• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Sometimes bashing with a crossbow does the same damage as firing with it, including the enchantment on the crossbow and the bolt equipped. Also, the bolt don't fire off in the process. Testing this with 50 crossbow bashes, 36 of them had this effect.

Sometimes bashing with a crossbow does the same damage as firing with it, including the enchantment on the crossbow and the bolt equipped. Also, the bolt don't fire off in the process. Testing this with 50 crossbow bashes, 36 of them had this effect.

I'd rather not exploit glitches.

Whether you exploit glitches or not is irrelevant, most people like to bash with there bows or crossbows to give them time to switch weapons. Its an unavoidable side effect to bashing.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
This isn't unique to the crossbow. The bug has been around for bows since launch. It also uses the Overdraw, Critical Shot, Bullseye, Steady Hand and Power Shot perks. It only happens when the bash immediately follows the firing of an arrow/bolt.

Whether you exploit glitches or not is irrelevant, most people like to bash with there bows or crossbows to give them time to switch weapons. Its an unavoidable side effect to bashing.

I never bash with my Bow, I simply summon my Boneman and Mistman, shoot until I get, unsheathe my Sword and Shield, and proceed to bash and slash.

Gunnbjorn

Formerly known as Arillious
A Dwarven Crossbow has higher damage than any bow in the game, Daedric or otherwise (base damage is 3 points higher than a Daedric Bow). Even the weaker crossbows have the same base damage as a Daedric Bow.

You are right, I should have done some research before making such a quick assumption, I am incorrect, which also means OP (berzum) is incorrect in saying,

However skyrim seems to me that crossbows fire slower and do less damage, while bows fire faster and do more damage with one arrow, WTF why did they make it this way?

Berzum - you have your conclusion, based on statistics, crossbows = higher damage, slower speed whereas bows = slightly less damage, faster speed. Choose based on your personal preference.

Instead of making a whole post about a basic question, perhaps you should try http://elderscrolls.wikia.com for a quicker, easier way to find the answers you need about the game. I'll take my same advice when responding. :)

I prefer the crossbow but once my character gets to about level 28 or 29 with the best armor available fully upgraded, it's just easier to run up and engage than to sit back and trade arrows/bolts.

Edgeheaded

Dunmer Warrior
Seriously? Bows take way more time to fire and they need stamina (not in the game) to stretch the bow back and release, that's what happens in real life also crossbows take less time an deal less damage and take almost no power from the archer, so no Skyrim didn't botch this.

Dagmar

In real life they do..
No they don't. If you bothered to look at the video you would realize this. You have to post a crossbow to the ground and brace it with your foot to cock it. Modern crank cocked crossbows aren't really any faster either. They're just simpler to use.

Edgeheaded

Dunmer Warrior
No they don't. If you bothered to look at the video you would realize this. You have to post a crossbow to the ground and brace it with your foot to cock it. Modern crank cocked crossbows aren't really any faster either. They're just simpler to use.

Not really, a crossbow does the work for you will bows require you to stretch your arm and consume stamina in order to fire.

Dagmar

Not really, a crossbow does the work for you will bows require you to stretch your arm and consume stamina in order to fire.
A crossbow doesn't cock for you. You have to do it and it takes more time to cock it than it takes to do a full draw on a longbow. That's not an opinion. It's an irrefutable fact. Again if you bothered to watch the video you would realize this as the medieval longbow fires off 10 arrows with a full draw for each in the time it takes for one of the fastest cocking medieval crossbows to fire 6 bolts.

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
They didnt . Crossbows are affected by the archery tree and do a lot of damage don't they?[/q

They m
They didnt . Crossbows are affected by the archery tree and do a lot of damage don't they?

I'm at archery level 99 with my Nord and my Breton, and I've filled my perk tree, and I agree with the opinion that cross bows are crap. Although I've only gotten Dwarven bolts to this point. Maybe there will be ebony bolts or something?!