Dremora Lord vs Potent Storm Atronach: Which one you prefer?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
My mage just reached level 100 Conjuration earlier today, and I was wondering about this.

I usually use the Dremora simply because they look badass, but I'm guessing the potent Storm Atronachs are stronger stat-wise? At least two of them can take down a Dragon quickly. Although two Dremora Lords also make short work of a grounded Dragon.

My favorite thing to do is enter a dungeon, conjure two Dremora Lords and simply loot the bodies of those hapless fools who inhabit said dungeon. But what about you? Let's hear your opinion on the subject.

PoisonPen

Potent storm atronachs don't hit anywhere near as hard as Dremora Lords, but they have a ranged attack. Unfortunateoly, the storm atronachs are also too large to pass easily through small doorways or dungeon obstructions. I find, too, that the rumbling and crackling noise the storm atronachs make overwhelms some of the more subtle noises I rely on to stay alive, such as the swoosh of traps activating or the draugr grunts and rasps from around the corner. I find the only time I summon storm atronachs is when I'm outside in an open area and fighting dragons who won't land.

There is one real advantage to storm atronachs depending on your play style, however; storm atronach thralls mean you don't need to keep one hand occupied for your summons, and can either switch to dual-handed destruction or use your free hand for defensive spells.

As someone who rarely uses Conjuration, I have to ask: Is it possible to summon 1 of each?

PoisonPen

As someone who rarely uses Conjuration, I have to ask: Is it possible to summon 1 of each?

Yes, but it's not usually a good idea to mix ranged allies with melee allies, since the storm atronach will gleefully shoot the Dremora Lord repeatedly in the back while the Dremora Lord is hacking at its opponent.

A

Apollyon Yagami

the storm atronach is just too big, and ugly, Dremoras and flame attronach for ranged.

Yes, but it's not usually a good idea to mix ranged allies with melee allies, since the storm atronach will gleefully shoot the Dremora Lord repeatedly in the back while the Dremora Lord is hacking at its opponent.

Ah, okay. :) Yeah I rarely use followers, summoned creatures, or illusion. Though, as many hours as I have in the game, I'm finally finding some amusement from illusion. I'm more of an offensive in your face type player.

PoisonPen

Ah, okay. :) Yeah I rarely use followers, summoned creatures, or illusion. Though, as many hours as I have in the game, I'm finally finding some amusement from illusion. I'm more of an offensive in your face type player.

You should try the Apocalypse Spells mod. It gives every school of magic offensive capability, allowing for much more varied strategies. It's reasonably well-balanced, too, so that you still need destruction if you want to get the big damage numbers, but will give you a handful of low- and medium-damage spells with some interesting quirks even if you specialize in something like restoration.

Exelex

Since my recently started Necro playthrough, I prefer necromancy over most schools of magic. I have never used a Dremora or Atronach, just the dead and destruction magic.

You should try the Apocalypse Spells mod. It gives every school of magic offensive capability, allowing for much more varied strategies. It's reasonably well-balanced, too, so that you still need destruction if you want to get the big damage numbers, but will give you a handful of low- and medium-damage spells with some interesting quirks even if you specialize in something like restoration.

I'd love to try that mod, if I weren't on the Xbox 360 :)

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
It's situational. Dremora Lords do more damage but that's not always a good thing. If you want to level Destruction, a Dremora Lord may slow down your skill leveling. They also get no benefit from the Elemental Potency perk.

A Potent Atronach on the other hand will still tank very well for you (it actually has higher health than the Dremora Lord) and will outdamage a Dremora Lord in any situation where it is difficult or impossible for a Dremora Lord to reach melee distance against an enemy (e.g. Dragons, enemies using archer from ledges etc.). They can attack entire groups of enemies with Chain Lighting, their Storm Cloak automatically inflicts damage to the health and magicka of enemies in melee range, and they will alert you to the exact location of an enemy faster than a Dremora Lord by launching their shock magic ranged attacks. In addition to that they're completely immune to shock damage so you can fire any kind of shock spell while they are near your target without doing any harm to them. It's for these reasons I use them to protect my mage when she is traveling outdoors.

I use the Dremora Lords primarily indoors because they can navigate through doorways, or when I can clearly see enemies on the ground ahead of me while outdoors.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
Dremora Lords will basically curb stomp anything, while Storm Atronachs can use range and such. I like to keep Storm Atronach Thrall up when outdoors and traveling. The I get rid of it when heading into a town or dungeon. In dungeons I rely more on the Dremora Lords unless there is an enemy on a ledge using ranged attacks then I just spam Flaming Familiar, summon a Dremora Lord on the ledge with them, or drop a Storm Atronach.

Motomarsu

I prefer Potent Storm Atronachs, because for some reason to me, when i summon dremora lords, they die almost instant when i fight ancient dragon, but they are very powerful IF they get near the enemy. I like atronachs because they are like SAM turrets and sensors for dragons. I do use both but for me atronachs are better option.

JoeReese

Question: I am seeing the term Potent Atronach for the first time. I can summon Storm Atronachs as well as flame and frost, but is there another level of Atronach?

I generally summon a Dremora Lord for fighting people and legged beasts, and a Storm Atronach for dragons. A few people have already said the reasons. Dragons do not have a good day when they realize I gave Mjoll a staff of Storm Atronach and a staff of chain lightning, and that I conjure the Atronach and then also use my staff of chain lightning. It's quite amusing, actually.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Question: I am seeing the term Potent Atronach for the first time. I can summon Storm Atronachs as well as flame and frost, but is there another level of Atronach?
A Potent Atronach is term used for any Atronach conjured when you have the Elemental Potency perk, which increases their health by 50%.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat

I generally summon a Dremora Lord for fighting people and legged beasts, and a Storm Atronach for dragons. A few people have already said the reasons. Dragons do not have a good day when they realize I gave Mjoll a staff of Storm Atronach and a staff of chain lightning, and that I conjure the Atronach and then also use my staff of chain lightning. It's quite amusing, actually.
With the Conjuration perk Elemental Potency it improves your atronachs to be "potent" and makes them more powerful than normal atronachs.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts