• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Since shouts are in the language of dragons, why do they use such a limited number? Apart from flame and frost, most dragons make no use of the full range. Why no Disarm or Marked for Death etc.?

LuChao

The Martial artist
very very good question

JoeReese

I thought legendary dragons used a form of Drain Vitality?

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
I've wondered that too. It seems like Dovahkiin knows more of the dragon language then even the dragons do, because you can whip out a dozen shouts and they use one or two. I wish they would use really powerful, really intricate shouts... and maybe even a few unique ones that the Dragonborn can't even use because he isn't a Dovah. That would be REALLY cool if you saw a dragon and they used some crazy shout that you can't get and you don't even know what it does until it happens... that would be cool. :D

Lucid

And on the flip side of that, I want to learn Alduin's meteor shower Shout.

Chadonraz

Alduin uses Unrelenting Force in Helgen. :blackdragon:

Can't remember if it's vanilla dragon behaviour, but I've had other dragons use Fus Ro Dah as well.
In my modded game dragons can also summon storms and temporarily freeze me (and NPCs) solid, however the latter is not a Shout. They sure love doing it, too!

Anyway, that is an interesting question. Even Alduin only has the basic ones plus Dragon Storm Call (and URF, but I can't recall him ever using it after Helgen); if that wasn't so, I'd suggest Alduin forbade "lesser" dragons to use Shouts other than fire/frost and Drain Vitality. :)

DestroyerDevourMaster

"Zu'u Alduin. Zok sahrot do naan ko Lein!"
I'd say it's just a game play limitation, that and I'm sure because Bethesda would never hear the end of it if dragons started rag dolling players like the Draugr do. Off cliffs no less!

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
I know that if dragons use as many shouts as Dovahkiin, Some of my characters would have been screwed during their playthroughs haha. That would make battling dragons that much more challenging though, which is definitelynot a bad thing.

LuChao

The Martial artist
I say make a mod that lets dragons use all the shouts so those who want the ability to face multishout knowing dragons they can :D

zuko514

I doubt Fus Ro Dah will do much good on open area against the player. if the dragons are able to use mark for death,well good luck.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
And on the flip side of that, I want to learn Alduin's meteor shower Shout.
This one?

You can add it but it takes a couple steps in the console to do it. You have to be careful though because like the regular storm call shout, you can kill a lot of friendlies around you too and it's so easy to get massive bounties as well.

As far as why dragons don't use more, I think it's a matter of some dragons are naturally stronger and better at it than others. Just like some mortals can learn a few words, some can master it and others are totally lost. Also there is the thing that dragons are so powerful, immortal beings, they tend to underestimate what a weak mortal could do to them and thus there isn't as much motivation to learn new powers.

I like the idea of Alduin likely clamping down on it as well. It's rational to believe he would see a lesser dragon getting stronger and stronger as a threat.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
I thought legendary dragons used a form of Drain Vitality?

They do have a variation on it. I kept getting hit with it in my ragged trouser/wood sword bad-ass trial

Writes-Many-Posts

Champion of Grottos and Gremlins
Maybe a Dragon wouldn't expect it would ever need/be able to disarm another to battle it. But I must agree, Elemental Fury for the dragons to spam their bites and tail swings would be awesome, as well as a marked for death to stack up on the Dovahkiin and decrease his armor until it reached negatives. Oh, wait! A dragon with dragon aspect! Or a wind dragon with Cyclone! Or even a shock breath, to stop mages from getting an advantage against them... Oh! A shout of telekinesis, known as the Force Choke! Dragging the enemy near you with mental power, holding him in the air, so you can roast an easy target with your fiery breath!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts