Do you ever use exploits/cheats?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

skydawg

Having played the game many hours "legitimately", I recently created a new character and decided to employ a few cheats to get through some of the more tedious elements of the game like smithing and enchanting. I know some people would frown on this but I kind of feel I've earned it as I've put my time in. It is amazing how many exploits and cheats there are in this game, like the secret room with all the weapons and Armour in the game, the dawnstar hidden chest, or the infinite gold exploit etc. Anyone else explore all the variety of ways you can spam your way through the early levels?

JClarke1953

I played Skyrim, with the DLC's on three chars "legit" until I figured there wasn't much left to do but the various side quests that were very redundant.

This one I have used the Oghma and the Alchemy/Enchant exploit. I still have her run or take a carriage (no point in buying a horse. If a Dragon or the Forsworn jump, it'll get killed) to different destination but for High Hrothgar. Honeyside is her main base, although she own Proudspire and Breezehome.

I don't use a follower because they are too hard to keep alive (although Serana will make a good one when I rescue her). And I'm not joining the Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood this time. I was happy to find I could complete finding Esbern, and retrieve a stolen bow without needing to deal with the Thieves Guild.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Nope, don't do cheats or exploits. The game is the journey, not the destination.
Are you quoting Farkas again? Wait... he said something about "...keeping your eyes on the horizon...". My bad.

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
Nope, don't do cheats or exploits. The game is the journey, not the destination.
Are you quoting Farkas again? Wait... he said something about "...keeping your eyes on the horizon...". My bad.

You know you're playing too much when you start quoting Skyrim NPCs in real life. Or, if you're me, you're watching Castle and you think, this would make a great Skyrim plot.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?

You know you're playing too much when you start quoting Skyrim NPCs in real life. Or, if you're me, you're watching Castle and you think, this would make a great Skyrim plot.
I keep quoting Belethor and Acadia at home: "Let me know if you see anything you like..." and I always get a smarta** reply.

Dovahkiir

Gameplay elements, no, thats just silly, the only person you're cheating is yourself.

However when it come to more mundane stuff like the fact I have a chest groaning with more stuff than I can possibly carry in one trip and would have to make close on a dozen trips back and forth across Skyrim to shift it all... then I admit I'm guilty of the occasional console command to get infinite carrying capacity, or at least ridiculously large, for as long as necessary.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
God yes.

This game is best played at high levels and high difficulties. I don't even start Dragon Rising until at least lv70. I will do whatever means necessary to fast-track to that level so I can start REALLY playing. Blackreach at lv 81 is way more fun than plodding through there at lower levels.

I don't play Skyrim for a journey... that's what life is for. I play Skyrim to decimate s**t.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
I don't use exploits. I just don't see much point. Hell, I don't even really use the stuff that makes you overpowered. I keep telling myself my next character will use enchanting, but it never happens. Just once I want to walk around with everything fully enchanted... laughing off mage fireballs that bounce off the aura my armor radiates while impaling bandit leaders on my glowing swords of awesome.

But no, I always find myself trudging around with simple Banded Iron Armor and plain ol' unenchanted Skyforge Steel. o_O

Willow

As a gaming noob I used cheats on my first playthrough (mostly just taking items from the hidden merchant chests). But with my new character I gave myself a rule not to use them. I have to say it's a little difficult to not take advantage of unlimited soul gems when you're tying to level up your enchanting. But I've gotten more into roleplaying my current character so the challenge actually works better for that.

Mr Forz

I'm helping. Mostly.
I've only used console cheats in order to get access to the crypts that are quest-locked in order to acquire the respective words of power in there. I like collecting shouts when using them frequently in my build, but I hate having to start quest lines related to factions (where I'll inevitably end as the master of that faction) that have nothing to do with my character just in order to collect the lost words.

KonahrikTheRevered

Dragon of the North
I play entirely legit for the most part. Its a shame its too easy to get money. I've been meaning to get some more hardcore mods so maybe my next playthrough won't be so fun.

Kaelbu

I have only used one exploit (took some stuff from Eorlund's merchant chest at a low level) and I've only done it once, with my current character. But I've played so many characters and enjoyed the unadulterated vanilla game the whole time. I think if I do use a cheat, it won't detract much from my experience at this point.

Inquisitor Saken

polan can into space?
'cept when I get sidetracked and mess around, the only cheat I use is a sneaky 'resurrect' when my follower dies. No one will ever know... :p

Though sometimes I'll also cheat to get an amulet of one of the divines since I'm too lazy to find them. :D

Oh, forgot about this. I unlock master chests via the console because there's never anything worth the 4390829085920 lockpicks I break on them

MjolnirV

xDoctor Bob
I believe I have a good balance. I have been playing Skyrim on the Xbox since it was released but have been playing on the PC for the past three or four months. The mods I use aren't exploits or cheats really; I only use armor mods, some magic boosting mods, and an alternate start mod that is great for RP purposes.

I use console commands if it is needed for RP reasons, ie a renown warrior of the legion coming to skyrim should already have imperial armor, not running around looking for iron armor.

I power level to an extent. Every few levels make sure my crafting skills are keeping up with the difficulty of combat I'm facing. That way I don't get stuck fighting ancient dragons while having a smithing of 30

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
I used the Dawnstar chest to get my coin up to buy a house to store stuff in. I sometimes spam the soul capture and muffle spells to level up (hangs head in shame).
Sometimes, when a boss fight is just way too hard on master and I have died dozens of times, I will dial back the difficulty one or two. I very rarely do this, mainly when it's against more then one foe (like Forelhost)

Manmangler

When I'll try get quest and play serioulsly not.

When I sometimes want relax, it time for SUPER.
- Install Levellers tower
- Install few FIREARMS mod

Then my character is some how moved in time and place to sword era, roleplay normal way with certain amounts of bullets (No crafting of those). I bonus some character never uses guns that others will see those (bandits of coursee see those guns, but they wont tell)
She/He just try survive and get messed with overpowerd guns and do what she/he wants(Crafting bullets).
Worst is offcourse that firearms/levellers tower combination, God like PC, who dont like wrong behavior (Do You... BANG and nazeen is no MORE)