• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
As I've mentioned, I have a tendancy to always do the Companions quests first off with my good characters.

On this run through there has been some real weirdness:

1) Apparently Farkas thinks he's Vilkas and uses his lines and sends me on the missions Vilkas usually does
2) Aela must really, really want her totems. She had me do one Animal Extermination and then followed up with all three totems!
3) Apparently Vilkas has had enough. Not only did he use all of Farkas' lines, but, when we did the Dragon killing radiant, not only did he not follow me to the Dragon, he waited on the other side of the mountain in a field of flowers. When I eventually found him, he teleported away from me (only about 10 fee) 1/2 a dozen times before I was able to speak with him and then said he wanted to "commune" with the bones?????
4) Finally, I got back to Jorrvasker, suddenly Skjor has come back to life! Yikes! Vilkas is nowhere to be found and I have to deal with Skjor? Ewww..... While I'm sure Aela is happy to have undead Skjor back, I am not.

Needless to say, I have now moved on to other things.

Anyone else have such flakey experiences with the Companions?

Yeah I sure have . I only go with the quest line as far a " Proving Honor " if I go beyond that Quest it starts messing up . X- BOX 360

Daelon DuLac

Yeah I sure have . I only go with the quest line as far a " Proving Honor " if I go beyond that Quest it starts messing up .
I don't mind the mess ups, they're just freeky. I always go through all the way to the end of Aela and curing the boys usually (I like being a were, although I have a recent Imperial build that I am going to make a gorgeous vampire lord (if that's even possible)). On this build, I'm a little troubled though as I cannot explain an Argo werewolf (2 different families! Mammalian and Reptile???) and, since I didn't even get the armor, it hardly seemed worth it for just a stupid ax. Too late now though.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
As I've mentioned, I have a tendancy to always do the Companions quests first off with my good characters.

On this run through there has been some real weirdness:

1) Apparently Farkas thinks he's Vilkas and uses his lines and sends me on the missions Vilkas usually does
Farkas has always been a radiant quest giver. You can approach any of Aela, Farkas or Vilkas for radiant quests
2) Aela must really, really want her totems. She had me do one Animal Extermination and then followed up with all three totems!
You only need to complete one radiant quest. The Totems quests are triggered after progressing to a certain point in the main quest line and completing one radiant quest afterwards
3) Apparently Vilkas has had enough. Not only did he use all of Farkas' lines, but, when we did the Dragon killing radiant, not only did he not follow me to the Dragon, he waited on the other side of the mountain in a field of flowers.
Vilkas has a movement bug that sometimes manifests where he won't move to the quest objective.
When I eventually found him, he teleported away from me (only about 10 fee) 1/2 a dozen times before I was able to speak with him and then said he wanted to "commune" with the bones?????
That sounds like dialogue from the end of the Glory of the Dead quest.
4) Finally, I got back to Jorrvasker, suddenly Skjor has come back to life! Yikes! Vilkas is nowhere to be found and I have to deal with Skjor? Ewww..... While I'm sure Aela is happy to have undead Skjor back, I am not.
Common bug. It rarely doesn't manifest for me. I just delete him with a console command but if you're on a console you're stuck with him. As for Vilkas there are several bugs where a Companion follower can "disappear" so it's hard to say where he is (assuming he isn't dead).

Daelon DuLac

Agree with all of it. Fortunately, it didn't really interfere with anything (I was basically finished anyhow, although I'll never get to cure Vilkas I guess, but at least the 20# of witch heads is out of my inventory - and, yes, I know, quest items don't weigh anything, but these do - I even checked). Re: Vilkas - he isn't dead, just apparently replaced at Jorrvaskr with Skjore. I actually did run in to him again when I was up in the same area and he was basically in the same place, just down the hill and at the side of the road. You'd think he'd get lonely up there all by himself, but, at least there's a few bear and wolves to keep him company (he was fighting a bear when I ran in to him again).

Oh well - exciting! SR glitches, gotta luv 'em. I have so many flying mammoth now that I've taken to shooting them out of the sky like Dragons.

Rimfaxe96

Today I visited Heimskr in Whiterun's prison. While going out a guard turned to me and said that I should tell the folk at Jorrvaskr to keep things down because the howling of our hounds there were getting out of hand. I literally laughed him out loud and thought "Dude, if you only knew..."

Patches

Skjor hasn't been raised from the dead yet, but I have had plenty of glitches. While u was in Windhelm an elder dragon attacked and I got on my horse to run away (Yesh, I like to let other people ground them then cut them up with deathbrand scimitars) and as I was running, the dragon swooped down and shadowmere and I were on the back if a dragon for a split second. Then I got flung into yhe ground and had to reload. I'd call it a unique variant of a flying horse :p

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
Agree with all of it. Fortunately, it didn't really interfere with anything (I was basically finished anyhow, although I'll never get to cure Vilkas I guess, but at least the 20# of witch heads is out of my inventory - and, yes, I know, quest items don't weigh anything, but these do - I even checked). Re: Vilkas - he isn't dead, just apparently replaced at Jorrvaskr with Skjore. I actually did run in to him again when I was up in the same area and he was basically in the same place, just down the hill and at the side of the road. You'd think he'd get lonely up there all by himself, but, at least there's a few bear and wolves to keep him company (he was fighting a bear when I ran in to him again).

Oh well - exciting! SR glitches, gotta luv 'em. I have so many flying mammoth now that I've taken to shooting them out of the sky like Dragons.
I too have shot mammoths out of the sky on occasion! lol There are some glitches that are such a rare and funny occurance that i can't help but keep them, like the one time at college of winterhold where the arch mage was dead but everyone "Including arncano who i was supposed to kill after this took place!!" just returned to business as usual, i still have that save! :p

Chadonraz

Oh yes. I've had so many bugs and glitches with that questline that I've stopped counting.
Let's see...

- "The Silver Hand" got stuck at the blood ritual part; nothing happened after I activated the fountain. I tried all kinds of things to advance the quest, from waiting a few hours to activating the fountain from various different spots, but nothing. I did eventually fix it, but it took several reloads from before entering the Underforge.
- After Kodlak's funeral, Eorlund never showed up in the Underforge, with or without Wuuthrad. After the twins and Aela finished their conversation, absolutely nothing happened. This one was thankfully fixed with just one reload, IIRC.
- Mount Anthor won't spawn dragons during "Dragon Seekers", even if I've never killed a dragon there before. Twice I've gotten that location for the quest, and twice it's been "empty". The second time Vilkas and I did kill a dragon (plus a Mammoth and its two Giant buddies...) near MA, at the random area between Wayward Pass and Alftand. It wasn't the quest objective dragon, though. The marker, as I found out upon reaching MA, was pointing at a random (very empty) spot quite far from the Word Wall.
The first time it at least pointed at where the dragon was supposed to be. -.-
- Skjor has only been resurrected twice, but I still hate that glitch.

Patch 1.9 introduced a brand new bug, which is particularly annoying but also kind of hilarious.
At the end of "Proving Honor", when we return to Whiterun, Vilkas won't be waiting at the top of the stairs. Or rather he does stand there, but turns to go inside a few seconds after Farkas and I enter the Whiterun cell. No matter if we travel through the city gates, or fast travel to Dragonsreach or the stables or the city, he always does the same thing.
To top it off, he doesn't actually enter Jorrvaskr, but teleports straight to the training yard, where the next part will automatically begin. The objective "Follow Vilkas" and its associated dialogue never happen, which will cause problems later.
The only "fix" I've found (and believe me, I've tried everything) is fast traveling to Dragonsreach, and then sprinting (preferably with Whirlwind Sprint) straight to him. And when I say straight, I mean straight. There's literally no time to follow the Dragonsreach stairs, much less the street.

RY14NCE

Dragonborn
Skjor's dead body came to see me get married once. o_O

RY14NCE

Dragonborn
See! Necormancy has it perks!

It does! Haha. But the genius who brought him forgot to resurrect him (Obviously read half of a book on Necromancy and was like ,"I got it from here"). So through the ceremony, a big dead nord was lying face down in the middle of the room and no one batted an eye...

Daelon DuLac

See! Necormancy has it perks!

It does! Haha. But the genius who brought him forgot to resurrect him (Obviously read half of a book on Necromancy and was like ,"I got it from here"). So through the ceremony, a big dead nord was lying face down in the middle of the room and no one batted an eye...
Eek! At least mine was up and walking, talking, being insultling and just downright annoying. Hmm... I wonder if he's killable after he's dead. It might be enough to make a werewolf join the silver hands!

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
Aela got REALLY REALLY MAD at me for taking a companion to use as a sacrifice at Boethiah's shrine. She followed me all over Skryim interrupting me with her dialogue. She had no dialogue to use other than her standard lines, so that's what she kept yelling at me!