• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

JakeGeorge!

Orc Life
What if Skyrim wasn't based around the story of a dovahkiin? What would be a good main questline to lead the story on besides dragons? Would you expand other quests and flesh them out more, such as Civil War? Or would you rather there be just another new story component altogether?

Ust'Ro

If there was no Dragonborn and everything played out the same, the Theves Guild would have fallen, the Dark Brotherhood would have fallen, and Alduin would have brought forth the end times. And, in my opinion, the Empire would have crushed the little uprising that is Ulfric's rebellion. But yes, I do believe the Civil War would lead the game.

JakeGeorge!

Orc Life
Lol, I don't think I explained this well enough. No dragons/dragonborn or any of that. You can still save the Thieve's Guild and join the DB, just nothing related to dragons. You're just a regular adventurer in a dragonless world aha.

i K33L n0085

Destroyer Devour Master
Just the Civil War for a main quest?
That would suck.

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
Just the Civil War for a main quest?
That would suck.
I think if the Civil War/second Great War had been the major focus of Skyrim, it would probably trump the current main quest - I actually would prefer it. To me the Thalmor feel like the huge threat to Skyrim, whereas I didn't really take the dragons (or Alduin) very seriously. Specifically with Alduin, he was probably one of the blandest villains ever; Commander Maro and Ancano inspired more hate in me than Alduin did.

i K33L n0085

Destroyer Devour Master
All you do in the war questline is storm cities and take over forts, making a sneaky assassin build completely useless.

Also, what about all the people who play as elves? Who think the Thalmor are right to think that elves are superior to man? (which they are) What side would they join?

IF SKYRIM WASN'T BASED AROUND THE DRAGONBORN I WOULD RATHER THERE BE NO DRAGONS AT ALL I WOULD MUCH RATHER SEE THE STORY OF THE THALMOR PLAYED OUT LIKE THE MAIN CHARACTER INSTEAD OF THE DRAGONBORN COULD BE THE ONE TO TAKE DOWN THE THALMOR AT THE END OF THE GAME THEY DON'T REALLY EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENS WITH THEM , MAYBE AFTER THE ORIGINAL CIVIL WAR QUESTLINE THERE COULD BE A A SECOND WHERE THE NORDS AND IMPERIALS RALLY TO TAKE DOWN THE THALMOR I THINK MAYBE FOR THE NEXT SKYRIM DLC THE SHOULD EXPAND ON THE THALMOR'S STORY LINE

Skyrimosity

IF SKYRIM WASN'T BASED AROUND THE DRAGONBORN I WOULD RATHER THERE BE NO DRAGONS AT ALL I WOULD MUCH RATHER SEE THE STORY OF THE THALMOR PLAYED OUT LIKE THE MAIN CHARACTER INSTEAD OF THE DRAGONBORN COULD BE THE ONE TO TAKE DOWN THE THALMOR AT THE END OF THE GAME THEY DON'T REALLY EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENS WITH THEM , MAYBE AFTER THE ORIGINAL CIVIL WAR QUESTLINE THERE COULD BE A A SECOND WHERE THE NORDS AND IMPERIALS RALLY TO TAKE DOWN THE THALMOR I THINK MAYBE FOR THE NEXT SKYRIM DLC THE SHOULD EXPAND ON THE THALMOR'S STORY LINE
I think you've had too much mead.

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
All you do in the war questline is storm cities and take over forts, making a sneaky assassin build completely useless.

Also, what about all the people who play as elves? Who think the Thalmor are right to think that elves are superior to man? (which they are) What side would they join?
I know, I'm saying if the game had been designed around the war it could have been done a lot better and had more elements than just storming forts.

And being unable to join the Thalmor is already an issue, you would have to choose Stormcloaks or Imperials.

i K33L n0085

Destroyer Devour Master
I'm not saying being unable to join the Thalmor isn't already an issue, but that's why it's a SIDE questline.
Some people don't like to join at all because it would be out of character.
Forcing someone to pick a side in the war to experience the main questline would suck.
And how would it be different than just storming forts?

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
I'm not saying being unable to join the Thalmor isn't already an issue, but that's why it's a SIDE questline.
Some people don't like to join at all because it would be out of character.
Forcing someone to pick a side in the war to experience the main questline would suck.
And how would it be different than just storming forts?
I understand it might be out of character, but I know a lot of people don't even start the current main quest because being the dragonborn is out of character. If you really didn't want to pick a side, then sucks to be you, but I doubt it would be an issue for the majority of people.

And I don't know, I'm not a video game designer.

i K33L n0085

Destroyer Devour Master
I personally think the story of dragons returning is far more interesting than a bunch of people killing each other because they think their race is better.

In my opinion having the two sides to pick from ,from the start is better than having one set path of the dragonborn all the way through the storyline. And to differ from storming forts maybe there could be missions like assassinations of jarls or political leaders, maybe rally groups of people in different cities to fight for the cause and maybe involving the guilds to pick a side or recovering of ancient magic items that would show power like the jagged crown. but for play types i know fort storming and dungeon crawling aren't for everyone maybe inside the two factions there could be three different people to report to for different jobs one mage , one theif , and one warrior ( like in the theives guild were you go to either vex or delvin for different types of jobs )

Skyrimosity

I like the Main Quest... sure its not the greatest Main Quest out there but it is definitely fun for a first playthrough. PS, is everyone forgetting about the Elder Scroll you have to get? What, just cut off one of the funnest missions (in my opinion) of the entire game? Blackreach is really scary if you HAVE to go in there and fight the Falmer/Dwemer devices just to get that Scroll.
"The Scrolls have foretold, of black wings in the Cold, that when brothers wage war come unfurled. Alduin, Bane of Kings, with a hunger to devour the world"
(something like that)

JakeGeorge!

Orc Life
I think the Civil War could work as a main questline if it were fleshed out more to add different character type missions. To be able to be in the war as a scout/healer/sword n board/archer would add a lot to it. You could choose how you wanted to fight the war, up close or from the sidelines healing others, or scout out and set ambush points before a battle.

Like said above ^

ShadowGambit

Here is the "What If" as I see it

After the Civil War, now that Skyrim is weakened, no matter what side would win, the Thalmor are in a great position.

I would like to see the Thalmor planning to invade/take over Skyrim. All of the sudden, Solitude would be Lost, under Thalmor full control. The access to the sea will allow them to bring more force in.

After Markrath falls under their control, the people of skyrim start to realize what is happening. The Jarl of Whiterun will start the resistance.

You will have to choose side: Helping the Thalmor or Defend Skyrim

Intrigue and negotiation will be the name of the game at the start, to avoid/help the Thalmor to spread.

How much money will be needed to keep/take Riften with the TG agreement? How much also to keep Falkreath, we will have to see with the DB. The last Quest of the DB can also brings you to a twist, learning that Amund Motierre actually works for the Thalmor. Both way, you will have to kill the emporor, but you will learn that the Thalmor promised Motierre to be the regent of Skyrim, when they would have full control of it.

You will have some epic battle to Take/defend Markarth, Solitude, Whiterun or Windhelm. You would be the lead general on your side...

FaithInNumbers

Follower
Yeah I agree with having the war be a major questline. I actually did a solid amount of research before I chose a side because it feels much more important than the main quest.

I guess I'm just into the political stuff a little too much. First playthrough I was like YEAH LET'S FREE SKYRIM. Now I'm like... do these fools not see the bigger threat? Haha.

But I definitely agree that making the war a little more three dimensional would be awesome. Less "do this, do that, storm city, good job" stuff. If the main quest wasn't there, make the war and the thalmor questline a pressing issue.

Skyrimosity

"Main Quest isn't important"
*Plays every other questline and does every other possible thing*
*Alduin devours the world and your screen turns black, saying "Your game has ended. This will teach you.
Sincerely, Bethesda.*
Because, in all honesty, saving the world from a Dragon > helping a dieing Empire remain in power/helping a power-hungry Jarl become High King

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts