Community Skyrim Roleplay In Game

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Katastrophe

King of Tales
I have no idea how better to word the title to describe this idea, so hopefully it caught your eye... well, it must have, if you're reading this...

Anyways, here's the idea. I see this community and I see a lot of people doing the journals, roleplaying on the site, etc... but I've been thinking (albeit briefly) and I thought to possibly combine these two ideas. So, if you'll allow me to rant and what's could easily be the craziest idea ever suggested...

Here's how it works.
You start a new character. You set the difficulty to Expert and you reduce your Brightness to about half. Something a little more realistic for a world lit by candles, eh? For those playing on PC, disable all mods that alter gameplay performance. If it's visual, feel free to leave it. Also, please disable the "Show Floating Markers" option and unfollow quests as soon as you get them. When you start Helgen, choose Ralof or Hadvar, whichever. But whomever you choose, you do nothing. No locks picked, no daggers swung - nothing. All you are allowed to do is loot one iron dagger, one lockpick and all the gold you can find. From there, you swim down river to Whiterun and take the carriage to a city I randomly assign to you.

This is where your character, all characters, begin. Beyond this, it gets a little... fuzzy. Ideally, we would mix our in-game actions with forum roleplay. So in order to accomplish something in the roleplay, we must accomplish it in-game. So say you want to raid Silverdrift Lair. Fine. Go through it, clear it, come out, roleplay it. Now if someone else comes in and goes through Silverdrift Lair, in-game they can clear it but in the roleplay, they'll discover it the way you left it. If that makes any sense...

We could also come up with self-imposed rules we must all follow, but nothing too over the top.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
It actually sounds kind of interesting, I might be up for something like that... kind of "Dungeon-Master" driven.

One minor issue on the readthrough though is that you won't have acquired enough gold to hire the carriage. :confused: Details could be ironed out later.

Let me know if you want to pursue this. I'm game.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
Really? Is there more gold on Master?
Because I've done this many times and always have over 50 gold, enough for even the more expensive rides.

I'm interested in this, but I'd like some help from those also interested in ironing it out. Mainly the main quest, guild quests, etc. Cause I think it'd be really cool if someone could, in fact, rise to the rank of guild master. Obviously, this is possible in some guild quests but who would get the honor of completing them? Who would become a Nightingale? etc.

JakeGeorge!

Orc Life
So it'd be a story including all of us as adventurers, but we can never do something someone else has done? Or we can, but on here it would already be done by the original person to do it?

Katastrophe

King of Tales
So it'd be a story including all of us as adventurers, but we can never do something someone else has done? Or we can, but on here it would already be done by the original person to do it?
The second. Say I am start in Whiterun and you start in Winterhold. Chances are good that I will end up going to Bleak Falls Barrow before you. I think I might organize it in a different way so we know where people are at in-game as oppose to in-roleplay...

But I'd be able to roleplay going through Bleak Falls Barrow.
In your game, you could go there and clear it out to get the rewards, experience, etc.
But in the roleplay, you would find it as I left it.

If I steal from someone's lockbox, however...
We could say that they refilled it? It depends on the items, I guess.
Like those Stones of Beneziah or whatever... once found, in the roleplay, you're the only one that has that particular stone.

But yes, with what Hermaeus_Mora said, it requires quite a bit of ironing out.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
Really? Is there more gold on Master?
Because I've done this many times and always have over 50 gold, enough for even the more expensive rides.

My mistake, for some reason I thought the carriage rides were 500/300.

I arrived in Whiterun with just an Iron Dagger, Roughspun Tunic, Footwraps, a few lockpicks, and 93 gold in my pocket.

I'm interested in starting writing, how should we go about starting the roleplay? Were we all at Helgen? Did we all escape together? Or does our adventure begin outside of that first cave?

Just as an FYI, I'm playing a female Redguard, "Inevera Jardir".

2012-08-06_00033.jpg

TheDovahkiin

The Fabled Stealer Of Sweetrolls
VERY interesting. Not going to participate, because I have put to much TLC into my current Play-Through to stop. VERY cool though :).

Something like this perhaps;

If two players are in the same city very near each other - Like one is at Solitude's fletcher and the other at Castle dour - they need to have a dialogue here.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
Alright so... off the top of my head... let me make some rules up. You all can comment on them, add to them, whatever. I'm just going to throw out a foundation here.

Basic Rules:
1. Set your difficulty to Expert. I'd prefer Master but I'll leave that up to 'community opinion'.
2. Play through Helgen and let only the NPCs handle everything. Don't cast any spells, make any attacks, nothing. Loot only the gold you can find (via any means so long as it won't increase your skills) and one iron dagger. Obviously, keep the clothes you have on.
3. You must sleep once a day in a reasonable fashion. This is just to prevent people from doing balls out adventures. I don't think eating/drinking should be included simply because as I noticed in my journal, once you actually start to hit your stride, it just becomes a chore rather than an immersive factor.
4. Once you exit Helgen, go down to the river. Do not activate a stone. Swim to Whiterun. Careful on some waterfalls - there are rocks that can kill you. Found out the hard way...
5. You will take a carriage to one of these cities that I assign to you randomly (via randomizer.org): Whiterun, Markarth, Riften, Windhelm, Winterhold, Dawnstar, Solitude, Falkreath or Morthal.
6. No fast travel. You may only use the carriages or ferrymen (Dawnstar addition).
7. It is preferred that you have Dawnstar. Actually, let's just assume that everyone has Dawnstar. If you don't, you can't participate in it in-game, but in the roleplay you can. I highly recommend getting it though.
8. Please turn your brightness down to about half, if you don't already. I noticed that this makes the game much more realistic in terms of lighting and night time. I have to test this out in caves... torches and what not should be pretty much necessary in-game.
9. You may not steal anything from a dead body that is equipped. It is presumably broken or not properly fitted. The exception is arrows.
10. Possibly include the 'Dead is dead' rule...? Or maybe limit your number of lives...?
11. Possibly reduce carrying capacity?

Roleplaying Rules:
1. There will be an OOC thread that is for obvious OOC chat, but once you do something worth mentioning, this will alert people before they make a post that you're also in that area. This would include stealing something or looting a chest, entering a cave, etc. All NPC inventory and their personal property respawns every in-game week. NPCs do not, however, respawn. Don't be a dick and kill an entire town...
2. When you enter a cave, after you clear it, just list the loot you got in two categories: free loot and in chests. Free loot never respawns - you may only take it and sell it in your game. Chest loot also doesn't respawn, but it's different for every play through so you can take and use any chest loot that has NOT been previously mentioned. Again, you can loot previously mentioned stuff but only sell it. I'll have a google doc that keeps track of everything.
3. The main quest line is to pretty much be ignored in terms of roleplay. You may use shouts, however, but none of us shall be the slayers of Alduin.
4. The guild quest lines will also be ignored. You should also not use equipment you receive from them (Nightingale armor) this is considered 'special'. Instead, they will be formed in-game. The first person acquire the Guild Master armor set, for example, can opt to become the master of the Thieves Guild. Or something... this really needs to be ironed out. I'd prefer to have the guilds and such in the game run and driven by players.

That's about all I can come up with at the moment...

K3V!N

This sounds like a lot of fun, I'm down to participate! Loved hardcore mode in Fallout and was hoping there would be something similar in Skyrim.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
This sounds like a lot of fun, I'm down to participate! Loved hardcore mode in Fallout and was hoping there would be something similar in Skyrim.
I think we all were.

And I'd love to get this started since it does have a nice, although small, following at the moment.
I just want every to be in agreement on these rules and what not.