• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

PrisonerLizzie

Musing with my bf while playing and a thought crossed our minds...are the Dwemer really extinct or is there a secret outpost of them possibly down below the depths of Blackreach waiting. I mean it would make sense...who fixes all of those machines and resets the traps in the ruins?

Haru17

Lost Falmer
They are so extensively absent that they must have gone away from Nirn. There was a remaining Dwemer in Morrowind, so, theoretically, there can be exceptions. However I have a feeling that living shut up underground for so long would make the Dwemer just as bad as the monsters that the Falmer have become.

butcherpete2277

Suthay-raht
Every single dwemer in this plane of existence vanished. One (that we know of) was spared this because he was outside this plane of existance when kagramec (spelling?) decided to try do things he didn't know how to do (albeit he was strapped for time with the chimer beating down his door...). "The last dwemer" (forgot his name) is likely still alive due to having corpus...

smnmhn

I think the life thing could just be because the Dwemer are extraordinarily long lived, as corprus doesn't affect the lifespan, rather the cure does (also some of the other mer live ridiculously long lives, like the Telvanni).
But yes, Kagrenac hammered away at Lorkhan's heart, trying to make the new improved dwemer artificial god mk. 3, and sent all the dwemer god knows where, except Yagrum, the fat dwarf.

fuse735

Corprus victims dont age and are completely immune to disease, but the elves can live extraordinarily long,
Divayth Fyr who is the caretaker of the corprusarium is suppose to be 4000 years old

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
The Dwemer are the representation of the Dwarves. Whilst not much is known by them to the commonwealth and verious classes in Tamriel, the Dwemer were a secluded race of beings that cared for nothing but their mining and study of mechanical marvels they discovered which was unbeknownst to them, old mining machines from the Aldmer.

The name Dwemer derives from Alyied "Demor" old elvish for fallen elf. Later known as Dwemer in later times as "Deep Dwarves"

The Dwarves are actually Aylieds that got trapped like the Daedra in greed. Their own little world of acquiring precious metals deep under Nirn (i.e. the planet). In a nutshell, they settled in Skyrim, but when their metals were depleted they left. Some went underground, deep, while others left Skyrim totally.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
The Dwemer are the representation of the Dwarves. Whilst not much is known by them to the commonwealth and verious classes in Tamriel, the Dwemer were a secluded race of beings that cared for nothing but their mining and study of mechanical marvels they discovered which was unbeknownst to them, old mining machines from the Aldmer.

The name Dwemer derives from Alyied "Demor" old elvish for fallen elf. Later known as Dwemer in later times as "Deep Dwarves"

The Dwarves are actually Aylieds that got trapped like the Daedra in greed. Their own little world of acquiring precious metals deep under Nirn (i.e. the planet). In a nutshell, they settled in Skyrim, but when their metals were depleted they left. Some went underground, deep, while others left Skyrim totally.

Ummm, what? I don't mean to accuse recklessly, but a lot of this post seems contrary to... everything I know about Dwemer. For instance...

-Dwe-Mer = Deep-Elves

-Dwemer fervently hate the Daedra and have fought their influence wherever they have found it (the Dunmer know this well).

-They left some cities in Skyrim in the wake of Nord sieges and the Falmer uprising. It is true that Dawnguard implied the sources of Aetherium in Skyrim to be depleted, but it was never said that the Dwemer left because of this. They were unilaterally removed from Nirn as a result of Chief Tonal Architect Kagnerac's (spelling?) magical meddling with the heart of a certain dead god.

If you have a source for this please provide it... but until then I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to call BS...

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
Ummm, what? I don't mean to accuse recklessly, but a lot of this post seems contrary to... everything I know about Dwemer. For instance...

-Dwe-Mer = Deep-Elves

-Dwemer fervently hate the Daedra and have fought their influence wherever they have found it (the Dunmer know this well).

-They left some cities in Skyrim in the wake of Nord sieges and the Falmer uprising. It is true that Dawnguard implied the sources of Aetherium in Skyrim to be depleted, but it was never said that the Dwemer left because of this. They were unilaterally removed from Nirn as a result of Chief Tonal Architect Kagnerac's (spelling?) magical meddling with the heart of a certain dead god.

If you have a source for this please provide it... but until then I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to call BS...

Perhaps my abbreviated example was misleading, or otherwise misinterpreted. Dwe-Mer = Deep Elf, yes. But my abbreviation was to those familiar with mainstream mythology of the Dwarves.

This is forgotten history.

Yeah, the Daedra hate the Dwemer because the Dwemer didn't want to be apart of their hideous plans to self indulge their race for the purpose of limiting themselves to the physical plains of Oblivion and Nirn as a whole. The Daedra unified themselves in rites of blood and made it holy with a type of dark Daedric sanctification in their greed for material matter. Their limitations and myopic view of the wonderful world they used to live in, stopped them from progressing any further as a race.

Whilst my words may be considered brash on this subject, it has to be said that I don't take sides, neither do I hold anything against the Daedra. But rather acclaim fact from fiction.

Whilst objections and opinions vary, or a lack of proof there of, I don't care nor do I have to force these facts down anyone's throat. I am not crusading my assertions on other poeple. So neither do you have any reason to label them as "BS".

But this will always exist.

This history isn't known by credible theologians and historians by that of private study nor those who work and study in any guild of Arcane sciences. It's only known by a very select few of the elect. ;)

well i think they have gone to one of the moons Masser or Secunda or have left Nirn completely i know it sounds daft like but there's a crashed space ship in the mountains i forgot what the names called as it is an unmarked location on the map but i hope to see the Dwemer in future games of the elder scrolls

mattizcool

Flying lawnmowers are cool.
well i think they have gone to one of the moons Masser or Secunda or have left Nirn completely i know it sounds daft like but there's a crashed space ship in the mountains i forgot what the names called as it is an unmarked location on the map but i hope to see the Dwemer in future games of the elder scrolls
I'm calling this BS unless you have proof available.

HaxAras

I'm calling this BS unless you have proof available.

fUdhrO2.jpg

I think it's somewhere on Solstheim in Morrowind and Skyrim. I got A quest to look for it before I botched my Morrowind play-through. I think it was some kind of steam-powered airship and NOT A spaceship.

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
i remeber in one of my play thoughs that it was said that the dwemer and snow elves had some issue, one enslaved the other on deal that the one would be drugged to be made blind and lose all sense of their being, i think it was the swemer that enslaved the snow elves, and the falmer are the result of being enslaved. the dwemer gave the snow elves safety in their walls but they paid a high price, I'm wondering if the Psijic order may of had a hand in the dwemer leaving, also in skyrim one of the bards quest let's you see a dwemer briefly, i think it was the jabberwack (bad spelling) quest if i remember

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
I see this becoming a very bad debate. I'm gonna just... observe, because I know very little about the Dwemer. :p

However, the original poster makes a good point. Who maintains the Dwemer ruins? Who keeps the flames lit? Who tends the machines and keeps the air pumps going? Maybe some of the Dwemer's machinations take care of all that, but who takes care of them? That's what I'm curious about... maybe it's Dwemer, hidden away that no one knows about, or maybe not. There's a lot of mystery in this game and who knows? Maybe there are a small group of Dwemer somewhere, still alive and trying to restore their race. Maybe not. Just an idea.

chizzbot

I personally just bought into the fact that they are long gone, but their mastery over all things mechanical is why everything still works... Also, why not question why candles are burning in the draugr crypts? some things you just have to buy into to enjoy the rest of the game...

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I see this becoming a very bad debate. I'm gonna just... observe, because I know very little about the Dwemer. :p

However, the original poster makes a good point. Who maintains the Dwemer ruins? Who keeps the flames lit? Who tends the machines and keeps the air pumps going? Maybe some of the Dwemer's machinations take care of all that, but who takes care of them? That's what I'm curious about... maybe it's Dwemer, hidden away that no one knows about, or maybe not. There's a lot of mystery in this game and who knows? Maybe there are a small group of Dwemer somewhere, still alive and trying to restore their race. Maybe not. Just an idea.

Dwemer spiders tend to look after maintenance. Most likely they keep the larger machines in working order, and could repair others?

I personally just bought into the fact that they are long gone, but their mastery over all things mechanical is why everything still works... Also, why not question why candles are burning in the draugr crypts? some things you just have to buy into to enjoy the rest of the game...

That could be the Draugr themselves doing that. As each day a set of Draugr do cleaning in the crypt. Possibly keep candles going?

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
speaking of the draugr crypts, why is there food in some of the crypts, yet i see no sign of living life, I would assume after a while most food would go bad. and the lights in dwemer ruin to me look to be almost like natural gas lights, my grand father's farm has gas lights in them, also my buddies ice shack has them as well, i'm thinking the dwemer tunneled so dep they must of hit upon a methan gas pocket or some sort of gas, and being as smart as they were made them into lighting. Though the op did bring up a good point about who maintains the machinery, LOL they did the same thing and fall out NV, the guy who wanders around stocking the sasparilla machines, maybe a lone dwemer maintains thedwemer machines as well, left behind for some reason and he/she just keeps the dwemer ruin up and running waiting for their return.

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
I'm going to go with the SkyNet scenario and assume the machines are maintaining the machines. Not to mention the prevalence of soul gems in the machinery, which would indicate some sort of magic/enchantment is involved.

As for the torches and candles in the tombs. . .given Draugr weakness to fire and their general clumsiness, I have a hard time imagining the decaying beast hunched over the candles lighting each one. Perhaps cursing as he accidentally lights his thumb on fire. . .

LuChao

The Martial artist
  • The Dwemer, if the theory about Azura imprisoning them is correct, may be in a realm accesible by mortals, as Falion in Morthal says,"I have travelled the Oblivion planes. I have met Daedra, and Dwemer, and everything in between." This seems to suggest that the realm is a plane of Oblivion, or perhaps a pocket dimension.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts