dual wielding assassin tips anyone please?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

tomaja

I am planning to start a dual wielding assassin.

Do you happen to have any suggestions as to what weapons to use - I want to go dual daggers.

Any tips how and where to quickly get my hands on some good weapons?

Any information greatly appreciated!

cheers!

Hellknight Anna

Empress of the Inferno
Well the best kinds would be self made daggers with 100 in Smithing (all the way to daedric perk) and Enchanting. Um... but let's see... Blade of Woe (if you steal off of Astrid from the Dark Brotherhood, and finish the Brotherhood questline, she'll give you another one) so you could dual wield those... Bound Daggers is also good if you can get them (I forget if that spell is sold, which I'm sure it is. In the college of winterhold visit the conjuration guy).

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
I prefered using the Blade of Woe with Mehrunes' Razor.

Blade of Woe is Dark Brotherhood, and Mehrunes' is a daedric artifact.

You can get blade of Woe really early but the Razor is level 20 I believe.

Hellknight Anna

Empress of the Inferno
Err note for above. Bound Daggers is a novice spell just like Bound Swords. So you can easily cast them :) Investing points in the conjuration tree wouldn't hurt either. Forgot perk name but the one that has Bound weapons do twice as much damage. Those with the assassin's blade perks would be great.

Morgan

You can only get the spellbook for Bound Daggers in Solstheim though, and after completing a questline. I think that's rubbish, especially since, as you point out, it's a novice spell. As is, unless you take steps to get it as early as possible, you'll have better by the time you get the spell.

If you're on PC, "player.additem 401CE07 1" places the tome in your inventory though.

Valdr's Lucky Dagger is a good one that can be had fairly early. You have to fight a couple spriggans to get it, but with Valkr and any entry-level follower that's not too tough. Head northwest out of Falkreath, and just before the pass that leads to the lakeshore, you'll see a path off to the left. Make sure you have a healing potion on you!

Hellknight Anna

Empress of the Inferno
Yeah when I play assassin characters I have custom character files. I have a mod that removes the Flames and Healing spells and I'd add custom spells. For assassins I put in the Bound Daggers as a starter :p and sometimes Fury (since Conjuration/Illusion are my main focuses) and then later in the game I'll get vampirism ^_^

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Anna playing a vampire? Noooo.

But I would say your daggers don't matter early. Focus on getting Assassin's Blade Perk first. Then level up your 1-handed attack damage/Dual wielding damage.

Hellknight Anna

Empress of the Inferno
Skies... vampire race is the gateway to being overpowered :p Of course I'd choose it. Plus I've always loved vampires <3

I agree with Skies. Focus on the perks and skills first. In mid/end game also work on smithing/enchanting as I stated before so you can craft the best daedric daggers in the game. You'll do well over 2,700+ damage at LEAST. The 2,700+ mark was actually calculated using Blades of Woe so.. I'm sure it's definitely higher.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Here is my break down.
Warriors= Gear matters all game, perks secondary.
Mages= Perks matter above all else, Gear secondary to the point it basically shouldn't matter.
Assassins/Theives= Perks critical early, gear primary late game.

JoeReese

I'm assuming you mean early game. Steel daggers will be your easiest to get hold of, lightest, and will require only the steel perk to maximize the upgrade. That being said, when you can get hands on Elven daggers, you may find you can get more damage out of them even without the Elven perk than with Steel and the perk. Start with Steel for ease of acquisition, and move up from there. Smith them to the max, and then compare them against whatever you were carrying.

One thing that's caused me trouble in the past. When you sneak up behind someone, do a single hand attack. If you hold both buttons and do a dual wield attack, I have found that they will sense/hear you and the eye will open, which means you lose the extra damage associated with being in sneak mode. If you're in face-to-face, then your power attack does mad damage, and you don't have to worry about losing your surprise anyway.

JoeReese

To answer your question more pointedly, outside of Winterhold, on the downside of the hill across the street from the mine, there is a small ruin with one bandit. It will have the body of Borvir, a college mage, and his dagger, which is Elven.

I don't know if you're going right to the DB, but if now, you can go to Swindler's Den, which is between Whiterun and Rorikstead. Kill the door guard outside, and then sneak the first of the two bandits inside the first cave. One of them should be wearing scaled armor. I wouldn't recommend going further into the cave at early levels, though.

Also, if you don't already have it, any two parts of Canis Root, Imp Stool, or Swamp Fungal Pod, will make you a paralysis potion. I have lived many times, only because I had some of those available to me.

Deathbell and River Betty will make you a combo slow/damage health potion, so if you don't kill them they more more slowly for a while.

There are a bunch of things to make damage health, but try to collect as much red mountain flower and nirnroot along the roads as you can. Free potions, greater damage, longer-living assassin.

Hope it helps.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Dual-wielding you say!?

Its all about the DPS (damage per second) when it comes to be a successful dual-wielder. That and being able to not get hit (Im assuming as an assassin you will be using light or no armour, so I wont go into that).

The One-handed dual wielding perks are a must (and are greatly increased if you are a necromage vampire).

Do you happen to have any suggestions as to what weapons to use - I want to go dual daggers.

Duel daggers, while the most quick to use in general, actually have a slower standing power attack than 2swords or a sword and dagger combo. This is because your character flips the daggers in their hands before they start the spinning attack. For this reason, and also for the lack of reach, I usually have my dual-wielders armed with a sword (in the right hand) and a dagger (in the left/off-hand), or I go with a sword and waraxe. Its very important to have your quickest (lightest) weapon in you LEFT hand. This is because your power attack sequences go off the speed of your left hand, not right.

Blade of Woe (if you steal off of Astrid from the Dark Brotherhood, and finish the Brotherhood questline, she'll give you another one) so you could dual wield those.

The blade of Woe is actually a very heavy dagger and has the same swing speed as an ordinary sword (1 instead of the normal 1.3), coupled together with the slower power attack of dual-wielding daggers, make this combo not as effective. Blade of Woe is perfect for sneak attacks however, due to its massive damage potential (also requires no items to upsmith it, making it a must have for an assassin), second only to a dragonbone dagger.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Blade_of_Woe

IMO smithing yourself a deadric sword and dagger up to legendary with custom enchantments is probably what you want to aim for, however thats pretty endgame. How about trying the Nightingale/Harkons sword and Mehrunes Dagger/Valdrs Lucky Dagger?

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Valdr's dagger in right hand, Windshear left hand. Destroy everything, staggering foes with the attack speed of a dagger + every hit with the dagger results in 25% chance of critical hit.

Snake Tortoise

Here's For Your Trouble
Valdr's Lucky Dagger is probably the best dagger for Assassins early on. Since it has 25% chance critical hit with every swing and it's an unlimited type of enchantment.

You can obtain it in Falkreath Hold. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Moss_Mother_Cavern_(quest)

Agreed! I used VLD all the way through my last build. People talk up Mehrun's Razor but to smith it to higher damage than VLD with steel smithing you'd have to add three extra perks on the smithing tree, and all in the heavy armour side of the tree. That seems like a waste of perks to me

Fevershaking

The King of "NOPE!"
If you're going Assassin, I suggest don't start the Main Quest till you Finnish Up The DB quest line. Dragons will be a bit tougher, because you'll be using Lighter armor for sneaking. The Nightingale Set is wonderful for Assassins, As Is the Dark Brotherhood set. If you're going to use the Nightingale Set, Wait till level 32, as it is leveled and you get that best stats at that level.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
Focus on the Dual Wielding perks first! They are WAY more important than the sneak perks early game.

The speed of attacks feeds off the left hand, the stamina cost from the right hand.

The DeathBrand set is invaluable if you're a dual wielder. SoulRend and BloodRend plus Deathbrand is pretty much the most powerful a build gets.

Dual Wielding is by far the most powerful build in the game. Just sayin'. Only thing that's really a threat is the Ebony Warrior.

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
dual deadric dagger, enchanted 1 with paralyze and the other with absorb health/drain health if you have the perk in enchanting to dual enchant have one with absorb soul and something else, also there is a quest called azura's star, essentialy it gives you a re-usable black soul gem, perfect for an assassin seeing how you may want to kill people for the DB, means you can constatly recharge your weapons easy. also stealth kills are a must as it will allow to one shot just about anything, invest in archery also, this will prove usefull both early on and later in game, don't be afraid of poisons, even if you never level/perk alchemy 10 damage from poisons will help, use them. really an assassin with dual wielding daggers can be the most potent build, after you get your sneak up a bit i recommend trying to back stab white run guard at night walking outside the city, reason i say at night and out side city is because night increases your stealth and there are 3 guards outside or 4, which means the odds of being spotted and recieving a bounty are minimal. same can be said for the guards in markath, easy way to lvl 1h and sneak. invisibilty potion are preferable to the spell unless you intend to use illusion. also muffle on gear will help. a note about invisibilty, if you been spotted it will not make you unnoticed, best to use the potion as it wont alert enemies that are close, where as the spell (unless have quiet casting perk) will alert enemies in the area. To lvl archery easy, and make some quick coin/lvl BS, hunt deer and other game, alway be observant and dont be affraid to use third person mode to get an eagles eye view orf your surroundings, some consider it cheating but it's really not. Hope this post has helped you.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts