Elder scrolls MMO announced!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

FlickerWick

El. Psy. Congroo.
not read all the posts in thread so forgive me if it's a stupid question lol. Will the online be on consoles?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Probably not, given that they'd have to cram a whole continent onto a disk to begin with! It'll most likely be PC only. :sadface:

not read all the posts in thread so forgive me if it's a stupid question lol. Will the online be on consoles?

There's not really any information about it. But my guess on that would be no.

EDIT: ninja'd ^^

Scott from Scotland, post: 100289 said: <br />not read all the posts in thread so forgive me if it's a stupid question lol. Will the online be on consoles?<br /> <br /> <br />Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
<br />Probably not, given that they'd have to cram a whole continent onto a disk to begin with! It'll most likely be PC only. :sadface:

That is rubbish would be awesome to create your own faction with some of your mates :sadface:

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
Fancy game informer :p I can't get to dat website at work. Unfortunate :p

Here you go:

front610.jpg
Long rumored and much anticipated, The Elder Scrolls Online is finally being unveiled in the June issue of Game Informer. In this month's cover story we journey across the entire land of Tamriel, from Elsweyr to Skyrim and everywhere in between.

Developed by the team at Zenimax Online Studios, The Elder Scrolls Online merges the unmatched exploration of rich worlds that the franchise is known for with the scale and social aspects of a massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Players will discover an entirely new chapter of Elder Scrolls history in this ambitious world, set a millennium before the events of Skyrim as the daedric prince Molag Bal tries to pull all of Tamriel into his demonic realm.

"It will be extremely rewarding finally to unveil what we have been developing the last several years," said game director and MMO veteran Matt Firor, whose previous work includes Mythic's well-received Dark Age of Camelot. "The entire team is committed to creating the best MMO ever made – and one that is worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise."

An in-depth look at everything from solo questing to public dungeons awaits in our enormous June cover story – as well as a peek at the player-driven PvP conflict that pits the three player factions against each other in open-world warfare over the province of Cyrodiil and the Emperor's throne itself.

Come back tomorrow morning for a brief teaser trailer from Zenimax Online and Bethesda Softworks, and later on in the afternoon for the first screenshot of the game. Over the course of the month, be sure to visit our Elder Scrolls Online hub, which will feature new exclusive content multiple times each week. You'll meet the three player factions, see video interviews with the creative leads, and much more.

The Elder Scrolls Online is scheduled to come out in 2013 for both PC and Macintosh.

Verses

I love a good MMO and have played a fair few - thing is, to me at least, the Elder Scrolls games have always been a great single player experience. I wouldn't want that feel ruined. I'll definitely play it if I can, but it all depends on subscription costs and the sort of specs needed to run it. :p

Great news though.

EDIT: If there's any Cash Shop bullpl*ps that gives paying players a massive advantage I'm going to go ballistic!

i bet you a 100 bucks that they will include cash shop items...the single player will be the worst ever. (if they focus on multiplayer, which they will, the single player will be the unwanted child)
it'll probably be pc only.
and my guess is it will be something like pay to play if you want the entire landmass unlocked, like skyrim for example will be free to play but if you want more you'll have to pay up.

I think this will suck, but we can only wait and judge after.

Nameless1

How long is a millenium again?

it sounds long enough to put us way back when Tha Dwemer were around...
its excrutiatingly exciting yet at the same time slightly disappointing. I would love a single player chapter to this instead of an mmorpg that I will not play because fluff pc's and pay to play!

edit: And thankyou Mushroom face because my laptop won't load that page either.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Bethesda + MMORPG = Fantastic Fail

The MMORPG community is immensely less forgiving than the rest of the PC gaming community. If they produce an MMORPG with even half the bugs that Skyrim had at launch for an MMORPG the thing will be dead on arrival. They have zero experience with MMORPG platforms and if Skyrim represents the best they can do for an offline game in terms of quality control this will end up being a massive black mark for the company and on its most valuable brand.

I'll probably get a beta testing key when it goes to player beta testing to see how it is anyway but my initial impression is that it's overambitious and foolish on Bethesda's part.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
So... im guessing PC only. Once again... console owners screwed. However, if its next year. It would be an awesome release title for the next gen consoles (XBOX???/PS4). If they could get their asses into gear.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I noticed that Zenimax Online Studios, which is who Bethesda is using for the development team has no prior history of producing online games. I also noticed that Zenimax Online and the development team is being headed by Matt Firor, formerly of Mythic Entertainment. Matt and Mythic have been behind the creation of some decent MMORPGs but they are all PvP oriented, e.g. Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer Online which makes me wonder if this game will have a PvP focus as well.

Prepare for much ganking and griefing? o_O

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
Just gotta say, that speculation is O.K. but we all shouldn't judge until we try it, I mean yea, it probablly will be a huge mistake but you never know.....
Maybe Bethesda can pull a miracle into existence

XbSuper

I love this idea, however it doesn't seem like it will be an mmorpg, more of a single player game, with online co-op and pvp available. If it is an actual mmorpg, it will likely be a monthly subscription, which, provided it's a fun game(and not too expensive), I wouldn't have any problem paying for. I look forward to hearing more about this as the news becomes available.

Verses

now that i think of it...it will never really be an MMORPG.
Yes there will be co-op dungeons and pvp but i don't think players will ever meet except on those two occasions.
Otherwise where would you leave all the players?!

Imagine solitude with about 500 players in it...i don't even think that'd fit.

maybe it will be a single player game with pvp and co-op options, and then i could be positive about it because we'll all be able to enjoy the single player which is probably the reason everyone here has bought it in the first place

Harperlarp

Zenimax need to get their act together. PC and Mac only? Screw that. They'll lose out on so many millions by simply snubbing the majority of elder scrolls fans. Not happy. I have one friend in particular who I constantly talk Skyrim to , comparing our characters and sharing our tales of adventure. A multiplayer elder scrolls game would be the best thing ever. And it looks like that will never happen.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts