Curing Chronic Re-roll Syndrome: The Birth of Bytor the Beserker.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I have done every single quest in Skyrim, but I have never had a single character past level 40. I want the glory, experience, and satisfaction that comes with a long term character. I have owned the game for over a year, and spent several days of my life playing it. Yet here I sit a year later and I might as well have just started today for all I have to show for it.

If this is something you have experienced, you are far from alone. If you follow this guide, I PROMISE you will beat this desire to re-roll.

Step 1: Accept that you will never create the "perfect" character.

Since we are stuck with our character for a long time, we want them to be perfect, and we can fall into the illusion that if we play the game over and over we will eventually discover and create this perfect character, and furthermore we will also discover the perfect order to play through the quest lines.

In Super Mario Brothers, you play as Mario. Mario on the surface is not the most attractive hero, he is a plumber, non-athletic, and a bit goofy. However, in that game he is the only option, thus you accept Mario and grow to like him (I know about Luigi, but work with me on this).

In Skyrim we are given nearly unlimited options from which to create our hero. The more options we are given, the less likely we are to be satisfied with our choice. No matter what we create their was probably another option that we would've thought looked better or played better.

So the first lesson is to understand that the heart of this addiction is this hopeless quest for perfection. Abandon this doomed quest NOW. When we create a long term character, we create a long-term relationship. Relationships are about accepting someone in spite of their imperfections. The running idea in this guide is to narrow down Skyrim's massive choices into a more manageable smaller SET of choices.

Step 2: Statistical Perfection is not the goal either.

Achieving statistical perfection IS POSSIBLE. If you want a character that just destroys absolutely everything in its path. These are the steps:
-Maximize the crafting skills (Alchemy, Enchanting, and Smithing).
-Create potions that fortify Enchanting and Smithing
-Drink and stack the Fortify Smithing potions until your creating weapons and armor with insane stats
-Repeat for insane enchantments.

However, if statistical perfection was the goal we would simply manipulate this trick and call it a day. The fact is that most of us are looking for a rewarding challenge. We don't want to be overpowered. What we want is a decent challenge and a fighting chance. Being overpowered is boring, and being underpowered just sucks. If you understand how the above trick works, you can avoid abusing the synergy of these skills to create a massively overpowered character.

Step 3: Choose an Archetype.

An archetype in this case means choosing between a character that is: Mage, Thief, or Warrior. Understand that we are not going to fill all of the perk trees. We are just choosing our character's bread and butter. The game-play question is "What do I like to do the most?" The role-play question might be "What did my character do before he came to Skyrim?"

Step 4: Choose a Core.
The core to me is basically 2 or 3 perk trees that will compose our character's primary offense and defense. We focus heavily on these trees because they ensure us that we always have a decent offense and defense, they keep us viable.

Warrior Cores:
Nimble Warrior: One Handed, Blocking, Light Armor
Tanking Warrior: Two-Handed, Heavy Armor

Thief Cores:
Assassin: Archery, One Handed, Sneak
Mystic Archer: Archery, Illusion
Sniper: Archery, Sneak

Mage Cores:
Direct: Destruction, Restoration
Indirect: Conjuration, Illusion

You might come up with another core, these are just examples off the top of my head. The questions here are: "How do I do damage?" and "How do I avoid damage?"

Choosing the core gives you a role-playing direction and gameplay viability, but because it only uses a couple of perk trees, you will have plenty of time to decide how to round yourself out. It may or may not also serve to aid you in:

Step 5: Selecting your race.
-Make a list of all the playable races.
-Cross off any of the races you certainty will not play as.
-Look at the presets for every race
-Cross off any races that you find unattractive
-Read some lore
-Decide whether to play standard (Orc Warrior) or oddball (Altmer-Warrior)
-Decide on Male or Female
-If your still not their decided yet, flip a coin for gender and play as an Imperial. You probably just need more play time. The added coinage will allow you to afford trying different styles. Take notes on what you like, and notes on how NPCs act.

Step 6: Building a Face and getting the weight slider just right.
-Setting all textures to the left and all the features to the middle results in a pleasing face for all races
-The middle weight is always safe
-Beast Races are easier to be happy with as you do not have to deal with subjective human beauty

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now I get to talk about Bytor the Berserker. He is an Orc. I picked the race because I am very visually obsessed, but not good at face gen. With an Orc it's easy because you just give him big fangs, red eyes, and a big beard with facepaint. Between the beard and face paint I didn't have to creat a perfect face because much of it is hidden. The weight slider is all the way to the right because I chose to make him a very traditional Orc. I build him off the Tank core from above. I didn't even have to achieve Mastery in those two perk trees to be a destructive force. I have a bunch of perks stocked away that I can still put wherever I want. His roleplay is also very easy, I can justify any whim I have with "because he is an Orc, and he wanted to." That's a good enough reason for Bytor.

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector
"In Skyrim we are given nearly unlimited options from which to create our hero. The more options we are given, the less likely we are to be satisfied with our choice. "

That is really the crux of the "reroll-itis" thing, you are exactly right. I made and started at least 6 characters in the span of two weeks because I thought I was either missing out on something better or I would get impatient with the character's progress and figured another set of options would be 'more interesting'.

This past weekend I deleted every character and started fresh, much in the way you described above. I'm going slowly (deliberately) and really trying to listen to the dialogue, observe the world and forget the stats as much as I can.

Looking forward to reading more from you!

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
My problem is one of the first things you mentioned.

Despite promising myself I won't "do it," I inevitably wind up powering up my smithing & enchanting and once that becomes OP, I quit playing that character.

HELP ME SOMEBODY!!!!

My problem is one of the first things you mentioned.

Despite promising myself I won't "do it," I inevitably wind up powering up my smithing & enchanting and once that becomes OP, I quit playing that character.

HELP ME SOMEBODY!!!!

I think that you probably do it because you want to play a combination of all three styles, and since the crafting skills link the Archetypes, you choose those.

I purpose that you try choosing an offense, defence, and craft from 3 diferent trees. Something like:

Hybrid Cores
Survivalist: One Handed, Restoration, Alchemy
Turret: Destruction, Archery, Smithing
Arcane Archer: Archery, Enchanting, Sneak

Something like that.

I have 2 tips for making a long duration character:

1 - Variety is the staff of life. Don't over-specialize, the worst case is the 2hander, he's got Attack, Power Attacks (x4) Block, and Bash. It doesn't take long to exhaust all the possibilities there. Ideally, I like Imperial, Spellsword/Shieldmage. They've got the best starter kit for Hack, Bash, Bolt, and Burn. You can juggle between a Shield, Spells, Hand Weapons in most any combination, Sword/Board, Spell/Sword, Spell/Shield, Dual Weild, Dual Cast, and various spell combos. Switching out tactics every fight changes it from the same-old same old, and the more trees you have to fill out, the longer it takes before you're picking perks just to get rid of them. Every level is a choice between Destruction, or 1 handed? Block, or Armor? There's some Restoration, and Enchanting in there too, but you get the idea, and that's just the skills you have starting bonuses in. (Since they start ahead, there's also a good chance of having multiple perks open before you have the points for them every level.) This means you need at least 40 to get all the good ones.

2 - Limit yourself somewhat. You don't want to get frustrated by restarting at the last save because you got smeared again, but nothing breaks out the yawns like running to the next fight, which is over all too quick, and there's little danger of taking significant damage. Conflict is tention, and nothing gets the heart racing like knowing you can die. I'd argue that when your heartbeat SFX kicks in, and you have a choice between risking that one shot that might finish the fight, or stagger for an opportunity to heal, and hitting the menu to guzzle potions in safety at the expense of breaking immersion, and copping out of an epically exciting fight, that's when I'm having fun! In the general build above, make poisons, and assisting potions, but don't depend on them for Healing, and use Restoration instead. Also, lay off the OP bullet time perks, and shouts. Nothing tells you you're in a video game like warping the world around you so you've got time to pop some corn, and smoke a cigarette while you decide on a counter. Elemental Fury, Dual Flurry, these give you the speed to do the same thing, but it's the fast twitch white knuckle gameplay that convinces your brain that you're in a fight for your life, instead of a romp through a digital world with a being of Godlike Power.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Arcane Archer: Archery, Enchanting, Sneak is usually my favorite and I end up power leveling enchanting & smithing to my eventual dismay....

I add Alteration, and Conjuration to my Arcane Archers for Bound Bow, and Magearmor. Since they're Weightless, you can run circles around the enemies, and your Stamina lasts forever. (Did I mention Altmer?) Once you get the Ranger, and Fast Draw perks, it's over. Sneak is just a splash for Deadly Aim, I just crouch long enough to take the shot, then relocate like a Sniper. You just have to get within range, and with the Bound Bow, you can cast it out of earshot. Eventually evolves into a necroarcher, or Range/summoner hybrid, BB is a great Conjuration trainer. There's nothing in the game that can't be taken down with BB, Dremora Lords, Storm Atronachs, Master Vampires, or some combination of the three. With a follower, and a Staff of the ___ Atronach, you can have all three out at once.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Arcane Archer: Archery, Enchanting, Sneak is usually my favorite and I end up power leveling enchanting & smithing to my eventual dismay....

I like the Witchhunter build, I fell in love with it when I made it the other day, enjoying hunting down dark magic users with my bound bow. Then smashing their face in with a mace while they're done.

I like the Witchhunter build, I fell in love with it when I made it the other day, enjoying hunting down dark magic users with my bound bow. Then smashing their face in with a mace while they're done.
That's the beauty of the Bound Bow, whatever was in your off hand when you cast it goes into Inventory (Unless another Bound Weapon, that glitches) and comes back automatically when it times out, or you sheathe. Dremora Lords, and Atronachs (With Atromancy) both have the same duration, so when they time out, make an opening, recast both, and go back to pincushioning...

It's also handy for a weapon, but I go with the Targe of the Blooded for turtling, and Bashing with Bleed. The Block tree is a lot more effective with fewer perks, as it Archery, so you can invest in Support skills.

Survivalist: One Handed, Restoration, Alchemy
I go with Archery, Smithing, and either Restoration, or Alchemy. (Depending if you count Archery as the Warrior Archetype, or Theif Guardian Stone.) Light Armor is optional, with the Standoff, and Healing, you can't be killed, but hunting with a Sword sux.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I go with Archery, Smithing, and either Restoration, or Alchemy. (Depending if you count Archery as the Warrior Archetype, or Theif Guardian Stone.) Light Armor is optional, with the Standoff, and Healing, you can't be killed, but hunting with a Sword sux.

I don't know, sometimes I find myself charging towards a deer like a madman with an axe. Sometimes they get so startled they just freeze there for a second.

Yeah, but you can't depend on that. I'm a survivalist IRL, and realistically, without Range, you're dead. I can make do with Illusion (Calm, or Fury so you can get close, or they come to you) Alteration (Detect Life/Paralysis) or Destruction (Thunderbolt) but Archery is the most efficient, if you can keep in arrows.

Twiffle

Cracking thread, pulls a few chains of concience i think, , but very true, i too am re-rolling, however due to daughter format all the memory, grrrrrrrr.

xsneakyxsimx

I add Alteration, and Conjuration to my Arcane Archers for Bound Bow, and Magearmor. Since they're Weightless, you can run circles around the enemies, and your Stamina lasts forever. (Did I mention Altmer?) Once you get the Ranger, and Fast Draw perks, it's over. Sneak is just a splash for Deadly Aim, I just crouch long enough to take the shot, then relocate like a Sniper. You just have to get within range, and with the Bound Bow, you can cast it out of earshot.

This intrigues me. A lot...

xsneakyxsimx

My problem is that, I always want to have a Male Nord Warrior as the Dovahkiin, because that is what, to me, the Dovahkiin should be. It's stupid, and I do know that lore says that any race can have the dragon-blood, but that's my problem. :\

I forgot to add something. A lot of times I think we come up with these "Grand Schemes" for our characters. I finally just said "I am going to make a character and finish all the major storylines with him."

Make a character with that one goal in mind.