Does having too much gold make this game too easy/pointless?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

kate87

Hey all,

I just started playing Skyrim and had a question regarding profits. Once you've gotten to the point where getting gold is no longer an issue does the game become too easy/feel pointless? The main reason why I ask this is because I'm considering getting the Prowler's Profit perk, but not if it will take away the challenge of the game. Getting hoards of gems sounds like tons of fun, both for display and profit purposes.

However, I'm one of those people who get's easily bored with games once the challenge disappears. I know that you can change the difficulty, but if you have enough money to buy anything you want will you ever run into any trouble? Your opinions will be greatly appreciated! Edit: Oh and I play on the PS3 if that matters. No DLC for me =(

Brizzle Kicks

Welcome To The Underground
Christ I could hardly read that, but to answer your question for me no it doesn't make the game any easier but I don't really buy anything from anyone I craft my own weapons and armour and find my own gems and ingredients. The only thing I buy are the houses but I start on master all the way through I find it helps you appreciate it more when you do become a beast at higher levels. There does come a point when you have so much money there isn't anything you can do but keep adding to your profit but it doesn't make the any less fun or easier imo.

ThriceHeart

Last Hunter of Toru-Manawa
I had found that having too much gold was more of a distraction because there is no need to go and do quests for cash. Being that most of my characters are the Hunter/Gatherer types, carrying large amounts of gold takes some of the roleplaying potential out of it.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
Advice, different font color.

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

I think I only spend money on buying houses and supplies for skills. You could try to set a number of goals that don't revolve around gold, like collecting all the dragon priest masks, collecting all the Daedric artifacts, completing a certain quest, becoming the master of the Thieves Guild, Harbinger of the Companions, Arch mage, slaughter all the killable NPCs, achieve a specific level or set of perks, etc.

That's what I do to have fun when I find my gold is piling up and I don't need it. So.. I guess it boils down to the simple idea of doing things that money can't buy.

Shadow King

Grand master of the Order of Talos.
i have 400000 gold now on my main build legit gold that is. and no money does not make the game easier at all in my oppinion simply because 1 theres no armor or weapons you can buy that is really usefull in 600 hours i think i have bought a couple of weapons because i just craft mines i dont know why u cant save up for some special holy armor or something that costs 250000 gold there should be amazing items armors and weapons that cost those prices so u have something to look forward to after u have done all quests etc. and it would make it easier if u could buy unlimited health/magica potions but u cant lol.and i agree with thriceheart its hard to roleplay a hunter making money from venison and pelts when u have 400000 gold in ure inventory but i just put my 400k in a safe

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Money buys you love from Forsworn wimenz.

Spidey-Man

Just hangin' around
I find that having a lot of gold and junk doesn't really affect the experience much because by the time you amass such a wealth, you'll have nothing to spend it on that you can't already make yourself.

Can't read the OP....black font on black background FTMFL

Medea

The Shadow Queen
The difficulty in Skyrim depends on your level much more than how wealthy you are. Enemies, items and NPCs level up with you.

I suppose a lot of gold could buy you extra potions and magic items, and that would make the game somewhat easier, but since more powerful items do not unlock until you reach specific levels, you won't be able to buy anything that you couldn't pick-up from a powerful enemy at any one point in the game, no matter how much money you have.

Anwrise888

A very naughty naughty kinky mage....
Boy everything in every shop. Grab everything. Then drop it all in your house. Then Fus Ro Da the f***f out of that pl*ps.

Bluebaron

I currently have almost 7 million gold septims in skyrim with my khajiit warroir . I only used 1 character all through skyrim on my xbox 360 . Making money is so easy especailly with the perk where you find more gold and gems in treasure chests . I am currently only a level 66 but trying to work my way up to the max level however the only thing I wish is some of the merchants had more than 2000 or 5000 gold to sell too beside the riverwood trader who has 12,000 gold on hand to deal with selling of merchandise you pick up along your travels through skyrim . I am guilty of being a gold junkie I will collect or take all I can carry to sell off if I dont need it . I will strip a place of any value just to make a septim I will even return to pick up what I left behind when my carrying weight is maxed out . I usually dont buy much of anything in skyrim I choose to make what I need and sell any extra for profit . I wish you had the ability to sell off the homes you make or earned if you dont use them like most of my homes in the cities . I hardly ever visit them anymore since I use my hearthfire homes the most . I just store expensive items in each of them except the solitude home since its glitched or atleast I heard it was anyway . I even dump merchandise on the traders of dragonborn too , got to spread the wealth and goods around . Having excessive money in skyrim does not effect gameplay at all just how much you can buy if you need something bad enough .

Gigan

All of the most powerful gear is either crafted or from quests, so having unlimited gold really doesn't change much at all.

Suleku

The Grey Knight
Best way to lose all
Hey all,

I just started playing Skyrim and had a question regarding profits. Once you've gotten to the point where getting gold is no longer an issue does the game become too easy/feel pointless? The main reason why I ask this is because I'm considering getting the Prowler's Profit perk, but not if it will take away the challenge of the game. Getting hoards of gems sounds like tons of fun, both for display and profit purposes.

However, I'm one of those people who get's easily bored with games once the challenge disappears. I know that you can change the difficulty, but if you have enough money to buy anything you want will you ever run into any trouble? Your opinions will be greatly appreciated! Edit: Oh and I play on the PS3 if that matters. No DLC for me =(

Two things to make the game fun again... Dance around whiterun naked ((Male character Only required for over 9000 weirdness points)) or trade in your ps3, and buy it for PC... Come on now we got mods ;o, and Ps3 Version doesn't look as sexyz either :)

SuperDoubleSlap

Over 1,200 hours of Skyrim played!
I have currently over 120k gold on my main do-all character, not to mention 250k+ in gems, dragon bones + hide etc. I find it really boring. Since I don't have the DLC (Xbox 360, getting all three Thursday, hurrah!) I have no way to really spend my money.

EDIT: I also have Prowler's Profit, which really doesn't help at all. Every time I see gems I drool a bit and just take them.

Kinnikki

Kinnikki
Hey all,

Skyrim is absolutely awesome but is spoiled by getting too much money and nothing left to spend it on. You lose the incentive to explore. I have bought every house and every, everything here is a pic of my present gold but I have chests full of enchanted armour, weapons and potions worth zillions and nothing to spend it on. This has made my favoriteScreenshot.jpgScreenshot.jpg game totally boring for me now. Too bored to finish the Dragonborn dlc.