• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Stereofanic

Hero of the defenceless, Champion of mankind
If I may respectfully disagree with this statement. The Daedra represent aspects of mortal sin, in their own Elder Scrolls way, therefore are inherently evil. Molag-Bol, Sithis, even Sanguine exhibit and perform acts that would be labeled as Evil. Less so in the case of Sanguine but his intentions where selfish and self serving.

What Skyrim did lack is the intervention of the Divines. The Daedra have always seemed to take more interest in the ways of mortals, more eager to give out their dreadful gifts to sow chaos in their name. Yet not once has Akatosh, Mara, or even Talos come forth with a request to be their champion.

Thank you!

The Fatalist

Destroyer of goats
I personally align myself with Meridia, my evil characters worship Dagon and some of my neutral characters make patronage to Peryite and Vaemina.
I find the Daedra far more interesting than the Aedra or Sithis, just by their nature. Daedra represent change, Aedra represent stasis.

As a certain person said to me in oblivion: (Skingrad I think?) "The gods do nothing. The Daedra actually DO things!"
If I may respectfully disagree with this statement. The Daedra represent aspects of mortal sin, in their own Elder Scrolls way, therefore are inherently evil. Molag-Bol, Sithis, even Sanguine exhibit and perform acts that would be labeled as Evil. Less so in the case of Sanguine but his intentions where selfish and self serving.

What Skyrim did lack is the intervention of the Divines. The Daedra have always seemed to take more interest in the ways of mortals, more eager to give out their dreadful gifts to sow chaos in their name. Yet not once has Akatosh, Mara, or even Talos come forth with a request to be their champion.

I respectfully disagree yet again.

Sithis is death (not a Daedra by the way) death is not evil, if no-one ever died, there would be problems.

Although I agree that Molag Bal, Mephala and perhaps Sanguine could be considered inherently evil, Princes such as Dagon, Azura, Peryite and Vaemina should not.

Dagon is the prince of destruction and natural disasters, but is a flood or a storm evil?

Azura is the price of Dusk and Twilight and cares for her servants, so is she evil? (Then again she does have a thing for revenge.)

Peryite is the Prince of pestilence, but is a plauge evil? He also has compassion for his dedicated followers and represents order. So he's a mixed one.

Vaemina is the Prince of Dreams and Nightmares, dreams are good, nightmares are bad. She just happens to be more fond of Nightmares.

You get the idea. Most of the Daedric Princes are the apparitions of the forces of nature, not the sins of mortals. Dagon does seem to act Maliciously, but that is simply the nature of destruction. Destruction is not a peaceful thing.

KrazyLizard

To The Fatalist,

You make some very good points, some I agree with some to an extent. Cause and Effect determines the nature of a deed in my opinion. If the flood is caused to wipe out a town who refused devotion, then yes that is an evil act. Should the flood happen when a shoddy man made dam breaks, then no that is not an evil act.

You proved me wrong with Sithis, this I will admit. Azura holds the Night yes, but what creature of good intentions would submit themselves to exist in darkness and keep company the things that thrive in it? IE Werewolves, Vampires..etc.

Peryite is a questionable example, yet I support the nature of pestilence as a means to mass murder large amounts of living creatures. No one ever said "Thank Peryite for that pox/plague, we almost had too much food!"

My thoughts on Deadra representing Sin still stand but only with a much broader meaning. The deeds required to attain a Deadric artifact contain aspects of conflicting morality meant to test the Player character. If your truly hardcore about Role play then your choices are yours to live with. If you just want to nab a very cool item then nothing with deter you from obtaining it.

IllusionaryDream

Sweetroll Thief
I dont think they are sins of mortals, but more likely emotions. Sanguine wwould be selfishness, Mehrunes Dagon the appetite for violence all living things possess, Molag Bal Anger/Hatred, Nocturnal fear maybe?(a common fear of the dark), Clavicus Vile deceptive behavior, so on and so forth. What do you guys think about that?