Do you play your character like your personality in real life?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Lightningfalcon

Seems khajit...
So i've tried pretty much every playstyle in this game and now bored, i completed the main quest once but only having conjuring 2 daedra lords to do all the work for me.

I haven't tried the thief playstyle though, but the assassin i have, i just can't bring myself to steal things from people knowing how upset they'll when they find out and i can't disrespect people in game in the chat dialogue options.

I'm always the nice guy but just can't be the bad guy, any of you have something like this? I'd really like to be a thief :sadface:

Start Dale

I got 99 problems but a Deadra ain't one.
I play as a mercenary berserker, as they match my style of no stealth skills but I can swing a big axe.

Wildroses

I have exactly the same trouble. I feel really terrible about killing and stealing from NPCs. It took me six months to do the Dark Brotherhood questline, and I had to take a week off to stiffen my resovle when my first contracts were so frightened and begged for mercy. Everybody kept saying how fun the questline was, so I wanted to do it at least once. I did a little better doing the thieves questline, but I refused to set anyone up. To this day I have not gotten the Thief achievement, the Master Criminal Achievement, the Wanted Achievement, or the Oblivion Walker Achievement (I'm not killing my friends, eating a priest or beating an old man to death, Daedra. Deal with it).

I can roleplay characters with characteristics I don't have in real life, such as bravery, recklessness, short tempered, idiotic and the like, but they all have morals which prevent them from murder and stealing. I just don't have fun when I'm killing NPCs or stealing, and Skyrim is supposed to be a game.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
I play as a thief, but more like, stealthy. I wear the Nightingale armour and have maxed out helmet, gloves and ring for archery. I use the nightingale bow which is currently at 145 damage and use ebony, daedric and glass arrows, and have my archery perk tree maxed out as well. I use a glass bow with a soul capture with 145 damage when I need to fill soul gems. I did the companions quest so I couldn't catch vampirism, and married Farkas. Other perk trees I maxed out are the speech, and sneak tree. I am playing on level Expert. I don't mind stealing, assassinating etc... I do feel bad leading someone to their death though. But I guess it's all part of the experience. ;) This is the second time I am playing skyrim and I have done some things differently, in my first game I was Leeloo the khajiit, in this one I am Shadow the hot blond Nord...lol.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
I play stealthy. My sneaking, light armor and archery skills are at 100 with all perks in there. I wear the Savos Aren Arch-Mage armor + thalmor gloves and boots. My bow and my dagger are Stalhrim. All of what I wear and use, are properly enchanted.
I do play the game as if I was there. But I do not use stealth all the time. Sometimes I fight my enemies face to face using magic on my left hand and dagger on the right; sometimes I use conjuration magic and I like to play alone, not followers.
But is nice to have the stealthy skill available when you need it. I am kind of a versatile warrior not just a stealthy one.
By the way, my conjuration is also up to twin souls and sometimes I use my dual casting to conjure twins and watch the scene or kill from a distance with my bow or dagger from behind.
And sometimes, I do not sneak at all. I will say that depends on the situation and how I would like to handle things at the moment. ;)

GrinTwist

I play with stealth myself, but I don't like killing an NPC that I feel doesn't deserve it. That's why I didn't like doing starting the quest for the ebony mail. I didn't want to kill one of my followers.

AS88

Staff member
Skyrim was my first RPG, so my first character was very much like me. Trying to be the nice guy, do some exploring but wanting to quest and progress at the same time.

Since I've learned the premise of role-playing a character, the game has totally opened up for me, and I have so many characters, all with quite profound differences in the way they play, their backstories, motives and styles :)

Ivory

Let's Player
Through out my constant replays of skyrim, my biggest problem was making a character that represents myself. I hated crime so much that it became habit to look at the Crime Stats to make sure I didn't have a false Assault charge (Not sneak killing animals apparently counts as assault.)

However I stopped, I realized that no matter how much I wanted to represent myself in Skyrim, I knew deep down I couldn't. I had an epiphany and realized I was going about it all wrong. Instead of representing myself in Skyrim like I am based on my life now, I twisted it. I re-invented myself with the struggles of living in Skyrim itself. While my Snow elf story is its own, I recreated my Nord (Will change to a real Snow elf when I can use a PC.) to represent me in this way. (My avatar). I thought about the mistakes I'd make if I lived in Skyrim for real, the choices I'd make, the friends I'd make and enemies I'd create. The best part about it for me was I suffer from long term memory loss of most of my childhood (remembering only main key details). Huh...never thought I'd have a bright side to that one. Neat.

Renny

The Cole Train, Baby.
I do play my character like my personality in real life. I try to persuade people to do things, fight recklessly, make stupid decisions, and last but not least, going on walks a lot. I tend to do that in my spare time.

Lightningfalcon

Seems khajit...
Through out my constant replays of skyrim, my biggest problem was making a character that represents myself. I hated crime so much that it became habit to look at the Crime Stats to make sure I didn't have a false Assault charge (Not sneak killing animals apparently counts as assault.)

However I stopped, I realized that no matter how much I wanted to represent myself in Skyrim, I knew deep down I couldn't. I had an epiphany and realized I was going about it all wrong. Instead of representing myself in Skyrim like I am based on my life now, I twisted it. I re-invented myself with the struggles of living in Skyrim itself. While my Snow elf story is its own, I recreated my Nord (Will change to a real Snow elf when I can use a PC.) to represent me in this way. (My avatar). I thought about the mistakes I'd make if I lived in Skyrim for real, the choices I'd make, the friends I'd make and enemies I'd create. The best part about it for me was I suffer from long term memory loss of most of my childhood (remembering only main key details). Huh...never thought I'd have a bright side to that one. Neat.

That was beautiful *sniff*

Gehenna

Dazed & Confused
No, because I like doing all the quests in the game. In other games, where doing every single quest I can get my hands on doesn't take me all over the place, morally speaking, I tend to play more as I want to be than as I really am. And when it comes to games that give you cool abilities in exchange for being evil, I won't bat an eye at being evil. (Like some Star Wars games.. I'd rather have force lightning than stasis.)

So, I guess my answer would be "very rarely do I play similar to my own personality" and only when something about the game doesn't seduce me to the dark side. (all puns intended) :D

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
I actually use Skyrim to be a person that I'm not, or to explore things that I couldn't do in real life. Have a bad day at work? Go on a hack-and-slash rampage through Whiterun. Punch a guard and run away. See how far I can push the buttons of characters before I get my butt beat. Snap my fingers and instantly charm someone, while I have my hand in their back pocket stealing their sweetroll. Climb mountains, go whitewater rafting in my underwear, and ride a dragon. Can't do any of that in real life.

Black Orchid

Death Incarnate
Interesting that you should bring this topic up, as I was just questioning the moral obligations of playing an assassin in the Dark Brotherhood quest line.

Being a fairly new player to Skyrim, I still had a good idea of what I was getting into before joining. But that didn't make me feel all that great about killing innocent folks (e.g. homeless people or a fisherman's wife, just to name a few). I could understand taking out some evil necromancer or high ranking corrupt official as that's the name of the assassination game, but when it involved some trivial slaying of 'Bob the Homeless Guy,' I was like, ok I'm done doing the miscellaneous 'Dark Brotherhood Forever' quests.

At this point I'm just getting on with things and going through the rest of the main quest, although I might do the Thieves Guild campaign, as I really need a fence with which to sell all of my stolen goods. I don't have an issue stealing useful stuff from characters in the game, as that's what a hardened street criminal would do to survive in the game, but I draw the line at slaying completely random innocent people in the game, which I find both useless and disturbing.

One thing is certain, and that is that the Dark Brotherhood does not discriminate against its victims.

Moral obligations aside, I did find the main Dark Brotherhood quest line to be both challenging and full of intrigue, and since I'm currently the new leader, I now call the shots. So what that means is no more killing 'Jed the Potato Farmer.'

Start Dale

I got 99 problems but a Deadra ain't one.
Interesting that you should bring this topic up, as I was just questioning the moral obligations of playing an assassin in the Dark Brotherhood quest line.

Being a fairly new player to Skyrim, I still had a good idea of what I was getting into before joining. But that didn't make me feel all that great about killing innocent folks (e.g. homeless people or a fisherman's wife, just to name a few). I could understand taking out some evil necromancer or high ranking corrupt official as that's the name of the assassination game, but when it involved some trivial slaying of 'Bob the Homeless Guy,' I was like, ok I'm done doing the miscellaneous 'Dark Brotherhood Forever' quests.

At this point I'm just getting on with things and going through the rest of the main quest, although I might do the Thieves Guild campaign, as I really need a fence with which to sell all of my stolen goods. I don't have an issue stealing useful stuff from characters in the game, as that's what a hardened street criminal would do to survive in the game, but I draw the line at slaying completely random innocent people in the game, which I find both useless and disturbing.

One thing is certain, and that is that the Dark Brotherhood does not discriminate against its victims.

Moral obligations aside, I did find the main Dark Brotherhood quest line to be both challenging and full of intrigue, and since I'm currently the new leader, I now call the shots. So what that means is no more killing 'Jed the Potato Farmer.'

But Jed the Potato farmer must die ;)

Currently i'm playing my Dale of Belfast character still who used to be like a slightly amoral Sam from Quantum leap in personality now though, all pretense is gone Skyrim will be mine!

Karen

boop.
If anything, I play the opposite of who I am. I'm already me all the time, I don't want to be me in a game where I can be anyone else, too. :p

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
Skyrim is an escape from life. In life, I'm a nice guy. I try to get along with everyone. I obey the laws. I pay my taxes. So, with that being said, in Skyrim ...

I. Am. EVIL! Muahahahahahaaaaa! *distant crack of lightening and thunder*

I steal. I kill. I'm a thoroughly nasty person that will do anything and everything to accomplish my goals of wealth and personal power. Just the other day my Dunmer mage was walking along the road and chanced upon some Revelers out enjoying the day. From previous experience, I knew that if I joined in with a couple bottles of Honningbrew mead I'd get a nice gift. Unfortunately, I only had one bottle on me. Knowing that opportunities like this are random and I was unlikely to get another chance anytime soon, I calmly walked away a fair distance and blasted them with a dual cast Fireball. I got 2 out of 3 with the first shot. The other guy ran in fear but I pursued and got him before the bounty left a permanent mark on my record. Then I raided their smoldering corpses for the gift and all their mead.

I have cast Fury on Heimskr just to watch him get killed by the townspeople. And because he gets on my nerves. I still smile when I think about it.

I provoke Thalmor, Skooma dealers, and anyone daring to call me a milk drinker.

I slaughter innocent farmers. I slay Redguard women after the Alik'r finish their interrogation then I sneak up on them and take their souls. I take the Black Star every single time.

I occasionally play characters with some semblance of morality. But nearly all of them are willing to cross the line. The Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood questlines are almost always part of my career path.