Details in Skyrim you probably diddent notice

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Saint Vicious

Still sober
I'm sorry it's a bit long. I was writing this as a rough draft for an article. But it went out of control and the wrong direction of what I wanted. I diddent want to just delete it so I decided to post it here. I'll come back and edit and fix it up some when I have time.

Details in Skyrim you probably diddent notice.
I’m going to start this article as a pessimist, but don’t worry I’ll make it all better. I tend to over evaluate things, small stupid things nobody else even cares about. Because of this I have great attention to detail, for better or worse (Mostly worse).
My first gripe is about the weapons. I actually restore and sharpen knives at a custom shop as a side job. And I’m an avid bowhunter/archer. I prefer traditional bows, long bows and recurves. Like those found in Skyrim.

But the weapons in Skyrim would really be useless in real life. The majority of one handed swords are too long and bulky. The design of these would actually suite better as two handed swords. And the iron sword especially. For a narrow and thin blade it would be alright. But do you know how heavy iron is? There’s no way your swinging that with one hand. I don’t care how big you are.The same argument goes for two handed swords. Imagine quickly swinging a battle axe several times in a fight. When the blade of the axe is as long and wide as your torso. It won’t be easy.

With bows, the long bow, hunters bow, and foresworn bow, they hit it right on the money. Perfectly sized and made of the right materials for the most part. But the dwarven bows,elven,ebony,deadric and so on. Not possible, even in a land with dragons and magic. Perfectly curved thin lengths of metal (spring steel is best) may work for a bow. But huge, wide and thick ebony, and brass (my best guess for dwarven metal). Will not flex, it won’t have any spring at all to shoot an arrow.

And they’re so damn big, it’ll take four people to hold the bow up and a hundred people to pull the string to fire an arrow. My biggest complaint though. None of them require leather strips to make. What’s the string made out of? Metal? Seriously, that’s the only thing I don’t like about Skyrim, no leather strips to make bows.

But complaints aside, I know it’s a video game, the weapons look cool as hell, and I love my deadric swords. The game would absolutely suck without them.

Now, to my optimistic side. The first time a saw a dwarven machine I thought “there’s no way that would run long without some kind of oil. Then I killed it and guess what, Dwarven oil! That blew my mind that Bethesda thought of that too. That one simple little item got me addicted to Skyrim.

Then the other night I watched as three wolves slowly circled, crouched and stalked a deer. Soon killing it. The amazing detail put into the wild life is done perfectly. Even the mammoths are done right, with the exception of the ones that fall from the sky. The elephant is the closest relative to mammoths we have today, and are actually easily tamable, and very protective of family, be it elephant or human, or in this case giants. But are also (with a few exceptions) generally peaceful animals and will not attack unless provoked.
----------
So, what are some small things that ya'll have noticed. Just extra little details that are easy to over look, but awesome just because they were included?

Shadow King

Grand master of the Order of Talos.
great thread, i noticed something last night in sovengarde ive been there four times and never realised on the tables there is 2 ox legs and one ox head i was like wtf ive never heard of this item before, so i am happy after 800 hours of gameplay i still find items i have never seen even if they are useless lol. i like it because if the heroes of sovengarde are eating ox it means that ox once roamed skyrim but are now exstinct, i thought thats a cool detail, its more realistic aswell it shows they over hunted the wild ox.

i agree with the bows i never use any bow except the long bow. the rest all look stupid like something a catoon character would use. the long bow i love because it looks just so right especially when u go out hunting. i went hunting with auriels bow once it never worked its so chuncky and impratical.

i love how they done the deer/elk they are my fav animal in skyrim just the way they can jump up rocks to escape you is outstanding, it thought it was realistic enough.

you have touched on the iron sword allready so if u have an iron sword in ure right hand which is obv ure writing hand, how the fluff can u carry an iron sheild on ure weak left hand.

Saint Vicious

Still sober
you have touched on the iron sword allready so if u have an iron sword in ure right hand which is obv ure writing hand, how the fu** can u carry an iron sheild on ure weak left hand.

I restrained myself on shields and apparel. I could write a damn novel on it. But as I said, it's unrealistic. But the game would absolutely suck with out all the cool gear.

jaredb

what are you guy's on?

If the dragon born can sprint round skyrim carrying up to 20 steel war-hammers & other various goods in his backpack then I'm pretty sure he's strong enough to dual wield a couple of heavy weapons effectively

Moris

Interesting thread. I love hearing about the real world details on things I know, truly, nothing about.

In Skyrim, though, the physics are clearly a bit different (and I'm not just talking about flying mammoths). I mean, food does not rot, mines replenish themselves, and when an electromancer shoots so much electricity out of his palms that his target flies 50 yards backwards, he experiences no recoil.

Maybe iron isn't the same metal in Skyrim.

Okay, yeah, I know... that's crazy talk. Why would they call it iron if it wasn't iron?

Saint Vicious

Still sober
what are you guy's on?

If the dragon born can sprint round skyrim carrying up to 20 steel war-hammers & other various goods in his backpack then I'm pretty sure he's strong enough to dual wield a couple of heavy weapons effectively

I was just pointing out how it would not work in real life. Quite clearly actually. Did you read the whole post?

jaredb

I was just pointing out how it would not work in real life. Quite clearly actually. Did you read the whole post?

you cant cast spells, fight dragons & conjure undead in real life mate, what you been smoking recently?

MyNameIsJon

So, what are some small things that ya'll have noticed. Just extra little details that are easy to over look, but awesome just because they were included?

Moving clouds. The immersion they provide cannot be underestimated.

I don't remember them being in Oblivion or Morrowind.

gold coins weigh nothing even though gold ore and gold ingots both have weight.

Rafter75

Now that I'm done with my first play through. (lvl 81 and done just about everything) I'm noticing BIG details that I missed in my obsession to rip through content the first time around. Like today I noticed the view of the land around white run from the skyforge. I just had to stand there and appreciate it. Phew!

Krepency

A cool detail I've noticed is that when your fighting (at least with khajit, haven't checked other races but it probably applies to all races) your character has an aggressive look with his teeth baring as opposed to his calm demeanor when you're not fighting. Neat small detail in Skyrim

Saint Vicious

Still sober
A cool detail I've noticed is that when your fighting (at least with khajit, haven't checked other races but it probably applies to all races) your character has an aggressive look with his teeth baring as opposed to his calm demeanor when you're not fighting. Neat small detail in Skyrim

I never noticed that either, that is kinda cool.

you cant cast spells, fight dragons & conjure undead in real life mate, what you been smoking recently?

The whole point of the post kind of went over your head, so I'm going to stop trying to explain.

Twiffle

Try looking at this .. .. .. when you kill a dragon run away quickly and as you devour its soul go to the map and you will see it glowing as the map is in real time and changes, showing weather, cloud day/night etc . . . but it does look cool a miniature dragon shape glowing as you take its soul.

Saint Vicious

Still sober
Try looking at this .. .. .. when you kill a dragon run away quickly and as you devour its soul go to the map and you will see it glowing as the map is in real time and changes, showing weather, cloud day/night etc . . . but it does look cool a miniature dragon shape glowing as you take its soul.

Ive heard about that before, but never tried it.

Krepency

Yeah I found that one out on accident. I happened to look at my map after killing a dragon while he was still on fire or whatever and I seen it on the map. That's when I learned the map is produced in real time. Bethesda does put quite alot of detail into the vast worlds they create.

Twiffle

Yeah I found that one out on accident. I happened to look at my map after killing a dragon while he was still on fire or whatever and I seen it on the map. That's when I learned the map is produced in real time. Bethesda does put quite alot of detail into the vast worlds they create.

Very true, makes you wonder how much we dont see as well !

aussiegirlz

Theoretically since Skyrim is not on earth it's on Nirn therefore it may not have the same gravitational pull - a very heavy earth weapon may not be so heavy on Nirn - arrow flight would be different, etc - tho I seriously doubt that is what they were going after when they created the game.

Bad-People

Supreme Overlord of the Barbarian Tribe of Hothor
I noticed while playing Oblivion that a Daedric mace weighs... 46 POUNDS! I made a mace that weighs six pounds, I'm a grown man who can bench press 270+ pounds and that six pound mace is harder than &%$# to swing. How does a little hundred and ten pound female wood-elf swing a 46 pound mace?!

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
A small detail I noticed when using illusion on giants is they seem to be related to Mer, they have pointed ears and the bumps on their head like some orcs. So there does seem to be some sort of genetic relationship which would make giants another species of mer. They also seem to have intelligence they can create fire and they have their own language you hear which is made up of different grunts. Also when approached they seem to do a threat dance, where they wave their club and move forward giving you a warning, which I found quite interesting that they seem territorial but will prefer not to engage in violence making them peaceful in nature.

I don't kill them anymore because I find them very interesting now as to what they do, found it funny when one used their club to scratch his behind. Smart indeed.

Bad-People

Supreme Overlord of the Barbarian Tribe of Hothor
Tamriel is the land of the Mer, humans came later so any indigenous humanoid is going to be a form of Elf. I'll go so far as to say all higher primates. I've noticed the pointy ears on Trolls and believe them to be a carnivorous Mer equivalent to gorillas.