easiest way to level up alchemy skill

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
i want to make some good blacksmith potions because i can't find any anywhere. what is the best/easiest way to level up alchemy?

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
I think this would be better suited in the Guides/ Tutorial section or even the Help section. But to answer your question. Go to Morthal and Solitude area. Pick all the Nightshade and Deathbells you can. Make a metric fluff ton of damage health potions. Conversely if you have the money trainers are helpful. Note that Nirnroot is also a damage health, but I personally don't like it because it seems to make the poison weaker.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Alchemy skill leveling is in direct proportion to the value of the potions you make. The most efficient way to level Alchemy is to use the ingredients you have in combinations that will yield the most expensive potion. If you just want to wing it, it's simply a matter of trial and error. Alternatively you can use sites like this one to find out the recipes for the highest value potions.

i found 2 20% blacksmith potions which im not a fan of. if i drink one, upgrade my sword at the grind stone, wait, drink another and upgrade my sword again will that work?

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
i found 2 20% blacksmith potions which im not a fan of. if i drink one, upgrade my sword at the grind stone, wait, drink another and upgrade my sword again will that work?
No. Not in any significant way. The potion increases your Smithing ability by 20% or whatever value the potion says. Unless you increase your skill a lot in between uses you won't notice any improvement.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
my smithing is at 100 if that makes a difference
Then you won't see any improvement at all, ever. Not legitimately, anyway. A high Alchemy skill can make better potions than you'll ever find, especially with perks. If you really want a weapon that blows everything else away you'll need Fortify Smithing gear and Fortify Smithing potions.

Jaeger

Level is what level (you are) they start showing up in treasure caches and apothecaries.

Blacksmith's Potion
Level 1 For 30 seconds, weapon and armor improving is 20% better:
Fortify Smithing, 20 pts for 30 secs
Blacksmith's Draught
Level 10 For 30 seconds, weapon and armor improving is 30% better:
Fortify Smithing, 30 pts for 30 secs
Blacksmith's Philter
Level 20 For 30 seconds, weapon and armor improving is 40% better:
Fortify Smithing, 40 pts for 30 secs
Blacksmith's Elixir
Level 30 For 30 seconds, weapon and armor improving is 50% better:
Fortify Smithing, 50 pts for 30 secs

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
The effects don't stack so nothing will happend the second time.
Then you won't see any improvement at all, ever..
He wont see any improvement from between the first time he uses the potion and tempers his weapon at the grindstone and the second time because the effects don't stack, but the effects of one potion will allow for a modest improvement to his weapons damage. A 20% increase to 100 Smithing skill will increase the Smithing damage bonus of a weapon by about 3 points (assuming he has the matching Smithing perk for the material type of the weapon). Depending on his weapon skill and perks that will probably result in additional points of damage on top of that for his weapons displayed damage. It's not a lot but he may as well use the first potion and maybe sell the second one.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
The effects don't stack so nothing will happend the second time.
He wont see any improvement from between the first time he uses the potion and tempers his weapon at the grindstone and the second time because the effects don't stack, but the effects of one potion will allow for a modest improvement to his weapons damage. A 20% increase to 100 Smithing skill will increase the Smithing damage bonus of a weapon by about 3 points (assuming he has the matching Smithing perk for the material type of the weapon). Depending on his weapon skill and perks that will probably result in additional points of damage on top of that for his weapons displayed damage. It's not a lot but he may as well use the first potion and maybe sell the second one.
As usual, you said it better than I can. Thank you for clarifying.

dragonman7209

you can always make a fortify alchemy potion, drink it, then make another fortify alchemy potion with stronger enchantment, drink it, and so on. then make a fortify enchant potions to make some good fortify smith (gloves, ring, necklace, armor). drink a fortify smith potion with your armor on and then use the grindstone.