won`t equip) , Mage`s Circlet(won`t equip) , boots , and gloves.
Add helmet and she puts it on.
save , load , and remove helmet and now she wears both the new robes and circlet.

For kicks , I got Erandur to wear Ragged Trousers and Annekke got some Tavern Clothes(!)

Followers will still not change to items that are the same as what they began with even if it`s an improved version.
For instance , Annekke will not switch to enchanted Gloves but will switch to Vampire Gloves

Appearance aside , the most useful purpose for this is for robed followers like Brelyna who use Mage Armor like Stoneflesh since you can give them custom enchanted non-armored apparel and avoid the cost/penalty of adding armor
Remember that not all enchantments are effective (see Followers page at UESPWiki for list)

Dr.Madness

Overlord of the Void
Thanks for this post....I can now get Erandur to wear Varmina Robes :D

Adam Warlock

Thanks for this post....I can now get Erandur to wear Varmina Robes :D
Wow ! If you hate Erandur THAT much , you should have killed him and taken the Skull of Corruption.
Good thing for you Mara is not the vengeful type

Dr.Madness

Overlord of the Void
Oh no, I love Erandur, I wish he had combat skills, since destruction nd one handed are very low. I took him to the Temple of Mara if Riften and he was really grateful. I will NEVER kill him because 1. I have the Oblivion Walker achivement (thanks to Hircine's Quest) and 2. he would make for a terrible thrall....I gave him a Amulet of Mara to wear, I take him with me whenever I go to cleanse a vampire den (he would be my primary follower if I had Dawnguard) since being a priest he fits the role even if he gets 5 hitted by a Blooded Vampire.....

Adam Warlock

Yes , Erandur is certainly one of the odd ducks in the follower pond.
100 level Restoration skill , high health , and high stamina but low magicka and little else to help in a fight .

His 2nd highest Skill is in Conjuration however and I don`t think it goes against type to give him a Summons Atronach Staff or Scrolls so that he can conjure some help against strong enemies.

In fact , Erandur is one of the very few followers who I have seen utilize a Staff of Dread Zombies and Staff of Revenants to raise bodies for assistance during combat.

Adam Warlock

Just in case I missed something , I tested Rayya and Serana to see if this method would induce them to wear tempered versions of their default armor. The answer is no .
They will wear the circlet/hat in place of their hood but the improved gear is not equipped

Rayya is quite exotic in a circlet btw since she has a shaved head.
Kind of a badder-ass , better-built version of Grace Jones from that 2nd Conan movie

Adam Warlock

Some role play ideas for such a follower :

Give them Chef`s Tunic and Hat and tell them to cook dinner

Miner`s Clothes and a Pickaxe and let them dig

Mourner`s Clothes when a friend is killed

They can join cults like Vaermina`s or the Mythic Dawn

DB mage assassin in Shrouded Robes, Shoes, Hood , and Hand Wraps

Destitute in Ragged Trousers and Foot Wraps

Unique battle trophies such as Taron Dreth`s Robes

Party Clothes and Boots for a night on the town

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts