• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Which DLC should I buy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stigweard Ruadhan

Jeg er stolt. Jeg er sterk.
I'm mulling over whether or not to purchase the Dragonborn or Dawnguard DLC from Steam...

I have been looking closely at reviews, opinions, videos, etc but would like the opinion of this community to help me decide.

It's likely (with a wife and 2 year old daughter) that I'd have the cash to splash on one of them only...and so, if I did decide to make a purchase, which would be best?

Which adds greater longevity?
A good storyline?
New armour or weapons?
Has more potential for role playing?

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

Longevity-wise, the Dragonborn quest is short. I finished it in.. I'd say 4-5 hours. Dawnguard took me a great deal longer as I recall, but my memory might be a bit cloudy. The scale of Dragonborn, however, is quite impressive. Lots of side quests, a big island, etc. It should keep you busy for a while if you don't rush straight through it.

I took more interest in Dawnguard's story because I just like vampires, and Serena serving as a companion during the quest made me feel involved with it the throughout. I felt slightly disconnected from Dragonborn's quest because I was all alone, and wasn't entirely interested in there being another Dragonborn. This really comes down to taste.

Weapons and armor, there's a bit too much to say here, so I'll just give you a link to each:
Weapons (Dawnguard) - The Elder Scrolls Wiki
Dawnguard: Armor - The Elder Scrolls Wiki

Weapons (Dragonborn) - The Elder Scrolls Wiki
Armor (Dragonborn) - The Elder Scrolls Wiki

Note: Dawnguard gives you the ability to make Dragonbone weapons, which is a big plus.

More potential for roleplaying? Hard call. With Dawnguard you can be.. a hardcore Vampire lord, or a freelance vampire slayer who wields a crossbow. I haven't tapped into Dragonborn much, so its role play elements aren't clear to me. Maybe you could read up on some of the weapons/armor links above to give you some fresh ideas.

I really can't choose between the two of them, but I hope this info helps you.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Unless you are into being or hunting vampires, Dawnguard felt kinda "meh" to me.

I'm looking forward to Dragonborn on PC soon, but mostly because I'm nostalgic for Morrowind!

feliciano182

I haven't played Dragonborn yet, but many hardcore fans of the series will argue Dawnguard was an unimpressive, incomplete waste of twenty dollars worth of content.

Fluffle them.

Dawnguard was fantastic, if it lacks anything, it's locations and better places to visit, but as for what it offers it's quite unique, it basically gives you two new and awesome guilds to take part of with new infinite missions, companions, weapons, spells, it's quite impressive.

Morgan

If you don't have to get it as soon as available (which obviously you don't if you haven't gotten DG yet) you could keep an eye out for Steam sales. It's quite likely that after DB's been out awhile, they'll bundle the three add-ons and sell them as a package for $20 or so. I'll be waiting for the same sale to get DB :)

Stigweard Ruadhan

Jeg er stolt. Jeg er sterk.
So does the "world" of Dawnguard run alongside the "world" that I've already built up with a character?

Do they "merge" so to speak?

Morgan

So does the "world" of Dawnguard run alongside the "world" that I've already built up with a character?

Do they "merge" so to speak?

Dawnguard doesn't represent a different world at all. It's still the same old Skyrim, just now with vampires becoming a problem, and an idealistic group trying to do something about it. Each faction has a new location associated with it, but these are dropped into out-of-the-way places so you can easily just pretend they were there all along and you didn't notice them before. The two most noticeable differences if you install DG but before you even start playing the content:
  • Craftable arrows, and if you have Dragonsmithing perk, you can suddenly craft weapons in addition to armor
  • Vampires raid towns at night. If this happens around dusk, it is quite easy to catch normal NPCs going home from work, and you might therefore lose a few merchants or minor quest-givers. (I believe these attacks start when you are level 10.)
Other than this, DG basically just adds two major quest hubs.

Ivory

Let's Player
Dawnguard doesn't represent a different world at all. It's still the same old Skyrim, just now with vampires becoming a problem, and an idealistic group trying to do something about it. Each faction has a new location associated with it, but these are dropped into out-of-the-way places so you can easily just pretend they were there all along and you didn't notice them before. The two most noticeable differences if you install DG but before you even start playing the content:
  • Craftable arrows, and if you have Dragonsmithing perk, you can suddenly craft weapons in addition to armor
  • Vampires raid towns at night. If this happens around dusk, it is quite easy to catch normal NPCs going home from work, and you might therefore lose a few merchants or minor quest-givers. (I believe these attacks start when you are level 10.)
Other than this, DG basically just adds two major quest hubs.
I've actually had vampires attack around level 8-9

feliciano182

I decided upon getting Dawnguard as Dragonborn isn't out on PC just yet and DG is currently on offer on Steam for £6.49

It's a good choice friend.

A recommendation ? When you get to the final battle and IF you are both werewolf and member of the Dawnguard, activate the Beast Form power, the word "epic" does little justice to describe such battle.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts