do you prefer a mixed class play-style? or a pure class play style?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

what is your most favoured gameplay style?

• Total voters

Agentoringe

Agentoringe, i think you need a hobby, preferably out of the house, like grave robbing maybe, :cool:

Haha no time for hobbies bro, work too much. In my free time sitting around after handing out assignments or in between classes I think about stuff like that and how it works, lol even given some participation grades if the classes help me think of stuff lol I used to play ALOT of DnD back when I did have lots of free time, and I loved it, exercising that imagination was a ton of fun lol and skyrim brought alot of those same mechanics in DnD to a console. ALOT of our fantasy lore and basis for such is derived from old school dungeons and dragons lol they kind of set the standard for fantasy role playing lol if only I could talk Bethesda into making psions in thier next TESVI. lol

jonathan90

well known member
I hope that in my next build that I make a good hybrid assassin destruction mage. But it would takes ages to complete in fact to a master mage/ assassin.

But a master mage assassin with full smithing and enchanting will be my next build after my current build.:D

Thank you so much Agent!!! I think I'm going to start a new Mage and try it out. All I really want to do is be able to play and have fun without having to worry about constantly being made crispy dead meat by a dragon. Cause BEFORE you fight that first dragon it's all fun and games. Then you fight this dragon and after that, every time I turn around a dragon is attacking. And they kill me. I play on the level right under master most of the time. I just want to be able to play and kill em with a decent starting build. So I'm assuming conjuration and destruction should be my first skill trees to put points in then?

jonathan90

well known member
Thank you so much Agent!!! I think I'm going to start a new Mage and try it out. All I really want to do is be able to play and have fun without having to worry about constantly being made crispy dead meat by a dragon. Cause BEFORE you fight that first dragon it's all fun and games. Then you fight this dragon and after that, every time I turn around a dragon is attacking. And they kill me. I play on the level right under master most of the time. I just want to be able to play and kill em with a decent starting build. So I'm assuming conjuration and destruction should be my first skill trees to put points in then?
Invest in Conjuration or destruction, But only keep it to 2 or 3 magic skills and nothing more. Otherwise you will run out of perks by the time you get to a certain higher level.But do whatever suits you best.

Agentoringe

Ah, yeah, more or less...as far as destro goes, like I said, your gonna want to use rune spells...once you get your destro skill to 40, it's all a cake walk after that. Where as the dual casting perk in the different schools for the most part don't benefit you, actually on a cost=damage ratio it only benefits when you have 100 skill in destro, because dual casting a spell grants it a 10% damage boost while increasing its total cost by 40%, at 100 skill you would effectively reduce the cost of spells in the school by 41%...see what I mean? dual casting is only ever really good for spells if your at 100 skill or can cast them for free.

However, the 40 skill perk impact, makes the 40% increased cost Magnificently worth it lol as a Mage that will be your bread n butter using destro.

As far as conjuration goes, focusing it is definitely gonna be what you wanna do, maybe even more so than destro...because the lower spell cost for the atronach means you have more distractions and by proxy means your taking less damage. Gettin points into the bonus range on summoning early on means that you can spend less time putting distance between you and your quarry and more time chukkin spells or healing...it's a big step to making your combat more efficient.

So yeah, focus destro/conjuration...always follow up with restoration though, try not to let it get too far behind the others, crunch time n no pots and you will be kicking yourself for not leveling it enough to go buy that ONE healing spell that could have saved you lol.

Oh, and the higher skill level you have, the more xp it grants towards an actual level up when you rank up that skill, and even then, you don't run into any real problems gaining a level until after level 50, and I'm pretty sure 40+ perks will be more than enough to keep you Rollin lol

Hope this helps man! Good luck!

SlaveIITheGame

I generally have an idea of what skill tree/combat type I want to do... but for the life of me I always get sucked heavily into doing archery, alchemy and then restarting a new character.

Magic/enchanting looks interesting when I see followers and npc's with their lightshow of magic, but I can't get into it myself.

Agentoringe

I generally have an idea of what skill tree/combat type I want to do... but for the life of me I always get sucked heavily into doing archery, alchemy and then restarting a new character.

Magic/enchanting looks interesting when I see followers and npc's with their lightshow of magic, but I can't get into it myself.

Just like breaking a bad habit, lol if you would like to try somethin different even though you are precariously pulled into archery, never keep a bow or arrows on your character, throw them down if you have to, start with magic or tank n spank, and STAY there, that's how I learned to rock my builds I posted earlier, you have to stick to your restrictions. Mages as well as Mage play styles are a ton of fun, just gotta grin and bear it when you get the urge to pick up a bow.

SAY NO TO BOW! (continuing to chant with throngs of people joining in...) lol

You can doeet! b O_O d

CaptainPollux

We must be careful about what we pretend to be.
I'm not terribly far into the game yet, and so far I've stuck with a simple two-handed tank build, but as I've been getting used to the game, I can see how it's much more interesting to cross-train skills. I presently have a bit of magic and archery going, and I'd like to work new characters with those as the base of the builds, but for right now I'm just getting used to the game.

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
I usually focus on One main class. If i'm playing a thief i will focus all of my skills on stealth, and a few on combat, though i like to keep my assassins and thief's seperate since i tend to be non-combat thief's using My poisons or just pure stealth to sneak past undetected. The most i venture out is on my Ranger's because i get some illusion and alteration spells as well, same goes for my Assassins... So guess it depends on what my base class is.

Agentoringe

I usually focus on One main class. If i'm playing a thief i will focus all of my skills on stealth, and a few on combat, though i like to keep my assassins and thief's seperate since i tend to be non-combat thief's using My poisons or just pure stealth to sneak past undetected. The most i venture out is on my Ranger's because i get some illusion and alteration spells as well, same goes for my Assassins... So guess it depends on what my base class is.

Ah yes, the well aged "killing when necessary vs killing because you can" situation, I completely agree w separating thieves and assassins as a class, thieves kill when they have to but prefer to sneak around unnoticed, where as assassins go unnoticed until they achieve thier target, then either disappear or create a bloodbath that nobody walks away from. I try to avoid archery in my thieves builds because in my opinion, a thief isn't going to want to draw attention, and someone randomly dying next to someone else with an arrow in his face is pretty attention grabbing lol plus the thief gets thier thrills from being in the middle of the action without being noticed. Assassins revel in confusion and chaos created from carefully (or chaotically) laid plans. The play styles are very different as far as I'm concerned.

For instance, my thieves don't use poisons, it's viewed as dishonorable, they want to pull the wool over someone's eyes or complete the jobs when the enemies are at thier best, not feel like they needed a handicap to get one up on thier enemies. Idk, I can however see the two role plays coinciding with each other, like the thief gets bored and needs a bigger thrill so he turns to assassinating people, or the assassin that's good, but doesn't quite enjoy the killing or methods employed, so shifts to the life of a thief, less action sure, but more suited to the personal likes.

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
my next build I'm going for a poisoner, thinking of maybe calling the build Venom Tongue, mostly because i plan to be an argonian, and with the back story of coming from Black Marsh, i will use poisons mainly as a for of attack. After all to me it seems poisons would be abundant in a marsh/swamp. Now as far as choosing a guild to be in, i'm leaning towards DB at first, then work my way into the theives guild, I intend to role play this character. The role play will be simple, I was captured and brought to skyrim from my native land, angry at being nearly beheaded i devote my time and energy to poisoning people with my knowledge of plants/toxins. The DB notice my prolific skills and I agree to kill for them for the pure pleasure of killing. as life goes on my hatred slowly burns away, killing for pleasure and revenge has become dull, i turn to skooma and drinking, to help pay for the addictions I sell potions but alas it is not enough. I join the theives guild to make some quick coin without the need to kill on a daily basis. the Venom Tongue build will be fun for I think, and being a reptile makes becoming the dragonBorn all more epic, considering i sort of look like a dragon lol. despite not breathing fire i have the Scales and epic tail for it.

Torok

I'm now playing a heavily armored summoner, alteration and archery master, who has a bound greatsword, he knows restoration spells and a flame cloak spell, he has some staves that he uses. So, if that's not a hybrid I don't know what is.