• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Omega Dragon

Dark Souls II was announced at the Spike Video Game Awards this evening. Take a look at the game’s debut trailer below:

Dark Souls II’s official website lists PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 as platforms. From Software and Namco Bandai appear to be collaborating on the title again. We’ll keep our eyes peeled for more news.

Dark Souls II Announced; Check Out Its First Trailer [Update] | Siliconera

FromSoftware is taking a break from mecha and going back to dark fantasy worlds with Dark Souls II. Namco Bandai announced the title tonight and the game will have a brand new hero. The story and world will also be new.

Oh, and so is the director. Tomohiro Shibuya who may have worked on some projects with Capcom is the director of Dark Souls II. Hidetaka Miyazaki, creators of the Souls series, will work on the game as a supervisor.

“This new chapter in the Dark Souls saga presents opportunities for us to drive innovation in gameplay design, develop an entirely new story, and expand the scope of the world in which the player interacts with the game. We have taken these necessary steps with Dark Souls II in order to evolve the overall experience of the Dark Souls series,” says Tomohiro Shibuya, FromSoftware Director on Dark Souls II. “The entire development team is striving to make Dark Souls II an experience that is fresh while not forsaking its roots in presenting players with challenging gameplay. Our goal is to surprise and delight our fans with new experiences and plot twists while enticing new players to join our dark journey.”

One of the "twists" is the team will change the multiplayer mode with a different concept of playing with others. Dark Souls II is in development for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PCs.

Dark Souls II Will Have A New Hero, New Storyline, And New Director | Siliconera

Dark Souls II details have spilled onto the internet courtesy of the latest issue of Edge.

For issue 249, which contains a ten-page feature (buy it online), the Edge team were treated to a ten minute demo of the sequel and described it as an "athletic leap forward in terms of graphical fidelity".

"There was an endearing shonkiness to the visual presentation of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls," reads the feature. "You never sensed photorealism was a virtue the team held in particularly high regard."

"Dark Souls 2, by contrast, looks effortlessly ready for the next generation of consoles, on a par with the fidelity of, say, Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313."

It goes on to say its visuals come "tantalisingly close" to hyper-realism.

According to Edge the sequel has been in development since September 2011 and will be "roughly the same size as its predecessor".

As implied by the name, Dark Souls 2 is a direct sequel to Dark Souls, but isn't set in Lordran. Although From Software didn't disclose the name of the new setting, it did say the name "will be key to the story" and will be revealed eventually.

Newly appointed director, Tomohiro Shibuya, was cagey on story details, offering up only a high-concept overview: It will once again focus on a cursed character seeking out a cure for his affliction.

Speaking about what distinguishes Dark Souls 2 from its predecessor, Shibuya alluded to "the concept of time and the existence of time" as key to game. He also says that "action" is something that he wants to improve in the game, be it motions or the combat system.

On the goal of making the game more accessible, Shibuya said familiar systems will be made much easier to understand.

"I personally feel the covenant system was something that was difficult to fully absorb and experience [in] Dark Souls," he said. "I intend to make it more accessible to players. And that's not just with the covenant system, but with a lot of other aspects that I felt were difficult to adapt to."

Finally, Shibuya discussed the inclusion of vehicles: "We want to constantly think of something new that hasn't been tried before, so that's where that idea [of the chariot] came up," he explained.

"Being in a ship or boat is definitely something we are considering but being able to control one is not in the works."

The Dark Souls 2 dev team is "Substantially bigger" and From Software has "nearly doubled the internal team focused on world creation alone," according to Edge. The game is estimated to be roughly 25% complete.

The first Dark Souls 2 trailer was shown earlier this month at the VGAs.

News: Dark Souls 2 detailed: Vehicles, 'next-gen' visuals and more - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

Clau

The Fateless One
Oh wow, I'm looking forward to this. About:

One of the "twists" is the team will change the multiplayer mode with a different concept of playing with others. Dark Souls II is in development for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PCs.

Maybe a team competition mode.

Rand Althor

Legionnaire
I cannot wait. I'm surprised there aren't more DS fans on this forum.

Rextoret

top kek
I'm slightly worried that they are replacing Miyazaki. The new director seems to be looking to 'open' the series up. And we all know what opening it up means. Easy mode, do not want.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts